We may need some corrections

Thread: We may need some corrections

We may need some corrections

After some short research, I've come across two anomalies in the JHS England file and the London Landmarks files. The first is in the JHS England. What is labeled RAF Ramsgate airfield should be RAF Manston and what is labeled RAF Manston should be, as near as I can figure, RAF Zeals, operational from only after 1941. Manston was only renamed Ramsgate Airport post WW II.

The second anomaly is the model for the Battersea Power Station. It is seen as it exists today with the two buildings and four smoke stacks. However, the second building (Battersea B) and it's two smoke stacks were not built until the 1950's. In order to appear correct for WW II dating it should be only one building with two smoke stacks at it's far ends. Renaming airfields and remodeling buildings are far beyond my capabilities but maybe someone could make these corrections for future use.

Also came across this, Battersea Power Station circa 1940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battersea Power Station 1940.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	89744

Just to correct you on the Manston matter, RAF Manston has been operational from 1916 until its transfer to civilian use in 1996, what cause's confusion is that there's also a Ramsgate Airport opened for civilian use in 1935, was briefly RAF Ramsgate during the war, returned to civil use and closed in 1968. I know all this as i live in Ramsgate, about a mile from the eastern end of the runway, which i can see from my Kitchen window.
    It always bugged me the M$ placed Manston in a completely different part of the country in CFS1/2.

Library Staff
    Ian, I use your CFS2 version of Manston as well as Hawkinge because they are in the correct geographical locations. I moved Achim's Ramsgate further east to its correct location for my own use.

When I updated Achim's airfield packages I didn't alter the airfield locations because of the number of missions based on both his and Gary Burns' renditions. The wrong location of Manston in the two sims has always bugged me as well.

Col_Wolf, I think doing some demolition at Battersea shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll be expanding the British landmarks package soon. The gasometers adjacent to the power station, as well as other locations, will be included, along with a cooling tower, a brick chimney, another Thames bridge and Southend Pier. Here are some shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gasometer_2.jpg   Gasometer_1.jpg   Gasometer_3.jpg   Chimney_2.jpg   Cooling_Tower.jpg   London_WaltonBridge.jpg  

These look outstanding KD. Don't know how you do it, but your object artistry keeps getting better.

Library Staff
    Thanks Scoobyman, but I didn't make the original models. I converted them to Gmax and I'm presently doing their damaged models, in between a couple of other projects. I don't know if any gas holders were hit during the war, but you would expect them to have gone off with a bang.

Ian, I was unaware that Manston was also misplaced in CFS1. The talented folks here that created the European Theatre for CFS2 as an aftermarket addon probably just carried over the mistake by using CFS1 as a reference. After all, who'd have guessed the (insert sarcasm here) Great and Powerful Wizards of MS would have got it wrong in the first place?

Library Staff
    CFS1 also got the location of Juvincourt completely wrong. This was also carried over to CFS2 but corrected by Pen32win.

When I get my current projects out of the way, I'll fix the Manston/Ramsgate issue once and for all. With Ian's permission I'll adapt either his CFS2 or his FS2004 1935 version to represent the airfield at the time of the Battle of Britain. I'll move Achim's Ramsgate to its correct location as well.

In the mean time here is Achim's Manston renamed Zeals. Delete the two BGL files named Compton Abbas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Feel free to use anything of mine that may be useful

Library Staff
    Thanks Ian, I'll modify your CFS2 1942 version. I'll remove the concrete runway and add infrastructure which was there in 1940. I'll use or make destructible GSL objects. Do you know which buildings were destroyed by the Luftwaffe?

Cheers,
    Kevin

Kdriver

I'm a little rusty on this. Here's a list of stupid questions... Should the wrongly named Manston BGL's causing it to be just north of Warmwell be removed from the JHS England scenery folder? Should the file named Manston in the JHS England texture folder be altered? Should the airfield named Manston in the airfield DAT file be replaced using the one you provided for Zeals? Also, I have no BGL's named Compton Abbas in my JHS England scenery folder.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for working on the Philippines. Ya’ll do whatever you want to upgrade it and I’ll be happy . I wouldn’t mind having the area of Clark Airforce Base in Angeles City. I knew a girl there. Her name was Abby. Sometimes I wish I was still there. I have been to Manila and Subic with Abby so yeah I like the Philippines.

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by _486_Col_Wolf View Post
    Kdriver

I'm a little rusty on this. Here's a list of stupid questions... Should the wrongly named Manston BGL's causing it to be just north of Warmwell be removed from the JHS England scenery folder? Should the file named Manston in the JHS England texture folder be altered? Should the airfield named Manston in the airfield DAT file be replaced using the one you provided for Zeals? Also, I have no BGL's named Compton Abbas in my JHS England scenery folder.
    If you have the latest version of JHS UK, I renamed the Manston in Dorset Compton Abbas, which turns out to be a post war airfield. As you suggested Zeals is the closest wartime airfield, so I've now renamed it that. Whether you have the BGLs named Manston, Compton Abbas or Zeals, the texture name contained within is still manston.bmp. The Manston BGL files need removing from your scenery folder. The airbases.dat entry is simply the old Manston entry renamed Zeals. There is no need to add an extra entry - just open the file with Notepad and hand edit the Manston/Compton Abbas entry.

The combined AFD BGL file I sent also negates all the separate AFD BGLs for each airfield. I suggest downloading all the latest JHS airfield packages, as there are a few additions as well as some other corrections to the naming of airfields, e.g. Castle Camps instead of Haverhill, Scatsta instead of Gonfirth.

Kdriver,

All went well with the rename, however I have over 200 missions installed. Most of them rely on the original JHS-England BGL's so using the combined AFD will not work for me at this time. Is there a way you can make an AFDD BGL for Zeals only as a replacement for the Manston AFD so that it shows up on the starting airfield list?

Library Staff
    Missions are unaffected as no aerodromes have been moved nor have their IDs been changed in the airbases.dat file. Here is a separate AFD BGL file in any case.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you know which buildings were destroyed by the Luftwaffe?
    Hi, i would say my 1935 FS9 version is closer than the CFS2 version, i did it a long time ago and not as accurate. The large hangers and railway workshops on the western side were the main target's, in good weather they could easily be seen from across the channel. If you have FS9 installed, you could have a look at my RAF Manston 44 FS9 zip released in 2020, it include's the concrete runway and post Battle of Britian T2 Hanger's but its as close as ive got yet. Ive got a 1935 air ministry map which is pretty representative up to 1940, i can copy if you PM me

Kdriver

Thanks for the seperate BGL. The reason I stated the single England BGL would affect my existing missions is that all the mission intelligence and briefing info would have to be re-written to reflect the new names. If it's only Zeals and the upcoming Manston change that's fine. But all the rest is alot for me to rewrite at this time.

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Hi, i would say my 1935 FS9 version is closer than the CFS2 version, i did it a long time ago and not as accurate. The large hangers and railway workshops on the western side were the main target's, in good weather they could easily be seen from across the channel. If you have FS9 installed, you could have a look at my RAF Manston 44 FS9 zip released in 2020, it include's the concrete runway and post Battle of Britian T2 Hanger's but its as close as ive got yet. Ive got a 1935 air ministry map which is pretty representative up to 1940, i can copy if you PM me
    Thanks Ian - will do. I have both your FS9 1935 and 1944 versions plus a few aerial photos taken around the time of the Battle of Britain.

I was thinking of adding a 1940 version of Manston to your CFS2 aerodrome package. Apart from the massive concrete runway, the loop taxiway and associated hangar need to be removed from your 1942 version.

If you concur I can replace the hangars and workshops with their GSL destructible equivalents. If we don't have identical models in CFS2, I can run your API ones through Gmax and make destructible GSL versions.

Col_Wolf, I won't do anything that affects missions. At the moment both Ian's Manston and Achim's Ramsgate coexist side by side. I'll leave it to the users to pick and choose what they want in their ETO installations.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Kdriver,

Is there a way that the JHS England Ramsgate can be renamed Manston with it's own AFD BGL?

Library Staff
    It can be done but I'm reluctant to do it because Ian's version is used in a mission by Brunosk. Ian did get in first building Manston for CFS2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arrival_at_Manston.JPG  

Library Staff
    Hi Folks,

Aussie has kindly come to the rescue by demolishing the post-war additions to Battersea power station and doing great damage models for the gasometers, cooling tower and Walton-on-Thames Bridge - thanks Aussie!

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battersea.jpg  

Library Staff
    In addition, Aussie has done a great job removing modern additions to Southend Pier and rebuilding the Victorian pavilion - thanks very much Aussie!

By the way, that's Allen's hotel in the foreground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southend Pier.jpg  

Just to chip in here...

... I don't know if this is relevant or helps here , but have any of you guys seen this site ?

https://www.manstonhistory.org.uk/ma...ayout-history/

Library Staff
    Hi Fibber,

Yes, it's excellent. Looking at the photos and Ian's models, you can see he's made faithful reproductions of the Manston buildings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manston_3.jpg   Manston_11.jpg  

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Thanks Ian - will do. I have both your FS9 1935 and 1944 versions plus a few aerial photos taken around the time of the Battle of Britain.

I was thinking of adding a 1940 version of Manston to your CFS2 aerodrome package. Apart from the massive concrete runway, the loop taxiway and associated hangar need to be removed from your 1942 version.

If you concur I can replace the hangars and workshops with their GSL destructible equivalents. If we don't have identical models in CFS2, I can run your API ones through Gmax and make destructible GSL versions.

Col_Wolf, I won't do anything that affects missions. At the moment both Ian's Manston and Achim's Ramsgate coexist side by side. I'll leave it to the users to pick and choose what they want in their ETO installations.

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

Very interesting developments, especially on Zeals. Keep me posted!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0