Fort Frank

Thread: Fort Frank

Hybrid View

Fort Frank

Making some slow progress with a model of Fort Frank - attached. Still needs a lot of of poking, but might be convertible to a CFS2 scenery object at some point? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carabao.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	89734

Library Staff
    Looking good RW. I'm also working on Manila Bay. Here's a shot of Cavite and Sangley Point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cavite.jpg  

Nice. It will be good to refine the entire area, and around to Subic Bay. The missions/campaign are good with the airfields being in the combat zone. - I've done a very quick Carabao (and Monja) in G2K, but as with Forth Hughes/Caballo it's just flat an at sea level so fairly rubbish, but a lot better than the blob that was there before and really helps as points of reference when flying. Hopefully a lot of the work on Fort Frank will be useful for doing the same with Fort Hughes, Fort Wint and maybe even Corregidor. I've still got to work out how to convert the CAD model into a scenery object for CFS2 but I can at least make some .dxf/.obj files and make them available if someone wants to have a play with them. I've managed to install Gmax and can import .dxf files no m so I can also save models as Gmax files now as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery_Koehler.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	89738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carabao_2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	89737

Interesting work gentlemen. The Philippines islands were so very important in the Pacific war and as yet underdeveloped for the game.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Library Staff
    Have you tried FSDEM and SRTM to BGL, found at AVSIM, for creating mesh? I haven't yet but I'm interested to hear if anyone has had success with these programs in CFS2.

I've had a look at a few programs that claim to be able to create mesh, but haven't made any progress with them. It would be nice to find a way to get the mesh function in G2K to work! Currently I'm having a look (occaisionally!) at FSRail, but as with almost all of the CFS2 related software, the learning process is slow and painful, with a lot of going around in circles.

gmax file of the bare island attached if anyone wants to play with it. Fort_Frank_gmax_file.zip

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    I've had a look at a few programs that claim to be able to create mesh, but haven't made any progress with them. It would be nice to find a way to get the mesh function in G2K to work! Currently I'm having a look (occaisionally!) at FSRail, but as with almost all of the CFS2 related software, the learning process is slow and painful, with a lot of going around in circles.
    I made some mesh with G2K for the Kiel Canal and the Firth of Forth. The mesh was very simple compared to what you've done building Fort Frank. The Gmax model of the island looks great. Will the gun batteries be part of the same model?

Members who have read this thread: 1