Anyone have an XP computer or an XP VM that runs Shiny?

Thread: Anyone have an XP computer or an XP VM that runs Shiny?

Question Anyone have an XP computer or an XP VM that runs Shiny?

I need a little help adding specular gloss to a few model files.

Does anyone still have a computer that runs WinXP, or one with an XP virtual machine, that can run Shiny?

My current rig runs Win10pro and will eventually have an XP VM but that won't happen for a while since my friend who knows how to set this stuff in presently overwhelmed with multiple serious family and medical troubles. So for now I can't gloss up the model files that a few skins for the B-45 project require. It's the last thing to be done before the project is ready for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I need a little help adding specular gloss to a few model files.

Does anyone still have a computer that runs WinXP, or one with an XP virtual machine, that can run Shiny?

My current rig runs Win10pro and will eventually have an XP VM but that won't happen for a while since my friend who knows how to set this stuff in presently overwhelmed with multiple serious family and medical troubles. So for now I can't gloss up the model files that a few skins for the B-45 project require. It's the last thing to be done before the project is ready for release.
    Hi Mick,

It could be done using MDLMAT which works just fine on W10. PM me with your need.

Cheers
    L'iguane

I just tried to see if I could figure out enough about mdlmat to do the job. Mdlmat loaded normally and I could open a model file with it. I went through every line and changed the specular level from black to white only to find that the save button was grayed out and wouldn't work.

I should have looked at that first before I wasted my time!

I have PM'd you with more information.

HOT HOT NEWS!

With some outside help MK MDLC works on Windows again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK_MDLC_LOSE10.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	90394

Also OldNewExplorerCfg is a live saver. Turned it off for the Lose 10 screenshot. How dose anyone stand the windows Ribbon Bar explorer interface.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Where did you find that?

And what about that ugly banner in the screenie? Is that what my Win10 rig would look like if I didn't have those little programs you sent me back in the autumn when I was first firing up this rig?

Not sure how much interest FS02/FS04 users have for MK_MDLC but I have a test version posted that I hope has all of the buggies fixed.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1311575
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Thanks Allen, you can wonder how many people still fiddle with FS9 , but I really missed this easy to use model converter. So I'm please to see attempts to get it back. (After reading the "readme" I'm not convinced it will run under Windows 10)

I tried to get familiar with MDLmat, but I never managed to use it to its full potential.

Cheers,
    Huub

I have saved these items but I'm not rushing to install them or learn how to use them. That's because at some point, hopefully not too far in the future, I will have a WinXP virtual machine installed in my rig and it should run anything that my old XP and W7pro rigs could run, and they could run anything I've ever needed. In the meantime I can run almost everything I'd like to, so I don't have a pressing need for the few things I can't run yet. And I have more things on my to-do list that I can do now than I have hobby time for. So for the time being I plan to prioritize fun over work and spend my limited hobby time working With the computer rather than working On it.

Members who have read this thread: 0