Curtiss P-40B

Thread: Curtiss P-40B

Curtiss P-40B

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: CFS2 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk/Tomahawk

Original P-40B 3d model designed by the incredibly talented Witold Jaworski. I'd also like to say a big thank you to:
    SopwithC, Tango, Watchdog22 and KDriver for all their assistance in completing this package.

Aircraft model designed by Aussie using a combination of Blender, 3D Studio Max 2012 and gmax.

Airfile designed by Aussie using Airwrench v1.01.99b.

DP designed using DPedit, final tweaking by SopwithC and Aussie.

Gauges designed by Aussie with a special thank you to Martin Klein for his unreserved assistance along the way.

Textures designed by Watchdog22, Sopwithc, Smashing Time and Aussie, representing 17 aircraft of the USAAC, AVG, RAF, RAAF and VVS.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Curtiss P-40B
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Here are some shots of Aussie's beautiful aeroplane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-40B_VC.jpg   P-40B_2D.jpg   P-40B_RAF26.jpg   P-40CU.jpg   P-40B_RAAF3.jpg   P-40B_337.jpg  

P-40B_RAF349.jpg   P-40B_AVG.jpg  

Wow! A lot of work put in to an already great aircraft model. Can't wait to try these out. My favorite bird to fly, gonna have to dust off the AVG campaign, or perhaps Operation Exporter.

New paint jobs look fantastic, and the VC is a massive improvement. Many thanks for these Westfront!

Wow! Thank you!!!

Many thanks for this jewel Aussie, keep on your nice work

Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by kdriver; January 22nd, 2023 at 13:52.

Me too on the AVG campaign. Haven't flown that one in a while.
    Thanks

Sublime Aussie. A work of art!!

Thanks Aussie. Truly a labour of love putting everything together like this.

75 downloads in the first 24 hours - not bad

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for the wonderful comments.

UncleTgt, a labour of love it was for sure. The P-40 is my favorite plane and I wanted to do it justice. Even threw in the CU model as a bonus.

Cheers
    Aussie

And a 349 Sqn paint at that. I don't play CFS2 anymore, but as a Belgian, I can't thank you enough!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Hi Aussie
    Great Work
    Textures are super.
    Thanks for these.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Thank for this Tomahawk! One question, why is the frame rate hit so heavy with the 2D panel? In the VC, I'm getting around 167fps, where as 33-40 with the panel. This is windowed mode.

Full screen I'm getting 60 FPS (matches my Monitor's refresh rate of 60hz).

Blog Entries
    Must be a well detailed well painted panel. Frame rates will improve greatly by not having everything else on the computer running in the background. You can adjust the startup menu yourself or use a program like game booster or razor to launch your games with. Panels do effect frame rates but panels are nothing more than a skin texture that covers the modals panel area like a wing texture would a wing itself but it’s not the actual wing and neither is a panel it’s just their to hold gauges and look purty The Vc panel is the actual panel that’s why you can slap the zero panel into a wildcat and it works just as good until you try using the vc then nothing works because it isn’t the correct panel. The modal itself is the biggest frame rate eater and if it was weak to start with a panel will certainly have a more powerful punch on the frame rates then it would if it wasn’t already being bogged down. Shooting a shotgun Is hard on the shoulder but if you haven’t been shooting your shoulder should take it well but keep shooting it’s gonna hurt because it can’t keep absorbing that kind of punishment. When frame rates take a hit even minor stuff adds up faster like a five year old girl slapping you on the back after you been sunburned as if she done it before it wouldn’t bother you a bit. A little tweaking is all you need usually and if you got the dough they certainly have PCs that will make CFS 2 and 3 play without a hitch graphics wise but windows is likely the China waiting to attack Taiwan now and when it does it’s gonna get harder and harder to run.

Hi Browncoat,

What screen res does your monitor use? There are various size 2D panel bitmaps and corresponding panel.cfg's in the panel folder and by default it uses the 1920x1080 bitmap. It is a very large model and every aspect of it is pushing the boundaries of what the sim can handle, including gauges and even the pilot.

Cheers
    Aussie

Hi Aussie,

I run a 1440p monitor whose native resolution is 2560x1440. The native resolution is beyond the max resolution that CFS2 can support so I have the resolution in the cfg file set to 1920x1080.

I have no doubt that the 2D panel and gauges are really pushing the sim to its limit, it is an example of master craftsmanship. The number of pop out panels is amazing (though I couldn’t easily discern the use of the units change button on the RAF P-40s) and the gauge detail is wonderful.

What stumps me is that in window mode, the 2D panel slow the frame rate down to 40-30 FPS, where as the VC and the external model runs at 167 FPS. Yet if I switch to full screen, it seems like V sync is stuck on (not really a problem) because the frame rate across the board is 60 FPS, which matches my monitor’s refresh rate.

Hi Browncoat,

Thanks mate, the gauges are my first successful attempt at programing gauges.

Wow that's a monster sized resolution you have. Must be like going to the movies, I'm not really sure why your windowed mode is struggling but as you suggest the V-Sync could be the problem.

The Si button changes the units of measure for the tooltips, hover you mouse over one of the gauges after toggling the button and you'll notice the units change in the readouts between US and Metric.

Cheers
    Aussie

Thank you very much aussie. What a work of art you've produced! Excellent...

Flew a couple of missions from Operation Exporter using your new "Sweet FA" Aussie. I love flying this plane. Took an absolute licking from two Vichy fighters on a solo recon flight, but they couldn't knock me down. Managed to damage one and made it back home safe.

Huge thanks again for this treat, I'll be blowing the dust off a few great old campaigns and spending a lot of time in your P-40's, can't wait to see them all.

Thanks for the new P-40B aircraft. You guys must have spent a lot of time building it.

An Opus. Ta very much.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by AcWai View Post
    Thanks for the new P-40B aircraft. You guys must have spent a lot of time building it.
    Hi Andrew, only about 15 years

Thanks again for the wonderful comments everyone.

Cheers
    Aussie

Thanks toAussie & Westfront for this great model .

Excellent Visual and VC models

Beautiful and useful pilot

Nice desert textures .

If you don't mind , as a contribution to your excellent work, I would add a
    new dp with small changes

(gunflashes position & KM drop tank)

Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Fani,

Not a problem and thanks for the kind words.

Cheers
    Aussie

Members who have read this thread: 2