What's Up With Flightsim dot com?

Thread: What's Up With Flightsim dot com?

What's Up With Flightsim dot com?

Has anyone gotten on this morning? They've moved to a different format that honestly. . . .never mind, lol. . .my mother always said if you can't say anything nice. . .yada, yada, yada. Time will tell but I don't care for it at all right now.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Yep! The old flightsim.com is now the "New" flightsim.com. I guess them's the breaks!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

More here....
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Yep! The old flightsim.com is now the "New" flightsim.com. I guess them's the breaks!
    Or in the south we say dems de grits.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Or in the south we say dems de grits.
    Hey, Butch! I will agree if you make it CHEESE GRITS!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

It's new! Revolutionary! Spiffy and colorful.

It only lacks one thing:

They seem to have forgotten to put in a new downloads page!

Instead they have this slider thing that shows an thumbnail image and the first word or two of the file name, and if that's enough to spark your interest you can click on the image and find out what the file actually is. I haven't been that interested.

And that only lists the half dozen or so new files for that day. If you want to see what was put up yesterday or a couple days ago you can go to the library and browse through every file on the site to find the newer ones - IF you know the file names of the files you haven't seen before.

Well, you don't really have to know the names of the new files - you can always go to AvSim and see what's new. And download from there.

I griped in their forum and got a whiny reply from an administrator crying that it was just too much work to maintain a downloads page! This from an admin of a site where in recent months they've steadily gone several days at a time without showing any new files at all, then they'd upload the past several days' worth and it would only amount to maybe half a dozen files. Too much work - for a commercial site to make their new files easily available to the visitors whose page views and downloads generate the statistics that determine what they can charge for advertising.

I was a big fan of FlightSim for years but now I want nothing to do with it. I will allow my premium membership to expire and not renew it and I will probably delete my account completely. I think FlightSim has taken a major step in the transformation from a leading flight simmer's resource to a fringe site with no real value.

It's sad, but we have Avsim and SimV for the general interest stuff, and we still get more unique stuff here than any of the big sites do. We really don't need FlightSim anymore.

SOH-CM-2023
    I hear you. I've used flightsim.com as my primary go to site since I started back in FS98! I can't find half the stuff there I used to. And whiney? Does Nels even run the place anymore?
    You can't take the sky from me...

Blog Entries
    Maybe they lost their mods in a game of poker.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    I hear you. I've used flightsim.com as my primary go to site since I started back in FS98! I can't find half the stuff there I used to. And whiney? Does Nels even run the place anymore?
    No, he doesn't. He still has some sort of involvement but he's no longer running it. The new management took over some time last year and right away it started to go downhill. The first thing that changed was the daily update of the new downloads page. It used to be that you could check the site once a day and see what had been uploaded since the previous day.

The new management started updating the list every two or three or four days, whenever they felt like it I guess.

Next they started showing about as many new files every few or several days as they used to have each day. I don't know if that's their fault or have any idea why it should be, but the lack of volume sure undercuts the whine about how much work it was to update the list.

Went there yesterday for the first time in a week. Thought I was on the wrong site. Tried to look around . . . . .nope. Like others have said, been a member for a long time and won't be going back

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Like others have said, been a member for a long time and won't be going back
    Ok, I might unterstand and agree with your frustrations. But frankly speaking, what's the alternative? Spare me with Avsim or Simviation! Thst's the very regrettable fact.

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by leuen View Post
    Ok, I might unterstand and agree with your frustrations. But frankly speaking, what's the alternative? Spare me with Avsim or Simviation! Thst's the very regrettable fact.

Bernard
    Uhm....What's wrong with AVSIM, other than there's a group of people on there that love to argue and bicker back and forth about nothing. Then I have to kick their butts!

The search mode is extremely tedious, and the offer is much smaller than Flightsim.

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Uhm....What's wrong with AVSIM, other than there's a group of people on there that love to argue and bicker back and forth about nothing. Then I have to kick their butts!
    Only if you go to the forums there. Aside from registering a gripe about the new site I have never bothered to visit the forums at FlightSim, Avsim or SimV.

Except for this one, all I've ever done at the download sim sites is peruse the new downloads pages. Which I will continue to do at AvSim and SimV. Can't do that at FlightSim since they no longer have a real new downloads page, and what they have instead only lists that day's new files.

No matter, both AvSim and SimV have everything FlightSim has and in recent months a lot more.

It is sickening to see all the great work done by Nels being dismantled by the new managers. There does not seem to be much thought behind what they are doing, but if there is, I don't like that sort of thinking.
    Many thanks to Nels for all he did for us - he will be sorely missed. I won't miss the new site, because I no longer go there.
    MikeW

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Only if you go to the forums there. Aside from registering a gripe about the new site I have never bothered to visit the forums at FlightSim, Avsim or SimV. Except for this one, all I've ever done at the download sim sites is peruse the new downloads pages. Which I will continue to do at AvSim and SimV. Can't do that at FlightSim since they no longer have a real new downloads page, and what they have instead only lists that day's new files. No matter, both AvSim and SimV have everything FlightSim has and in recent months a lot more.
    Same here Mick. I rarely had any reason to visit the forums. Like you and many others, I was either searching for a specific aircraft, a particular developer or looking through the "New Uploads". I'd like to see this NEW version work, but first impressions aren't very favorable and between our own Warbirds Library, Avsim and SimV. . .there's enough to keep me busy.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Maybe I undestand something wrong (so please be lenient with me...).

Okay, the site is a little more complicated to get into the downloads, but they are still there (and with some more informations or pics etc.).

Here one example:

https://forums.flightsim.com/files/file/208269-p3d-v4-scenery-cotabato-airportawang-airport-rpmc-photoreal/

In my opinion, they (we) need a little more time to become used to it. Give them a little time....
    Best regards, Manfred.

Blog Entries
    I’d recommend contacting FlightSim and see if they could shed some light on the issue. Nothing wrong with posting here but my preference is going straight to the source before asking around elsewhere because if I get my answers straight from the horse’s mouth then it’s probably going to be better information than someone posting he or she heard this or that. That’s my take on it but of course do whatever makes you happy. Don’t pay me no mind if you rather do it another way.

Yesterday, my log-in credentials ceased to work at Flightsim.com. I had to create a whole new log-in as my old user name was in use, but I could not use it to recover or reset my password. I am truly unimpressed with the new and improved Flightsim.com.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Maybe I undestand something wrong (so please be lenient with me...).
    Okay, the site is a little more complicated to get into the downloads, but they are still there (and with some more informations or pics etc.).
    Here one example:
    https://forums.flightsim.com/files/file/208269-p3d-v4-scenery-cotabato-airportawang-airport-rpmc-photoreal/
    In my opinion, they (we) need a little more time to become used to it. Give them a little time....
    But why should we bother? The downloads list only shows what's been added in the past day or so. Anything else can only be found if you already know about it and know what you're looking for and what section of the library to look in. I doubt very much that FlightSim gets anything that isn't also on AvSim and/or SimV and on those sites you can see what's new on a simple download page that yo can scroll back for several pages and many days. FlightSim seems to assume and require that we go there every single day and spend the time to get at whatever we might want. If they were the only download site we'd have no choice - but there are other download sites so we have a choice - else where.

I've been peeking in there every couple days but it's not so much as to try to unscramble their new files, it's more like how you can't help looking at a train wreck if you happen upon one. I'm already getting tired of it and convinced that there won't be any more changes and I don't think I'll be looking at it much longer.

Deathwind, I contacted them. All I got back was a whiny return moaning about how a regular download page was just too much work for them to maintain - they had to add every file manually! Yeah, they get about five or six new files each day and it's just too much work to add them to a download page. And remember, that's not a community site like this one run by volunteers on their own time (and who don't seem to think it's too much work to update the downloads page.) FlightSim is a commercial operation. Those payware products they show ads for on their home page don't get on there for free, and I doubt very much that it's run by unpaid volunteers. My impression is that the new management is too lazy to do their jobs. So they got a system that makes it easier for them and tough luck if it's not easy for us, who produce the downloads and page views that generate the statistics that determine what they can charge for ads.

Flightsim files forum

I just navigated the site and was able to find all files after a bit of hunting around. We use the "store side" more for our work and that is working fine. I was not able to use and of my credentials to log into the file share / forum side but that maybe that I forgot the email I used when the account was created almost 18 years ago. Originally one logged in using user name and password. Now it requires the original email address. In any event the "new" look of the files hare/forum side resembles that of the store. This makes some sense that the new owners would do that. I just created a new account and user name logged on and everything is there that always was. Example here:

https://forums.flightsim.com/files/categories/
    Last edited by Spad54; January 22nd, 2023 at 05:52.

Members who have read this thread: 0