VR Rocks in P3D

Thread: VR Rocks in P3D

VR Rocks in P3D

I don't see a lot of chatter about VR in the P3D neighborhood of this forum. I got my Reverb a couple of months ago and have found it to be a revelation in P3D. In MSFS, I switch back and forth between VR and 2D because I'm not always willing to take the visual quality or performance hit just for the sake of the 3D, whereas for P3D, it's VR all the time now. Setup was trouble free and on a box built to run MSFS comfortably, there's plenty of capacity for smooth frames while keeping the visuals not noticeably worse than in 2D. Everything is also sharper in P3D because you are not starting with MSFS's overprocessed, trying-to-look-photoreal display before breaking it into stereo. There's just no downside. I find myself playing P3D more now than before, and when I want to go flying in VR, I often pick P3D over MSFS for the no-hassle experience. P3D also has a lot of conveniences, like the pop-up instrument panels that you can map to a controller button, the ability to change aircraft and scenarios on the fly, etc., that are great for the VR experience.

And of course there are planes, planes, planes! It is remarkable how good some of our old P3D and even FSX favorites look in VR. With the added ability to see 3D detail, a few old planes are disappointing, but a greater number look so much better that I would almost think they were designed for VR way back when. I'm sure many of us have hundreds of planes installed in P3D and dozens of favorites. If anyone wants to chime in with favorites that are especially awesome in VR, I'd like to hear about them. Personally, I am enjoying the excellent French-VFR Roland D.VI, at least for 20 minutes or so until the engine blows up, and then I salvage the flight by switching to the almost equally good Aircraft Factory Oeffag Albatros D.III to finish. The surprising thing to me has been that the cockpits of the better P3D planes look just as good or better as they do in MSFS. The outside world -- well that's another story, but if you load up enough addon scenery it can be only a moderate let-down.

I was even motivated to do a fresh reinstall of P3D4.5 just for the sake of using VR, the first P3D reinstall I've done since buying the software. Although I think I somewhat regret it, because the effort of re-adding most of my addons was worse than any clutter caused by old unwanted addons. But I do pity the guys who said they were wiping P3D off their systems when MSFS came out a couple of years ago. VR breathes life back into the old sim.

So which P3D planes or other assets are your favorites in VR?

August

Purely biased, but I think my SR-71 is pretty good in VR in P3D V5.3 - not everyday you get to sit in the cockpit (and RSO cockpit) of the Blackbird.

I´ve had VR glasses for six months now and still fighting to get something out of them. In this case (P3D) I get strange triangle frame to look through. Also it seems extremely clumsy to use controls and switches. Anyway I can see the light though, when working someday immersion is certainly going to new levels. Assetto Corsa is the only game which seems to work like a charm. DCS too when I´m loading a flight midair and just cruise around - fighting is a distant dream.

- - - Updated - - -

I´ve had VR glasses for six months now and still fighting to get something out of them. In this case (P3D) I get strange triangle frame to look through. Also it seems extremely clumsy to use controls and switches. Anyway I can see the light though, when working someday immersion is certainly going to new levels. Assetto Corsa is the only game which seems to work like a charm. DCS too when I´m loading a flight midair and just cruise around - fighting is a distant dream. I feel that I jumped to this train a bit too early.

It is definitely early days, the systems are crude and have significant drawbacks. We are early adopters, the hardware and apps are not yet robust to differing configurations, and everyone seems to have a different experience. P3D worked well right away for me, as did Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, and IL2. The only issue I get with P3D is that sometimes it reports an unsupported texture format and bounces me out of VR, but even then, usually I can restart VR without quitting the flight. Trying to use my Reverb on FSX-SE with FlyInside has been a mess, as for many others. I think I'm about to give up on that. Maybe I'll put one more evening into it, I read an old tip that reducing the headset resolution can help. I haven't heard of your triangle frame issue before. Hope you get it sorted. That is an odd one.

August

Actually it is a bit difficult to find consensus over settings in P3D and respective hardware settings for VR.

Members who have read this thread: 0