A Big Disappointment

Thread: A Big Disappointment

A Big Disappointment

One of our members here answered my request for an no longer used video card upgrade for my Dell Windows 10 Computer I was given by the school I used to teach at when they just upgraded with donated "better" computers. He was going to send it to me for free BUT a big but, it requires TWO external power supplies and I don't have any not used I just looked. I was ignorant about this. I am finding out more a little at a time. So, I am asking again please if anyone has upgraded and has as he said one just collecting dust they would like to help out a fellow simmer with that does not require external power but gets power off the board, I would be so grateful. I hope that I am not out of line asking here but I don't know anyone at all who is a flightsimmer OR gamer here where I live. The last one who was one of my students is now in Germany in the Air Force.

I will look around to see what i have. No guarantees but I might have one that will take power off the buss or direct from computer power supply.

I Really Appreciate It

Thank you, I hope you can find one for me.

Richard, check your e-mail.
    Joe

Updated Information

I keep doing research for a graphics card that will fit in the Dell Optiplex SFF Computer I have. Again a disappointment when I was offered one and when I measured the case height IT was too big too. A GEForce 1050 but NOT Low profile, a regular height. Here is a snapshot of the difference he sent to me and the text below:

The Small Form Factor (SFF) Dell OptiPlex is smaller than the larger Mini Tower (MT) model. This makes it impossible to fit a standard-size dedicated graphics card into the SFF models. In order to upgrade, you will need a lower-profile dedicated GPU (also called half-height).

Checking Online

After the two disappointments that the video cards were NOT low profile which I first learned about with more research, I went to compare the pricing online. For ten year old cards, it seems like the sellers are taking a cue from the used car market. Our Church is looking for a 15 passenger van, ours biting the dust a few years ago and Enterprise is selling their 6 year old vans for $42,000.00 USD which to me is a joke. I don't know very few people who rent vans from Rentals like Enterprise or Hertz that treat them like their own brand new car. C'mon Enterprise! Really!!. Anyway, Amazon, eBay, Newegg etc. want IMO ridiculous prices for these old cards. I understand latest tech stuff, but $199.00USD for old tech card and more?

I really hope that someone who hasn't seen my posts here yet will "tune in" and say they have a dust collector they forgot about that is low profile and no external power requirement. I hope, I hope.

On a serious note, though I appreciate everyone who tried to help and send a great big thank you for trying to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I keep doing research for a graphics card that will fit in the Dell Optiplex SFF Computer I have. Again a disappointment when I was offered one and when I measured the case height IT was too big too. A GEForce 1050 but NOT Low profile, a regular height. Here is a snapshot of the difference he sent to me and the text below:

The Small Form Factor (SFF) Dell OptiPlex is smaller than the larger Mini Tower (MT) model. This makes it impossible to fit a standard-size dedicated graphics card into the SFF models. In order to upgrade, you will need a lower-profile dedicated GPU (also called half-height).

I feel your pain!! I also have a Dell Optiplex SFF and needed to replace the onboard GPU with a dedicated graphics card. I was fairly limited as to choice unless I was prepared to replace the PSU as well, which I was not. The best card for my needs seemed to be the GT1030 and I found a good deal on (what I was assured was) a low profile card so I was not best pleased when the card turned up with the standard bracket; apparently when new it used to come packaged with both brackets so you could use the one you needed. Rather than go through the hassle of a returns procedure, and being in dire need of this upgrade, I simply removed the standard bracket (just a matter of two screws) and dropped the card in .... et voila!! I'm still looking out for a replacement bracket, but I can live with this for the moment.

Which doesn't solve your problem. Sorry.
    Andy

Low Profile Plates

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    I feel your pain!! I also have a Dell Optiplex SFF and needed to replace the onboard GPU with a dedicated graphics card. I was fairly limited as to choice unless I was prepared to replace the PSU as well, which I was not. The best card for my needs seemed to be the GT1030 and I found a good deal on (what I was assured was) a low profile card so I was not best pleased when the card turned up with the standard bracket; apparently when new it used to come packaged with both brackets so you could use the one you needed. Rather than go through the hassle of a returns procedure, and being in dire need of this upgrade, I simply removed the standard bracket (just a matter of two screws) and dropped the card in .... et voila!! I'm still looking out for a replacement bracket, but I can live with this for the moment.

Which doesn't solve your problem. Sorry.
    It DID come with both plates because I watched a video about how to replace it. I feel a little less like a beggar if I can help YOU with this info: Do you want to check this out? There are some cheaper on ebay but I don't know about trusting. Amazon will take back what doesn't work:

https://www.amazon.com/CHENJIN-Profi...49060464&psc=1

My card has a Display Port and an HDMI socket and I have yet to find a bracket with that configuration. But nil desperandum, I shall keep looking.
    Andy

Oh Well

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    My card has a Display Port and an HDMI socket and I have yet to find a bracket with that configuration. But nil desperandum, I shall keep looking.
    Well, I tried. You and I are both out in the wind. Keep up hope, I am too.

Quote Originally Posted by RKinkor View Post
    I will look around to see what i have. No guarantees but I might have one that will take power off the buss or direct from computer power supply.
    Sorry the only card i found is a full size card 950GTX. My apologies for the false hope.

OK

Quote Originally Posted by RKinkor View Post
    Sorry the only card i found is a full size card 950GTX. My apologies for the false hope.
    thank you for taking the time to look for me. I will keep on hoping here that someone who hasn't looked at the thread yet will have what I need. In order to upgrade from FSX to P3D I need to have a GTX970 or GTX980 with 4GB RAM and DDR5 to be particular. Both of those are low profile. I talked with my computer "guru" over the weekend when hunting I found a lot of $10.00 cards which I could stretch the budget for but 1GB 10-12 year old cards are not to be any improvement in what I have he told me and he said that GTX970 or GTX980 low profile or better is what I need. So that narrows it down even more now. I may have to wait for 4-5 months at $10 a month put away and nothing breaks on the ol' car again ($800 repair before Christmas-Capital One loves us) and I can go on eBay if I am not blessed here before by some generous fellow simmer with what I need and they don't any longer. Again thanks for looking and certainly apologies are not needed.

A Find

This morning Edakridge sent me a link to eBay for a card that is compatible with my Optilex990 at a price that I can afford on monthly budget payments and was able to download the driver from Dell with help from a really nice techrep at AMD so when it comes I pray that it will work with no problems. The laptop that I was running FSX on yesterday had something happen and FSX got corrupted with some kinda hidden file I could not find and get rid of even with a thorough cleaning house of all flightsim related programs and a fresh install from the disks. Thankfully I had its twin that normally I use in Church with FSX on it from when I used to teach aviation basics using both of them and that is now on my desk with the other in the bag for Church with no issues with anything else. Go figure. With neither any FSX support OR laptop support, too old for warranty service. It was a true blessing that I was able to still operate. Thank you Lord! When I can checkout my cart at the end of the week. I am looking forward to the "new to me" computer being setup.

I want to thank everyone who helped me in this thread. I truly feel that I have friends here at SOH. God bless you everyone.

Learn Something Everyday

Well, I've got the video card and it fits perfectly in the computer. First problem...there is no HDMI port on the ACER monitor that is supposed to be there. Only DVI and VGA. So, I need an HDMI to DVI adapter. Harbor Freight who handles HDMI cords does not have any but the clerk says Walmart (almost next door) says they have them. Into Wallyworld who everyone knows is a nightmare to shop except at midnight or 6AM LOL! Oh we should but the hook is empty. Office Depot has one so I go there and pay a "fortune" IMHO for it but I want this to work. I go to insert the HDMI plug into the video card and it doesn't fit. I'm not stupid enough (at least in this case) to get a hammer and make it fit so I write to the seller. He has been very helpful and is again. He says OOOOPS, he forgot to mention in the description that it has two Display Port plugs, not HDMI. Online shows me the difference and I need to get the Display Port to HDMI adapter. I also bought the HDMI to DVI adapter from Amazon at 1/3 the price of the Office Depot one. Down side is I have to wait 2 weeks for them to be delivered so its VGA graphics for the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I am learning how to navigate my way around Windows 10. Not crazy about it, like Windows 7 better but what are you going to do. Progress.

The bit to "learn every day" is to avoid proprietary computers like 'Dell' like the plague.
    They invariably build to their own standards of 'scale', never have appropriate expansion or PSU capacity for anything other than basic computing...think 'typewriter'.
    The 'generic PC' was always superior to other systems [eg Apple] as they allowed D.I.Y. and created standards for motherboards and cases etc, so 'mostly' you never had compatibility issues or problems with space...eg...a Case with an ATX form factor would always fit an ATX board ....the PSU location allowed for bigger PSUs when required and only OTT graphic cards might not fit due to massive length, but generally most do.

Pretty much the best thing you can do with a Dell is get a second one...and you'll have matching bookends...

But

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    The bit to "learn every day" is to avoid proprietary computers like 'Dell' like the plague.
    They invariably build to their own standards of 'scale', never have appropriate expansion or PSU capacity for anything other than basic computing...think 'typewriter'.
    The 'generic PC' was always superior to other systems [eg Apple] as they allowed D.I.Y. and created standards for motherboards and cases etc, so 'mostly' you never had compatibility issues or problems with space...eg...a Case with an ATX form factor would always fit an ATX board ....the PSU location allowed for bigger PSUs when required and only OTT graphic cards might not fit due to massive length, but generally most do.

Pretty much the best thing you can do with a Dell is get a second one...and you'll have matching bookends...
    My Uncle Gus, a wise sage with many words of wisdom said:
    "FOR FREE WE TAKE...FOR MONEY WE TALK AWHILE". It was a gift and a blessing and I am making the most of it. Thank you for your comment though. I will add MY own observations that I feel that way about ACER. I imagine that others feel similar about HP or whatever. Nothing is made like it used to be way back when IBM first developed their computer. I had one of the first Sharp calculators where I worked in the early 1970's. We used to do all our accounting on the Friden mechanical calculators. If you are younger than I and say what is that??? you can Google Friden Calculator and see it. Talk about a "boat anchor" I also did all my first magazine's typesetting on an Addressograph/Multigraph Varityper and Headliner. I wish I had the Word Processing capability that is now available that would have saved me hours and hours or work.

I feel now like my great grandfather must have felt seeing the Wright Brothers take to the air. My other great grandfather built an airplane in his barn before they did following the French Aviators. Family history says that he flew it once just a little off the ground, scared himself to death and never flew again. In WWI he was in the Army Infantry in the trenches over in France. Probably didn't join the Lafayette Escradille for that reason LOL!

Members who have read this thread: 3