I found another landable aircraft carrier.

Thread: I found another landable aircraft carrier.

Cool I found another landable aircraft carrier.

Even better, I found it by mistake.

Head over to the Owl's Nest (http://www.owlsnest.eu/maiw.php) and search MAIW for "rafale".
    This should bring up MAIW package # 153, French Rafales.
    Download it and create an install folder (if you only want the carrier). Run the install EXE so it points to your new folder.
    Look in your new folder for the Addon Scenery folder and open that.
    You'll see a folder named "P.A.N CDG R91". Snag that folder and move it into your FS9 Addon Scenery folder.
    Edit your scenery.cfg file using Notepad and add the following:

[Area.XXX]
    Title=P.A.N CDG R91
    Local=Addon Scenery\P.A.N CDG R91
    Remote=
    Active=TRUE
    Required=FALSE
    Layer=XXX

where XXX equals the new scenery layer. Just add 1 to your previous scenery layer. In my case, XXX is 134.

Start FS and search for "LCDG" in your Go To Airport's Airport ID field. You should wind up on the Charles De Gaulle just to the north of Brest, France.

You'll also find the arrestor hook trap zone data in the top folder inside the main P.A.N CDG R91 folder. Open that .dat file with Notepad and copy the entry to your ARRCAB .dat file and save (again, only using Notepad) after you update the Zone number. In my case, the previous trap zone was 50 so my new zone looks like:

[Zone51]
    CarrierIdent=PAN CDG R91(Au Large de Brest)
    FrontRightCornerLat=48.2368333333
    FrontRightCornerLon=-4.7926666667
    FrontLeftCornerLat=48.2366666667
    FrontLeftCornerLon=-4.793
    BackLeftCornerLat=48.2365
    BackLeftCornerLon=-4.793
    BackRightCornerLat=48.2365
    BackRightCornerLon=-4.7926666667
    DeckAltInFeet=69.5
    CableCatchZoneHeightInFeet=2.4
    RunwayHeadingInDegreesMag=358

And, that's mostly it.

I may tighten up the trap zone to keep me honest but I did a cat shot and a trap with no issues and the carrier looks really good with no frame rate snags.
    The only thing it may need is a separate flatten file. Using the Go To menu to get aboard places you on the water below the flight deck.

Nav data for the radios and auto pilot are:

Course 358
    Nav1 110.90 (includes glide slope)
    Nav2 114.50 (includes DME)
    NBD 619.0

and the carrier is located at N 48 14, E 4 48.

Watch out for the AI formation!

Ttfn

Pete

Is this the Charles de Gaulle that used to be on the RFN site, or something entirely new? Whatever, as they're now concentrating only on FSX/P3D it will be a welcome addition.

Do I need to duck when the AI formation passes by?
    Andy

Andy, I'm pretty sure this used to be an FS2002 R19 carrier that got gussied up for FS2004.
    The install for this version is pretty easy. The only thing I did was add a tower view down on the flight deck (more like an LSO view) with AFCAD.

I'm still holding out hope of finding a land-able Kuznetsov/Liaoning class land-able carrier for FS2004, hopefully for the South China or Yellow Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbob View Post
    I'm still holding out hope of finding a land-able Kuznetsov/Liaoning class land-able carrier for FS2004, hopefully for the South China or Yellow Sea.
    I have two I'm sure, both payware, both in multiple locations around the world. IIRC, one came with the Alphasim Flanker and the other the IRIS Fulcrum. Might be available somewhere as freeware.

D. R., you'll want to make sure they are backed up.
    Both scenery downloads are extremely rare for FS9.

Meanwhile, I grabbed the HMS Ark Royal downloads, again, and then remembered why they are such a pain to install. (here's a hint, NO internal folders in the zip files)

It was the IRIS Fulcrum.

Here's the manual with the details of the carrier.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IRIS Mig-29K Fulcrum Flight Manual.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    Is this the Charles de Gaulle that used to be on the RFN site, or something entirely new? Whatever, as they're now concentrating only on FSX/P3D it will be a welcome addition.

Do I need to duck when the AI formation passes by?
    Just to get the history straight, this is the CDG made by Joel Maillot.
    It was originally released back in 2009 for FSX with a couple updates going into 2014.
    In 2011, for a different project, it received new textures by Jonathan "Rooster" Hilaire.

Members who have read this thread: 2