It's big and It's heavy! (for a fighter)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's big and It's heavy! (for a fighter)

It's big and It's heavy! (for a fighter)

Rob

Javelin! Promising idea!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

A Javelin, nice!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Loved the Javelin since childhood.(my avatar?) Impressive looking but dangerous if you did'nt keep your wits about you. Looking forward to this.

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/javelins-guard

Lovely Rob!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

very looking forward to that one . Beautiful

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    The old "Flying Iron"

You're singing my song Rob! Nice work!

I remember seeing a Javelin at Cottesmore's Battle of Britain Day air display. My dad and my godfather, both RAF, were less than complimentary about it. I'm sure yours will be much better received, Rob! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I remember seeing a Javelin at Cottesmore's Battle of Britain Day air display. My dad and my godfather, both RAF, were less than complimentary about it. I'm sure yours will be much better received, Rob! ;-)
    I hope so Paul.
    Still a lot to do.
    Looking for more information on the cockpit interior, not much about.
    There is a nice Javelin up at the Newark Air Museum, think I'll take a run up there.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Rob, Yorkshire Air Museum also have a Javelin: Gloster Javelin F(AW).9 - Yorkshire Air Museum
    Probably a bit of a trek from Cambridgeshire to York though.

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    Rob, Yorkshire Air Museum also have a Javelin: Gloster Javelin F(AW).9 - Yorkshire Air Museum
    Probably a bit of a trek from Cambridgeshire to York though.
    Thank you for the information Ian.
    Interesting museum.
    Just had a look on google maps and I'd be looking at a five hour round trip.
    I'll leave that for a sunny summer day I think!

Rob

Plus there's the Javelin at Duxford. But, as ever, getting access to the cockpit is impossible.

Plus there's the Javelin at Duxford. But, as ever, getting access to the cockpit is impossible.
    Loooong time ago i asked the man in charge if i could possibly sit in the Canberra cockpit ( just a matter of step over the wire and step inside the cockpit, door was open, no ladders or anything like that needed..), the man looked at me as if i had just made him an indecent proposal ! LOL " WE aren't even allowed to sit inside a cockpit " he replied.

I have some recent shots of the Javelin at Duxford.
    Going down there later in the week to look at the Hurricane exhibition so will take the opportunity to take a few more.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Loooong time ago i asked the man in charge if i could possibly sit in the Canberra cockpit ( just a matter of step over the wire and step inside the cockpit, door was open, no ladders or anything like that needed..), the man looked at me as if i had just made him an indecent proposal ! LOL " WE aren't even allowed to sit inside a cockpit " he replied.
    All museums seem to have become fanatical "health and safety" worshippers!

Rob

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    All museums seem to have become fanatical "health and safety" worshippers!
    Might be due to the use of radioactive paint on the gauges, not sure when they stopped using that though.

Anyway, looking forward to the Javelin Rob.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    As a boy, living at various RAF bases in the UK and abroad, I accumulated 'cockpit time' in a Canberra, two Avro Lincolns and an H.P. Hastings - all achieved by sneaking under the wire fences to where these aircraft had been dumped, prior to use for fire and damage-repair training. It was a different world back then, with security to match. Many a blind eye was turned. I'm particularly proud to have the Lincolns in my 'log book'. ;-)

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Visit http://aviation-museum.co.uk/ next to Bournemouth airport, you can sit in several of the cockpits.

Looking at those pictures, I think the Americans might have been slightly ahead of us in the field of cockpit ergonomics.

Thank you very much for all the links, much appreciated.

Rob

Looking great! If it helps I have an original AP 4491A, B & F "Javelin F(AW) 2 & 6 Ground Handling Notes (GHN)". IIRC the GGS is a Mk 8R? If only there were a Javelin closer, I'd help with a laser scan of the cockpit... :-/ Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 2