VPA Rafales revisited - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VPA Rafales revisited

Missing AB effects

In the Rafale single seat C version package which Frank made available on his site, the afterburner effects are not included. (Hopefully, Frank will be able to upload the B versions as well)

A while ago, one of the regular members here, was so kind to make his VPA Rafales available to me. Sadly also in this package the effect "fx_Rafburner" was missing.

So I decided to replace the entry in the aircraft config file with an effect I already had. After some testing I came out with the "fx_ALPHA_S39_AB" effect, which is included with the now free Alphasim SAAB Grippen.

You can also make a copy of the Alphasim efffect and rename that into "fx_Rafburner", which will save you changing all aircraft configuration files. (But I only realised that after I had already changed all the aircraft configuration files )

It is of course personal whether you like it or not, But I think it looks quite nice

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub,

I didn't like the original AB effect, so I replaced it with IRIS Mig-27 AB fx, slightly modified in scale to fit inside the rafale.
    I removed the flame as the real rafale AB isn't that flamy.

Here it is :

Cheers
    L'iguane

Hi l'iguane,

When I'm not mistaking there is another repaint on its way....

Until this evening I had never seen a Rafale taking off, but thanks to Google and YouTube, I have seem the images now. And I must confess after looking at these movies I must conclude your afterburner effects look spot on.

Cheers,
    Huub

And while you are flying the Rafale, try this! When you manage to land like this, you can already consider it a miracle

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub,

Yes a couple of liveries are on the way. The one pictured above and another tigermeet livery !

Should you be willing to try, here is my A/B config :

aircraft.cfg :
    light.8 = 2,-19.3, -2.02, 0.17, fx_rafale_aniburner
    light.9 = 2, -19.3, 2.10, 0.17, fx_rafale_aniburner

Light.txt :
    2,-24.27, -2.02, 3.48, fx_rafale_aniburner
    2, -24.29, 2.10, 3.47, fx_rafale_aniburner

fx_rafale_aniburner enclosed here, add to effects.

This effect is the IRIS Mig-27 burner, scaled down to rafale exhaust. All copyrights belong to IRIS, not mine.
    You shall have the Mig-27 effects installed for the effect textures to show up.

Best
    L'iguane
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks l'iguane!

In one of the packages I found an afterburner effect, which most likely was from an Eurofighter. Although it needed some re-alignment, and didn't produce a huge flame as well, so it looked quite nice as well.

But your modded IRIS Mig-27 afterburner effect is definitely much better. So I will stick with that

Huub

Comparison

With an afterburner effect called fx_efaburner

And the modded Mig-27 effect modified by l"iguane

I like both, but I think the last one looks more "alive"

Cheers,
    Huub

You can find a lot of trees in Aquitaine!

And when you are looking for a challenge l'iguane......

Cheers,
    Huub

Will the rafales be hosted here at soh huub?
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by anels9 View Post
    Will the rafales be hosted here at soh huub?
    That is up to the original designers. The single seaters are already available at Frank's site : http://www.mirage4fs.com/rafale.html
    Hopefully Frank will compile the B version into a package in the near future.

From what understood there originally were 3 packages with two seaters. I hope somebody still has all 3 packages.

As you could read in the post by VPA Team, made on the 21st of March, in this thread, they have the intention to finish the naval version. So stay tuned as more models might become available. But as said, it is up to the designer whether the makes his work available.

Cheers,
    Huub

My records show that there were actually four packs for the Rafale B - packs 1, 2 and 3, plus an export pack. All are .zip files, although with my version of Windows, I had to rename them so that 7Zip manager would open them automatically.

The Rafale C came in two file "versions" - an .exe file and a .zip file, but until I can access the files themselves I will not be able to work out whether they represent the same content in different formats. Perhaps this was why it was necessary for Frank to compile the C version.

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    My records show that there were actually four packs for the Rafale B
    To be honest I wasn't aware of the existence of this model, until this thread was started. But I based my statement on what l'iguane said in one of the previous posts. In order to use his repaint, he said you needed the have the "original VPA Rafale B Pack 1,2 & 3" installed.

I'm convinced Frank has all packages and hopefully he will find some time to compile a complete package as he did for the C version.

As I like the SPA160 100th anniversary tail, I will start an attempt to create a repaint with this tail. Don't expect anything soon as it will be a lot of work and I only have limited time.

Cheers,
    Huub

A repaint which isn't really mine.

As I liked the SPA 160 100th Anniversary livery very much, I decided to have a go on it. The painting on the tail is complex, but I thought with a few lines every day I would most likely be able to finish it is a month or so.

But things went a bit different. I found a very nice picture of the tail by Michel Jamar. and was able to stretch, skew and resize it a bit so it did fit the texture. I had to edit it a bit and had to redo the letters at one side of the tails as they were of course mirrored. Instead of recreating new textures for wings an fuselage I just edited the numbers on l'iguane's beautiful textures and here I am with a repaint which isn't really mine, but I must confess I do like the end result .

Not completely finished yet as I need to change some minor details.

L'iguane is aware and kindly allowed me to use his textures. And I hope Michel Jamar just doesn't mind I have edited his beautiful picture.....

The aircraft 4-CJ is actually a C model, but as the rudder is mirrored for the C version the textures didn't fit, without compromises I didn't want to make. So I did the textures on the solo display B version. (which is close enough for me)

Cheers,
    Huub

I'm working with Vince Hellegouarch (3D modeler of the VPA Rafale series) to get the Rafale B and Rafale M groups ready for distribution.
    Since the B and M include at least 16 external models each along with all of the textures (even if repeated -- this was from FS2004 days before cfg files), I will probably upload them to SOH for distribution.
    I've only been out of the hospital for a short time and much of that has been spent with doctors so please bear with me.

That is good news Frank! Thanks for all your efforts and those of Vince. And I'm sure most people visiting this forum are quite patient....

Cheers,
    Huub

VPA Dassault Rafale B

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military - Jets

Description: Rafale B for Flight Simulator 2004 approved by Dassault Aviation. Developed by VPA -- Vincent Hellegouarch (3D Modeler), Philippe Devallez (Panel Designer), and Alexander Baffert (Flight Envelope).

The aircraft has been reproduced in 18 different configurations. 15 of which could be implemented in time of war. There is also one Solo configuration and two “export” configurations with conformal fuel tanks.

There are strict limitations to distribution, modifications, and component usage that will be enforced by the VPA members and Dassault Aviation so you are advised to read the documentation carefully.

Frank Safranek

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit VPA Dassault Rafale B
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks to all those involved!

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks to all those involved!

Huub
    On behalf of everyone, You're Welcome!
    Should get the Rafale M up here is a few days. Maybe l'iguane will make a couple new schemes for it?

Thank you frank! This is fantastic!

will the C also go up with the b and m? I know it’s over at mirage4fs but would be good to keep them together
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

-Thank you Franck and to any designers' team!

Alain

Thanks again! After l'iguane picked up this model again, a member here was kind enough to share the models he had in his archive. Which turned out to be just a small part of all the B models, and I really had no idea there were so many different versions, until I opened this package!

About the suggestion by anels9; Frank, when you want to upload them here to save bandwidth on you site, feel free to do so. I think should feel honoured to have such a beautiful model available at our site. And the uploader is always in full control over his uploads here. So when you think there is a reason to remove it, you can always remove it from the library again

Kind regards,
    Huub

Below a surprise I found in this package....

Ooh that looks rather interesting Huub.

A massive thanks to all the guys Frank, these really are rather special models. Now I just need to work out how to put some Indian and Greek roundels on them ......
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    My records show that there were actually four packs for the Rafale B - packs 1, 2 and 3, plus an export pack. All are .zip files, although with my version of Windows, I had to rename them so that 7Zip manager would open them automatically.

The Rafale C came in two file "versions" - an .exe file and a .zip file, but until I can access the files themselves I will not be able to work out whether they represent the same content in different formats. Perhaps this was why it was necessary for Frank to compile the C version.

The difference between the exe and zip versions of the original Rafale C was due to some anti-virus software issues.
    People weren't able to download the exe installer so it was put inside a zip file so allow it to at least be downloaded.
    Hope this clarifies things.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    Ooh that looks rather interesting Huub.

A massive thanks to all the guys Frank, these really are rather special models. Now I just need to work out how to put some Indian and Greek roundels on them ......
    Hi Andy,,

As I said in my original post; "a surprise I found in this package....". So this livery is one of the default textures included in this package and was definitely not done by me

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 78