Released: Lockheed SR-71 for FSX, P3D

Thread: Released: Lockheed SR-71 for FSX, P3D

Released: Lockheed SR-71 for FSX, P3D

I've finally got to the stage I can release this new iteration of the SR-71 Blackbird, perhaps my final project for Flight Simulator having started some 20 years ago. Note for a mildly functional RSO cockpit and of course PBR textures you'd need P3D - preferably V5.3.

Discounts available for those who purchased the previous SR or A-12. Currently at Simmarket, others to follow.

Hope you enjoy it.

So I just started flying it. It is a nice airplane and a nice looking model. But it would have been nice to see a more functional cockpit and a few more tweaks on the model. For example:

1. The AGC panel is a very welcome addition! It would be nice if the chocks and the boarding ladder were moved to being switches on the AGC panel instead of just rigged to the parking brake... Seems a bit unrealistic when I momentarily set the parking brake at the end of the runway to check a few things, the ladder and chocks come back...

2. Some more working avionics directly in the VC would be nice such as the tacan panel, SAS switches, VHF, transponder / IFF in the rear cockpit ect.

3. The parachute still works like a spoiler instead of a "one shot per flight" deal like it would in real life would be nice to see that fixed. Set the re-set conditions the same as the reset conditions for the TEB counters perhaps?

4. Nice the spike switches work but again would be nice to see the restart switches, the bypass doors switches, fuel de-rich, rudder sync, roll trim, de-fog, refrig, bay air, trim power, emer gear lever, windshield de-ice, and O2 system simulated as well.

Any chance we will see a more advanced V 1.1 in the future?

Thanks!

Looks beautiful. Another amazing effort, David!

Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot1980 View Post
    So I just started flying it. It is a nice airplane and a nice looking model. But it would have been nice to see a more functional cockpit and a few more tweaks on the model. For example:

1. The AGC panel is a very welcome addition! It would be nice if the chocks and the boarding ladder were moved to being switches on the AGC panel instead of just rigged to the parking brake... Seems a bit unrealistic when I momentarily set the parking brake at the end of the runway to check a few things, the ladder and chocks come back...

2. Some more working avionics directly in the VC would be nice such as the tacan panel, SAS switches, VHF, transponder / IFF in the rear cockpit ect.

3. The parachute still works like a spoiler instead of a "one shot per flight" deal like it would in real life would be nice to see that fixed. Set the re-set conditions the same as the reset conditions for the TEB counters perhaps?

4. Nice the spike switches work but again would be nice to see the restart switches, the bypass doors switches, fuel de-rich, rudder sync, roll trim, de-fog, refrig, bay air, trim power, emer gear lever, windshield de-ice, and O2 system simulated as well.

Any chance we will see a more advanced V 1.1 in the future?

Thanks!
    Hi,

The real SR had no parking brake, so setting the parking brake on the runway is also unrealistic at the end of the runway or if the taxiway is large enough the ground crew would place the chocks to do engine runs before take-off.

Sadly its very quiet on the sales front, I'd say any more development work on this project except for something catastrophic is not really feasible. Never say never, but it's unlikely. The return on investment of time spent is ridiculously small and while I love the subject matter, always have, unless sales pickup I can't justify the time spent away from my family for potentially no extra sales.

Sad state of affairs but not surprising when everyone seems to have shifted to the shiny new simulator. Sadly this product is a about 4 years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Hi,

The real SR had no parking brake, so setting the parking brake on the runway is also unrealistic at the end of the runway or if the taxiway is large enough the ground crew would place the chocks to do engine runs before take-off.

Sadly its very quiet on the sales front, I'd say any more development work on this project except for something catastrophic is not really feasible. Never say never, but it's unlikely. The return on investment of time spent is ridiculously small and while I love the subject matter, always have, unless sales pickup I can't justify the time spent away from my family for potentially no extra sales.

Sad state of affairs but not surprising when everyone seems to have shifted to the shiny new simulator. Sadly this product is a about 4 years too late.

So you are right on the parking brake page 2-20 of the flight manual does say "Before starting an engine, assure wheels are chocked. There is no parking brake".... Regardless would be nice to see the boarding ladder moved to the AGE panel. But that aside I also understand that P3d is dwindling and even LM doesn't seem to be investing any more time in developing V5 as we have not seen any updates for a year now. I do wonder if this will be a continuation of P3d and breathe new life into P3d Lockheed Martin engages Unreal Engine for aerospace simulation R&D - Unreal Engine as it seems like MSFS is still little more than a game; with Asobo and MS unwilling to unlock a lot of things for developers, as things breaking with every new update (for example the AI engine, and Tacpack being no-gos)... Thanks!

Yes it will be interesting to see how functional the SR-71 will be for MSFS once Milviz/Blackbird sims releases theirs. I'm sure it'll earn them a fortune, but I have heard it may include less functionality than previously promised.

Just wanted to add this is available on Justflight now. For some reason, probably age related, but I can't edit my first message at the top.

Members who have read this thread: 2