AI traffic, specifically military

Thread: AI traffic, specifically military

AI traffic, specifically military

Happy holidays all!

While anxiously awaiting the forthcoming Just Flight Traffic addition for MSFS, I have noticed I never see any traffic at military specific airfields. Heck, there's not even any commercial or general aviation at any military airfields. Is this common to any that fly military airfields that haven't been modified by freeware?

I have seen MAIW advertising some future release packs too, so I know it's all in the works, just anxious to hear other's experiences too.

Just hoping that maybe there's a setting I have overlooked with regards to AI traffic.

Thanks.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

For all i know when it comes to airplanes AI traffic is broken.

I just see cars, buses and trucks driving by at any airport, no planes.. I certainly used tp see AI planes take-off and land (i don't think i ever saw a militairy AI plane though..) but suddenly that stopped. Not sure after which update our sky became such an empty place. I guess we just have to wait for Microsobo to give our virtual colleagues take-off clearance again. I always ran MAIW as well. Absolutely brilliant. Not sure anymore if it was MAIW but i never stopped trying until i was obliged to line up after a Spitfire or Mustang, or wait for a DC-6 to land. Sure hope we get a chance for that to happen in MSFS some day too.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    For all i know when it comes to airplanes AI traffic is broken.

I just see cars, buses and trucks driving by at any airport, no planes.. I certainly used tp see AI planes take-off and land (i don't think i ever saw a militairy AI plane though..) but suddenly that stopped. Not sure after which update our sky became such an empty place. I guess we just have to wait for Microsobo to give our virtual colleagues take-off clearance again. I always ran MAIW as well. Absolutely brilliant. Not sure anymore if it was MAIW but i never stopped trying until i was obliged to line up after a Spitfire or Mustang, or wait for a DC-6 to land. Sure hope we get a chance for that to happen in MSFS some day too.
    Thank you for confirming I had seen AI at civil fields before and now I don't either.

Hoping live AI for military become part of the scenery this upcoming year.

Matt

Unfortunately our good friends at Asobo broke the AI system in the newest update for the sim. I doubt that this was their intention, more so an unfortunate consequence of all the other things they added. A casualty of progress I suppose.

Now here's the real rub. The guys still active at MAIW (bless them!) had been making very good progress over the past year or so on implementing military AI traffic into this sim. You can still see preview shots at the website. There were two new models ready to go, AI F-35A/B/C and AI F-15E and a few more in the works including a KC-135R and A-10C that he was working on as well. The beta testing was quite far along and the results looked really promising.

Then it all came crashing down with the new sim update. All that time, work, testing and effort for.......... well nothing apparently for now and who knows when?? Imagine spending over a year testing, tweaking, trying things, developing and getting something ready to be released all for it to just blow up with the newest sim update.

You can imagine the frustration and anger this has generated. To the point that I think the boys are just going to go back and concentrate on P3d and FSX for the foreseeable future. At this point, no one knows when or if Asobo will get serious about AI traffic and there's no point in even trying to develop anything for MSFS until such time that they finally quit changing things.

What a cluster....

This is quite annoying
    That's why I didn't delete P3D
    Unfortunately, taxiing between the static scenery of MSFS is quite boring
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Thanks for the HU, Mike !

Bummer to hear that and quite worrying too...

Only thing we can do is think positive about it and expect Asobo to deal with it as top priority to fix, or atleast put it on the PLF (Priority List to Fix)

Fingers crossed (not put up minus one )

That's really disappointing news about MAIW in MSFS.

For the life of me I don't understand why the ASOBO pre-release testing does not pick up these things. Okay I understand that MAIW is not (yet) a regular developer for MSFS but as we know many of the mainstream commercial Devs are constantly being knocked back by these sim updates.

You would have thought that every change they make in each update is cross checked with at least the most regular and popular add-ons from the mainstream Devs.

From the outside it seems that the updates are introduced in total isolation without any co-ordination with the 3rd party world?

This problem with Asobo breaking things must get tiresome, especially for payware creators who have to go back and create fixes for something previously made through no fault of their own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guzler View Post
    This problem with Asobo breaking things must get tiresome, especially for payware creators who have to go back and create fixes for something previously made through no fault of their own.
    I am tired of the constant updates the devlopers are forced to make, because of Asobo keeps breaking their own toy. I am having trouble keeping up with the emails informing me of a new update I should download and install.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Perhaps we should all go back to FSX, which provided a stable platform for so many years, allowing the evolution of all of our 3rd-party devs

Change is a necessary evil...we just need Asobo to be a little more professional about it...

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    That's really disappointing news about MAIW in MSFS.

For the life of me I don't understand why the ASOBO pre-release testing does not pick up these things. Okay I understand that MAIW is not (yet) a regular developer for MSFS but as we know many of the mainstream commercial Devs are constantly being knocked back by these sim updates.

You would have thought that every change they make in each update is cross checked with at least the most regular and popular add-ons from the mainstream Devs.

From the outside it seems that the updates are introduced in total isolation without any co-ordination with the 3rd party world?
    I just think AI traffic is so far down their list of priorities these days, we may never see a system like FSX or FS9 had in place. Especially if a few 3rd party devs set up a robust AI traffic addon at their own expense.

OT solution: One solution for Military aviation lovers (while not always welcomed, for some reason or other) is DCS. The AI is by and large very good, and can perform very complex flight plans. While, yes, you are limited to specific geographic areas, the expansion of those areas is growing quickly. The benefit is that you have mostly ALL the assets and major Air Bases modeled in a region. And you get ALL the payware models as AI assets. If MSFS really is so averse to creating an AI system, or is in a state of development where it's not stable enough for development of complex systems like that, it might be a good alternative for people looking to fill that niche until such time that MSFS can support it. Before anyone jumps on the "this isn't a DCS forum" bandwagon, I'm just throwing out an alternative. This thread isn't in the DCS forum so if I posted it there, no one here would see it. I'm not taking any position of "one sim is better than another". None of that is being implied. I'm just saying that everything being talked about previously can be done or had in DCS for modern and by and large WWII enthusiasts for AI stuff.

Watch the latest video released today for a peak at a lot of the available AI assets.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1304609

Quote Originally Posted by Mach3DS View Post
    OT solution: One solution for Military aviation lovers (while not always welcomed, for some reason or other) is DCS. The AI is by and large very good, and can perform very complex flight plans. While, yes, you are limited to specific geographic areas, the expansion of those areas is growing quickly. The benefit is that you have mostly ALL the assets and major Air Bases modeled in a region. And you get ALL the payware models as AI assets. If MSFS really is so averse to creating an AI system, or is in a state of development where it's not stable enough for development of complex systems like that, it might be a good alternative for people looking to fill that niche until such time that MSFS can support it. Before anyone jumps on the "this isn't a DCS forum" bandwagon, I'm just throwing out an alternative. This thread isn't in the DCS forum so if I posted it there, no one here would see it. I'm not taking any position of "one sim is better than another". None of that is being implied. I'm just saying that everything being talked about previously can be done or had in DCS for modern and by and large WWII enthusiasts for AI stuff.

Watch the latest video released today for a peak at a lot of the available AI assets.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1304609
    Agreed on the recommendation. I float between the two but DCS is very limited in both aircraft and terrain. While DCS is maturing with a campaign engine (WooHoo, finally!!) it's still a stark contrast in what MSFS offers. It too is very pretty to fly at all levels as well. I feel confident MSFS will mature enough for developers to finish their WIPs, such as JF Traffic due in the near future, along with MAIW.

Matt

Here's the update you've probably been waiting for. Whole earth. Anyway. I'll keep it all back in the correct forum from here on out.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...acb434b2f8e1b/

AI Military traffic for me would supplement the civilian stuff, not be a major focus. I still enjoy flying pointy jets in MSFS, and that won't change, so it would be cool to have some traffic at military bases. I'm not sure Asobo is all onboard the AI train either. I suspect they don't want the sim bogged down with the lower frame rates it might entail, not to mention more headaches, they seem to have plenty already. Remember the legacy stuff and how they said they would support it? The updates have pretty much destroyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snurdley View Post
    AI Military traffic for me would supplement the civilian stuff, not be a major focus. I still enjoy flying pointy jets in MSFS, and that won't change, so it would be cool to have some traffic at military bases. I'm not sure Asobo is all onboard the AI train either. I suspect they don't want the sim bogged down with the lower frame rates it might entail, not to mention more headaches, they seem to have plenty already. Remember the legacy stuff and how they said they would support it? The updates have pretty much destroyed them.
    I agree mostly with this. For me, not just the incoming and outgoing AI military traffic, but nothing parked at all on any military base, anywhere. It just detracts from the immersion of being a part of a simulated world. Since I love flying more military add-ons currently, it just seems like an apocalyptic atmosphere, me and an empty world. This was always an attraction to the MAIW stuff in FSX, low poly counts, nice animations and just good interaction with military and civil airports.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mach3DS View Post
    Here's the update you've probably been waiting for. Whole earth. Anyway. I'll keep it all back in the correct forum from here on out.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...acb434b2f8e1b/
    This is different thing, DCS hasnt AI (as default) traffc. The each default map is empty from the beginning, worse like in FSX, P3D or MSFS even. The glob as 3D doesnt mean that AI will cover the whole glob. Of course, editor is easy to create some of „missions” including AI but its not the same like in MSFS. Btw. dont wait for this whole the World, as I know ED it will be maybe not before second part of 2024 (or even 2025) so its a long trip for this still.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yup. It's all true. But put a few minutes into a mission and you've got it always. You can even spawn aircraft and ground units from the menu if you want. But if MSFS doesn't have it at all right now...I guess you can just not have it at all or you can get it with a small investment of time. Either way, you can get it now to satisfy your itch. Or you can fly with nothing. Anyway. Just a suggestion. Take it or leave it. I'm enjoying it. If MSFS ever gets proper Military attention that will be great!

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    I agree mostly with this. For me, not just the incoming and outgoing AI military traffic, but nothing parked at all on any military base, anywhere. It just detracts from the immersion of being a part of a simulated world. Since I love flying more military add-ons currently, it just seems like an apocalyptic atmosphere, me and an empty world. This was always an attraction to the MAIW stuff in FSX, low poly counts, nice animations and just good interaction with military and civil airports.
    Not meaning to hijack this thread which has a very valid point but I've been trying to address this with static planes and apron equipment in the WIP Beale that will hopefully be available from Blackbird Simulations sooner than later. AI is still hard to make in MSFS, hopefully again sooner than later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (628).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	89465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (612).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	89466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (600).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	89467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (618).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	89468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (622).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	89469

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Not meaning to hijack this thread which has a very valid point but I've been trying to address this with static planes and apron equipment in the WIP Beale that will hopefully be available from Blackbird Simulations sooner than later. AI is still hard to make in MSFS, hopefully again sooner than later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (628).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	89465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (612).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	89466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (600).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	89467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (618).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	89468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (622).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	89469
    Yes, yes, yes....for 2 reasons, knowing Blackbird is releasing an upcoming SR71 and another detailed military base. Love it.. Thanks for sharing Dimus. Looking forward to it, very much.

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 3