Big Radials / Noorduyn Norseman (C-64)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Radials / Noorduyn Norseman (C-64)

Big Radials / Noorduyn Norseman (C-64)

Wow, great news! Its coming

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Whow, great news!

Dieter
    Greetings
    Dieter
    Win10 Pro 64 bit - RAM 16GB -1 SSD 1TB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 HD 1TB/Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,2 GHz - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - MSFS

Fresh for MSFS or port over?
    Enjoyed flying it, I think, in P3D. Been awhile.
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    T43
    I see no record of one by this company for P3D but would love it if you could point me in its direction. With that said, I would presume it’s new for MSFS. If you know of any other high fidelity Norsemans let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    T43
    Port? I didnt see any C-64 for P3D (payware) so I dont think so.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm definitely interested in this. Is that the only picture available ?

Till now only the one.

SOH-CM-2023
    Wow.... Wayyyyyy nicer than my old FS 2002 Norseman...
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Is that the only picture available ?
    From the Big Radials Discord

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_mac View Post
    The cowling does not look anything like the pictures of the reail aircraft. not a good start.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    The cowling does not look anything like the pictures of the reail aircraft. not a good start.
    Agreed. Atleast we get a TV.

To be honest i wasn't a fan of the engine cowling's front of their Goose neither.. Seems they have a bit of a problem with rounding off the front, bending inside nice and smooth. For a company called Big Radials they'd better look into that. ;-)

Besides, *IF* it will ever appear in MSFS i'd trade my Norseman for a DHC-3 Otter instantly. (no turbo please ) (hmmm, maybe keep 'em both..)

Edit: Haste to say bring it on !
    Last edited by Javis; December 24th, 2022 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_mac View Post
    Oooo, surprise! Thanks!

Write to them, even on FB if you noticed something wrong. Its a WiP still too.

btw. TV perhaps will have tablet functins and you will can hide/unhide it.
    Last edited by YoYo; December 25th, 2022 at 00:32.

Maybe XP or FSX?
    I'll dig around in the File Manager & see if I can find it.
    Thranda?
    T43

XP: https://store.x-plane.org/Noorduyn-Norseman_p_473.html

I did fly XP for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Oooo, surprise! Thanks!Write to them, even on FB if you noticed something wrong. Its a WiP still too.btw. TV perhaps will have tablet functins and you will can hide/unhide it.
    I sent them a note about this and the Goose cowling. Not sure what their problem is with the radius of that cowl. That small opening for the radial takes away from the visual appeal of this aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Your 'old' Norseman (both versions) still brings much joy to those still using 'legacy' Sims like Nine. In fact, all of the aircraft you compiled still brings lots of enjoyment.

Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Your old Norseman got me to many places in Alaska in 2002 and beyond!

Don BP

An exciting development! (pun intended)
    Hopefully they patch up the cowling, as nice as having a big radial is, being able to see it behind an appropriate cowling is even better!
    but, weird cowling or not, probably a day one purchase for me!
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

We were discussing the cowling on the BR Discord.

A quick image search will show there was a lot of cowling variety back in the days of the Norseman. In the 30's, these planes weren't stamped out identically on an assembly line...

And if you have a copy of Captains of the Clouds (and every classic aviation fan should!), Cagney's Norseman cowling there was different from any of the above.

So it's not like Big Radials is missing matching a definitive design here. There was a lot of change over the course of building and operating these things.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    And if you have a copy of Captains of the Clouds (and every classic aviation fan should!), Cagney's Norseman cowling there was different from any of the above.So it's not like Big Radials is missing matching a definitive design here. There was a lot of change over the course of building and operating these things.
    So BR chose their own style? Lets see a real world design that matches their rendering. I can't be the only one to notice this.

We were discussing the cowling on the BR Discord.

A quick image search will show there was a lot of cowling variety back in the days of the Norseman. .

Well, i don't see much difference in the front of these cowlings, Denny. And that's what the question is about, isn't it. This bright yellow one above may *look* to have a flat cowling front but that's the artificially light that's pointed directly onto it i.e. no shadow whatsoever.

The problem with the BR Norseman cowling front can also be seen on their Goose model. It is *flat* where it should be nicely rounded off smoothly bending backwards into the inside of the cowling.

Real Goose :

BR Goose :

Additional problem with the Norseman cowling is that the front is much too broad. Next to the fact that it will not cool the engine as much as it does with a 'normal' front edge of the cowling, it also hides a fairly large part of the engine and don't even think about the drag such a flat surface will induce. Cowlings of radial engines don't have a smooth rounded off front edge just because it looks nice. In short : the BR Norseman might not even get off the ground with the current engine cowling..

Btw, if you ask me, any of the Norseman's cowlings in your photos above would do fine on the BR model. Atm the cowlingfront of the BR Norseman is a far cry from any of these...
    Last edited by Javis; January 1st, 2023 at 23:36.

So BR chose their own style? Lets see a real world design that matches their rendering. I can't be the only one to notice this.
    I agreed already with your first post on the Norseman cowling topic, dvj. You're certainly not the only one.

And if you have a copy of Captains of the Clouds (and every classic aviation fan should!), Cagney's Norseman cowling there was different from any of the above.

So it's not like Big Radials is missing matching a definitive design here. There was a lot of change over the course of building and operating these things.
    The reason for this is that "HGO" was a fake registration for Hollywood and was, in fact, THE Norseman 1 prototype (CF-AYO) and had a different (Wright R-975 Whirlwind) engine. The 'definitive' versions were the IV, VI, and V. The UC-64 was essentially a Mk IV with US military specs and was internally designated Mk VI. The Mk V was the postwar production Mk. VI with some of the mil equipment removed.
    Details abound at https://www.norsemanhistory.ca/

As these were all certified production aircraft, they were mass-produced with common parts (the blistered cowl was a short-lived early design that was changed). So, regardless of what people might see in various lighting and views, the 800-ish series aircraft would have been made in the same jigs and forms.

Possibly, one might have a cowling borrowed from some other Wasp-powered twin but it wouldn't be "typical" or representative of the type.
    Of course, it's possible that Big Radials could have found one oddball to use as reference. but in that case it would be appropriate for them to explain this in documentation.

My most recent Norseman 'encounter': s/n 224 53-5233 NC59893 CF-UUD -- Unfortunately de-registered in 2016 and I'm not sure of the current status of the aircraft..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CF-UUD small.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

clearly there is an inaccuracy to the cowlings of both the BR Goose and this Norseman - we can all see it.

There are only two questions that need answering now.
    1) if it isn't changed how many sales will they lose over it (not mine) - a few? a lot?
    2) most importantly - why wouldn't they just admit the error and fix it, rather than try to tell us we aren't right about it?

I've been waiting for a Norseman for flight sim for a very long time...not necessarily a payware one - but one that was high fidelity and proper.
    This cowling issue isn't a small one - but it won't stop me from buying the BR effort and just hoping they get around to fixing the problem later.
    I do wish they were more open in both cases (Goose and Norseman) to reviewing the shape of the front of that cowling though, rather than chiding the community (their customers) for pointing it out.
    They dont even have to reshape it - just open it up or 'cut away' about 2" of the cowling face all the way around the circumference of the opening.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 0