New Reconnaissance Messerschmitts Posted by Team Daedalus

Thread: New Reconnaissance Messerschmitts Posted by Team Daedalus

Messerschmitt Bf109G-8 NAG5

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - German

Description: Messerschmitt Bf109G-8
    by Design Team Daedalus

Unit: Bf109G-8 NAG5 Winter, Russia 1944
    Pilot: unknown

The Bf 109G-8 was a dedicated reconnaissance version based on the fighter version of the Bf 109 G-6. Production of the Bf 109 G-8 tactical reconnaissance aircraft began in August 1943 and continued to February, 1945 with a total production of 906 aircraft built. The G-8 could be equipped with standard G-6 armament. But it is doubtful if any flew with the Motorkanone engine cannon - removed to save weight and increase speed - and only had the cowling machine guns installed. It was equipped with a total of three cameras. If we count the bulkheads of the fuselage from its front, two Rb 12.5/7x9 or Rb 32/7x9 cameras were installed between bulkheads 5 and 6 (Use the Tail Hook Command to open the camera doors.). The third camera was the Robot 11 type which was installed in place of the gun camera.

There was no “standard” G-8. Three separate companies and multiple sub-assembly production facilities were involved and the production was interspersed with the G-6 fighters being constructed. All of which inevitably produced minor variations, such as canopies, pilot head armor type, etc. So, each model we have created has its own unique features to portray the specific aircraft as accurately as possible.

This aircraft had an Erla Haub canopy with Galland type pilot head armor.

Pstrany developed the models using Paul Rebuffat's Messerschmitt model - with permission - as a starting framework and updated the shape, and added a plethora of details, new parts, and ideas. Pstrany also developed the models for the drop tanks, weapons and racks.

Captain Kurt created paints for each, the 2D instrument panel, the individual .dp files, the air files and the aircraft.cfg files.

Mav SCASM edited each model so that they have animated wing slats, drop tanks, and other features, as well as optimizing models for the best possible frame rates. Mav also developed the idea for the 2d panel to be offset for the Revi gun sight to match the CFS2 reticle.

We have all benefited from the assistance and guidance of others in the community, Special thanks to Wolfi and Huub Vink for their kind assistance and to all who have contributed their knowledge directly and indirectly.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Messerschmitt Bf109G-8 NAG5
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Messerschmitt Bf109G-8 NAG12

Description: Messerschmitt Bf109G-8
    by Design Team Daedalus

Unit: Bf109G-8 NAG12 France, August 1944

The Bf 109G-8 was a dedicated reconnaissance version based on the fighter version of the Bf 109 G-6. Production of the Bf 109 G-8 tactical reconnaissance aircraft began in August 1943 and continued to February, 1945 with a total production of 906 aircraft built. The G-8 could be equipped with standard G-6 armament. But it is doubtful if any flew with the Motorkanone engine cannon - removed to save weight and increase speed - and only had the cowling machine guns installed. It was equipped with a total of three cameras. If we count the bulkheads of the fuselage from its front, two Rb 12.5/7x9 or Rb 32/7x9 cameras were installed between bulkheads 5 and 6 (Use the Tail Hook Command to open the camera doors.). The third camera was the Robot 11 type which was installed in place of the gun camera.

There was no “standard” G-8. Three separate companies and multiple sub-assembly production facilities were involved and the production was interspersed with the G-6 fighters being constructed. All of which inevitably produced minor variations, such as canopies, pilot head armor type, etc. So, each model we have created has its own unique features to portray the specific aircraft as accurately as possible.

This aircraft had an standard G-6 canopy with Galland type pilot head armor.

Pstrany developed the models using Paul Rebuffat's Messerschmitt model - with permission - as a starting framework and updated the shape, and added a plethora of details, new parts, and ideas. Pstrany also developed the models for the drop tanks, weapons and racks.

Captain Kurt created paints for each, the 2D instrument panel, the individual .dp files, the air files and the aircraft.cfg files.

Mav SCASM edited each model so that they have animated wing slats, drop tanks, and other features, as well as optimizing models for the best possible frame rates. Mav also developed the idea for the 2d panel to be offset for the Revi gun sight to match the CFS2 reticle.

We have all benefited from the assistance and guidance of others in the community, Special thanks to Wolfi and Huub Vink for their kind assistance and to all who have contributed their knowledge directly and indirectly.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Messerschmitt Bf109G-8 NAG12

Messerschmitt Bf109G-4/R3 4.(F)/123

Description: Messerschmitt Bf109G-4/R3
    by Design Team Daedalus

Unit: 4.(F)/123 Guyancourt, France 1944

The Bf 109G-4 was an incremental development of the G-2. The 1475hp DB605A engine and armament was unchanged from the G-2. The tire size increased from the previous 650 x 150 size to 660 x 160 to better handle the increasing weight of the G series. It still used the spoked wheel rims carried over from the G-2 series but the increased tire size required kidney shaped bulges to be added to the top of the wings above the wheel wells. A larger 350 x 135 tail wheel replaced the earlier 290 x 110 size. Because the larger tail wheel would not fit in the tail wheel recess, the retraction mechanism was disconnected and the tail wheel was fixed in the down position. The radio was replaced with the more powerful FuG 16Z.

With a growing tactical need for timely reconnaissance, 80 of the G-4 production was dedicated to mount a 12.5cm Schneider-Gottingen camera in the belly and controls in the cockpit. Some, intended for longer range missions, also received redesigned wings incorporating a rack to carry a drop tank.

It was produced from September 1942 to May 1942:
    G-4 production = 727
    G-4/trop production = 435
    G-4/R3 (reconnaissance) = 80

Still, there was no “standard” G-4. Three separate companies and multiple sub-assembly production facilities were involved which inevitably produced minor variations, such as pilot head armor type, cockpit vents, tail wheel types and field added Rustsatze kits. So, each model we have created has its own unique features to portray the specific aircraft as accurately as possible.

This aircraft was a short range R3 photo reconnaissance version mounting a single centerline drop tank. It had an Rb75x30 camera in the belly just behind the wing. The cowl mounted MG17 machine guns were removed and the openings faired over to save weight, the main landing gear tires used the later G-6 type flat face hubs, the fixed tail wheel gear had a dust cover boot and the tail wheel bay was faired over. It used a broad blade prop, had a deeper oil cooler and rear small cowl scoops were cut back. It had a 2 piece curved top pilot head armor, a cockpit vent scoop on the starboard side, and a rear view mirror was fitted to top of the canopy.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Messerschmitt Bf109G-4/R3 4.(F)/123

Messerschmitt Bf109G-4/R3 2.(F)/123

Description: Messerschmitt Bf109G-4/R3
    by Design Team Daedalus

Unit: 2.(F)/123 Kastelli, Crete Spring 1943

The Bf 109G-4 was an incremental development of the G-2. The 1475hp DB605A engine and armament was unchanged from the G-2. The tire size increased from the previous 650 x 150 size to 660 x 160 to better handle the increasing weight of the G series. It still used the spoked wheel rims carried over from the G-2 series but the increased tire size required kidney shaped bulges to be added to the top of the wings above the wheel wells. A larger 350 x 135 tail wheel replaced the earlier 290 x 110 size. Because the larger tail wheel would not fit in the tail wheel recess, the retraction mechanism was disconnected and the tail wheel was fixed in the down position. The radio was replaced with the more powerful FuG 16Z.

With a growing tactical need for timely reconnaissance, 80 of the G-4 production was dedicated to mount a 12.5cm Schneider-Gottingen camera in the belly and controls in the cockpit. Some, intended for longer range missions, also received redesigned wings incorporating a rack to carry a drop tank.

The G-4 was produced from September 1942 to May 1942:
    G-4 production = 727
    G-4/trop production = 435
    G-4/R3 (reconnaissance) = 80

Still, there was no “standard” G-4. Three separate companies and multiple sub-assembly production facilities were involved which inevitably produced minor variations, such as pilot head armor type, cockpit vents, tail wheel types and field added Rustsatze kits. So, each model we have created has its own unique features to portray the specific aircraft as accurately as possible.

This aircraft was a long range R3 photo reconnaissance version. It had an Rb75x30 camera in the belly just behind the wing. It had wings that incorporated a rack to carry a 300liter drop tank under each wing rather than the more usual single centerline drop tank. The cowl mounted MG 17 machine guns were removed to save weight, the main landing gear tires used the later G-6 type flat face hubs, and it had 2 oil diversion pipes running from in the cowl, under the wings past the camera, to keep the lens clear. It had a 2 piece curved top pilot head armor, and the fixed tail wheel gear had a dust cover boot.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Messerschmitt Bf109G-4/R3 2.(F)/123

New Reconnaissance Messerschmitts Posted by Team Daedalus

Smile, you're on camera.

Merry Christmas

DTD
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Thanks, Team Daedalus for the early Christmas presents!

Cheers mav

Hi Team,

I wish you all and your families and friends a very Merry Christmas and thank you for your great work.

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks for that great Christmas presents!!!

Merry Christmas and

Happy New Year!

Thank you again DTD for these rare versions, a nice Christmas gift. I must say I didn't know the 109 could carry two wings drop tanks until now, talk about learning a thing about Luftwaffe/109 every release.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Recon G-4s and the G-8. Like the E-2 and T-2, only variants that I have read about in books and internet articles. It is wonderful to be able to “fly” these in the virtual sky. And these come just as I’m setting up my first European Theater CFS2 install.

Thank you TD for the vast collection that you have given to this community. A merry and restful Christmas to you.

Thanks Team D, a nice surprise to see these recon birds modelled.

Thank you!!! Those recon birds will be a great addition to ETO, EFTO and MTO!

Icon22 Reply....

Captain Kurt,

Yet another triumph by Team Daedalus..."see you" high over the frontlines!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I'll need more hangar space for all these wonderful planes! 😀
    Thank you very much for the recce 109s!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Thanks Team D, a nice surprise to see these recon birds modelled.
    Thank you, Team Daedalus! I have a question and request: Have you done a Bf109G-6 trop 6? The one I'm using is by Captain Kurt, but I'd like to include some of your most recent work in my campaign.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Thank you, Team Daedalus! I have a question and request: Have you done a Bf109G-6 trop 6? The one I'm using is by Captain Kurt, but I'd like to include some of your most recent work in my campaign.
    There are several. Search the library under Team Daedalus and they are on page 5 or so.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Thanks Captain, I previously got to page 4 before I gave up.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 0