DC Designs legacy Hornet freeware - released 1/27! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Designs legacy Hornet freeware - released 1/27!

It would look good with red covers and RBF ribbons
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Thanks for this freeware F/A-18. I'm not very good with fast jets in MSFS, so I much appreciate free ones ( this one, Rob Richardson's, Dave Garwood's ) that let me dabble occasionally. No doubt this Hornet will soon be the subject of an ongoing community development project, similar to the Duckworks DC-3 mod. Looking forward to that. Thanks again, DC.

LOVE IT! Many many thanks. I've always preferred the "classic" F-18 over the Super Hornet (not that I don't enjoy the Asobo Super Hornet).
    Cheers,
    Dave

Can't wait to see the mods coming.
    For example, I noticed yesterday that the model has unfortunately inherited the "long legs" issue, where the main gear always looks like the plane is too light, even when adding full fuel and loadout.
    In FSX/P3D there was a mod to alter the base "compression" of the main gear, I hope that mod appears in MSFS soon

I saw a mod for that mentioned in the comments, but haven't tried it myself yet.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for this great free model.

Please excuse my ignorance but what are the main difference's between the Hornet and the Super Hornet (real World)?

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post

Please excuse my ignorance but what are the main difference's between the Hornet and the Super Hornet (real World)?
    On the visual level, the SuperHornet is a little bit bigger, and it has square engine air intakes instead of round ones.
    This video probably brings much more technical details
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G19b...eDarthDesigner

Unable to activate the nose steering. I have my X-52 rudder twist grip assigned to nose wheel steering, and it works fine on other aircraft.

I've clicked on the button on the reverse side of the stick in the F18's VC, but other than bringing up the tool-tip, nothing happens. Any pointers, folks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Unable to activate the nose steering. I have my X-52 rudder twist grip assigned to nose wheel steering, and it works fine on other aircraft.

I've clicked on the button on the reverse side of the stick in the F18's VC, but other than bringing up the tool-tip, nothing happens. Any pointers, folks ?
    I assigned the "X" keyboard key to nose steering, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulvio_61 View Post
    I assigned the "X" keyboard key to nose steering, it works.
    Thanks very much. I didn't understand fully what 'Set Nosewheel Steering to Limit' meant, other than the carrier deck vs airfield steering limits. I thought there was some numeric value that had to be entered. All working now - much appreciated.

And the really amusing thing is that the Super Hornet is nearly a completely different airplane than the original Hornet. There are virtually no parts in common behind the cockpit; it's bigger and more modern and while it's shaped the same, it's really an entirely new airframe.

It was a way for the Navy to get new airplanes without the usual decades-long procurement/flyoff nightmare. There's some commonality in the cockpit design, similar to how an A320 pilot can likely jump into an A340 and fly it, but almost all the systems are upgraded at this point.

Here's a good look at the differences from a pilot who's flown both:
    https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/ask-...-super-hornet/

The Super Hornet is basically an entirely new airplane that just happens to look like a bigger F-18.

The primary reason for this is that the Navy was looking to replace both the F-14 and A-6 beginning in the 1990's , but the programs that were supposed to generate the new aircraft ended being axed for being over budget and behind schedule.

Since the Navy didn't think Congress would sign off on another "clean sheet" design, they basically designed an entirely new airplane, but made it look like the Hornet so it seemed like an improvement to an existing airplane.

Compared to the legacy Hornet, the Super Hornet has substantially more fuel capacity (which gives it about 50% more range), and a much bigger "bring back" capacity, which is the weight of external stores the airplane can recover with on an aircraft carrier.

The Super Hornet also has a much more capable radar, and significantly more advanced engines than the Hornet did, and there's also some aerodynamic changes that give it improved low speed handling and slower takeoff/landing speeds.

Blog Entries

Smile

Many thanks to Daube, DennyA and Azflyboy for explaining that, it's very much appreciated

As if fuel tanks are disproportionate

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

although, if the landing gear was in the right position, maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by ZsoltB View Post
    although, if the landing gear was in the right position, maybe not
    As you mention the landing gear - does nobody notice the not working (animated) deflection of the aircraft? That's what even then in FSX forced me to look for other addons (like the fabulous Team FS KBT one, even if it is the Super Hornet...).
    Don't get me wrong: The FSX legacy F-18 is great - in flight, in cockpit and now in MSFS for sure as well.

But the comparison images above show the visual shortcoming...
    Best regards, Manfred.

A mod was released quite a bit of time ago to make the FSX version "sit" like the real bird does. Maybe this would be possible for this bird?

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I agree the tanks are not quite right in profile/size also those formation light bars should be near enough invisible in daylight

The intake manifold is also weird

Question: is it at all possible to have the pylons under the wings without having any stores on them? If so, how please?

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    A mod was released quite a bit of time ago to make the FSX version "sit" like the real bird does. Maybe this would be possible for this bird?

Cheers,

Priller
    If you read through the comments on the flightsim.to page for the F-18, someone posted a link to a contact point tweak that helps fix the gear.

Members who have read this thread: 4