DC Designs legacy Hornet freeware - released 1/27!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC Designs legacy Hornet freeware - released 1/27!

DC Designs legacy Hornet freeware - released 1/27!

Mod edit: https://flightsim.to/file/48739/msfs...-legacy-hornet

Dean announced this on his Discord, but said it's okay to share elsewhere!

DC Designs is porting releasing a freeware Legacy Hornet. Truly legacy: It's the F/A-18C, and it's the one from FSX Acceleration.

This will be entirely freeware, and will be launched early Q1 2023...

Per Dean, this will answer some of the FAQs that might come up here:
    I have added weapons, fuel tanks, a new pilot, effects and full PBR, but kept the old texture layout so that all previous livery art will work with it if converted.
    Before anybody starts making requests for liveries, changes, other variants or anything else, this is freeware and as such will only receive general support, it's meant for the community and to ensure that freeware continues to be a thing. The main reason for doing this is I got a lot of requests for a legacy Hornet, and also the P-61 looking as though it would have to be pay-ware. The Hornet fits the bill really well, and Microsoft just might allow it onto the Marketplace for free, so it's worth a shot.
    Same flight model as the FA/18E with some minor refinements. Like I said, freeware, so don't expect the same level of attention with this one as my other jets. Jack's only having a small role in this, it's a straight-out conversion from FSX with MSFS F-18E sounds, panel, avionics etc. No doubt modders will be all over it though before too long.

He's still working on the interior, so panel's not up and running yet:

Can't wait!

For more pics and comments from Dean, be sure to check out the DC Designs Discord!

https://discord.gg/cfpYp4THDu
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; January 27th, 2023 at 14:20. Reason: Title edit and link added to OP

The Super Hornet pack would have been nice
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

:eyeroll:

"Hey, thanks Dean for the free thing!"

Sigh.

Briiliant news! I've always preferred the legacy Hornet.

Priller, ye olde Cook!
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

That's really nice from Dean and his team (and Jack).
    Thanks a lot !
    As Dean said, the modders will hopefully take care of further improvements.

great idea and gesture - thanks Dean

Much better than lots of new MSFS native aircraft! Pretty cool...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Nice ! Great job !

I'am waiting for a Swiss AIR FORCE repaint !

Enjoying having a legacy Hornet back again! Anyone found a way to use the Asobo military pilot figures?

@Dean/DCDesigns: thank you, thank you, thank you are the only suitable words here.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by dutrla View Post
    Nice ! Great job !

I'am waiting for a Swiss AIR FORCE repaint !
    If this is based on the original FSX Acceleration F-18 (by Captain Sim) then possibly repaints made for that version will work here?

The texture layout is the same, but you can't use them directly. Should be easy to convert though.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    If this is based on the original FSX Acceleration F-18 (by Captain Sim) then possibly repaints made for that version will work here?
    Isn't it funny how that Hornet is now the most complete CaptainSim addon for MSFS, despite being freeware ?

Never liked the legacy Hornet. Putting my credit card away! ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

It's FREE, and incredibly well implemented into MSFS, with all of the same effects and functionality as the MSFS/Asobo F-18 (also freeware). Normally I don't go for any military aviation newer than the Korean War era, but I had to check it out.

Nice shots. I really like that CAG bird with the anti-glare panel on it. Looks sharp.

Real nice port, professionally done, flies nice, everything works, loving the analog cockpit. This may be my go-to 4th-gen jet. Thanks and nice job to DC.

August

And Dean, please let me apologize for the small but very vocal group of attention-seeking basement dwellers bitching about the port on Flightsim.to. One of them just seems surprisingly ignorant about aviation for someone with the base intelligence needed to download and install a community plane, the other two or three are flat-out trolling.

For every one of them, there are dozens (hundreds!) of us loving and appreciating the efforts you and CodenameJack put into this port.

I know you realize that, but I'm just saddened and disgusted that people react to a free gift to the community in such a vile, entitled way in an effort to fool themselves into thinking they're somehow contributing something significant or at least noticeable to the world around them.

[QUOTE=Bomber_12th;1306019]It's FREE, and incredibly well implemented into MSFS, with all of the same effects and functionality as the MSFS/Asobo F-18 (also freeware). Normally I don't go for any military aviation newer than the Korean War era, but I had to check it out.

Can we tempt you John ?????!!!

Members who have read this thread: 4