FS9 in Win10 question

Thread: FS9 in Win10 question

FS9 in Win10 question

After weeks of fiddling with the current project, I just for the first time tried to go into full screen view in FS9. Can't do it!

When I do the standard key command to go from windowed mode to full screen the FS9 window goes solid black and from maximized mode to a large rectangle in the upper left corner of the screen, where the little rotating Working indicator spins and spins until I hit the keys again and FS9 returns to windowed view.

Is this normal Windows 10 behavior? Or is there something wrong with my rig?

It's no issue while I'm painting textures but if I should find some time to fly (which I do on occasion, rarely as it may be) I think it would be at least mildly annoying.

Is this an artifact of Win10? If so, is there a fix or a workaround?

Did you install FS outside the Program Files folders, ie direct to the drive letter?
    My install is placed as follows:

C:\fs9

Also check if you ran the 9.1 and the No CD patch. Double check your normal screen resolution and make sure it matches your FS resolution.

I'm running Win10 64 bit and full screen works fine, when I start the game it opens in full screen.

I'm not treating you like a Noob, it sounds like there's something simple that isn't set right.
    Those kinds of problems are always #### busters.

Worst case, try giving it some time and let your OS "call home" with the problem.
    It might resolve itself during the next update or even over night.

This probably isn't any help, but i can run 9 fine in both full screen and window'd, i remember having to try different screen resolution's when i first set up 9 in Win 10, Edit, looks like Sbob beat me to it

i had another issue, i didnt install the latest driver's for my monitor, i was running 9 for a couple of week's, not being entirely happy with how it looked, and bingo, new monitor driver's and everything run's like silk

Thanks Bob and Ian,

It never dawned on me to look at the screen resolution in FS9. I’ll check it as soon as I next boot up the real confutor. I’m on the abominable device right now.

I'll let you know if it works as soon as I try it, probably before the evening is out, and no later than tomorrow morning.

It took me some fiddling to get the screen resolution looking right on the new rig and it might not be the same as it was on the old rig, so I’m hopeful that this is the answer.

OK, that dunnit!

I got too antsy to wait so I booted up the new rig and checked, and all my sims had a setting left over from the old system.

I made the FS resolution match the system resolution and voila, all is well.

Thanks again!

You owe us beer.

This is why I dread set-up hassles. I got it working years ago and I just leave it alone for as long as possible.

That is strange. My Win10 has no problem with 1024x768 fullscreen while system resolution being 1920x1080. Did you copy over some add-on thing from your old system that is not config-ed for your new system?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Bob, I last set up FS9 when the rig that died not so recently was new, I think it was close to ten years ago, and I've forgotten so much since then!

Allen, I have no idea what may or may not have been copied over from backups except one thing - and that's the thing - display settings. I started by installing FS9 from scratch to let it set up the required registry entries and the FS folders on the system drive, just in case FS10 put them somewhere different from Win7 (it didn't), then a fresh GW3, then I just copied FS1954 and FSJetAge and their files that live on the system drive from backups.

I'm sure that brought along the settings in each FS installation and those were the ones that worked great on a the old system but aren't right on this new one.

It seems a bit odd that in the sim everything looked perfectly normal with the settings I had, and nothing looks different in the sim with the corrected settings - except now full screen view works as intended. Maybe there are other differences that I wouldn't have noticed since I haven't been flying, just painting models, since the new came alive.

I had to do some experimentation to get my screen looking right, partly because the new rig wanted to do things a little differently than I'd like and largely because for eight months I was without a real confutor and got on the interweb using a borrowed I-pad with a screen the size of any tablet, far smaller than what I was used to. When I first booted up the new rig everything looked so big! It still does when I first sit down at the monitor. I wonder how long it will take my perception to adjust so a normal sized screen image will look normal sized again at first glance.

I got everything looking right but I completely forgot that the screen setting was supposed to be coordinated with FS in FS display settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I think it was close to ten years ago, and I've forgotten so much since then!

Oh yeah, I can relate.

I want to start that Viper thread, the only problem is that I'm running behind because I did most of my work on it in FS2002 back around 2012.
    I need to get my back end in gear and up to speed.

Members who have read this thread: 0