Shessi-MAV PBY-5A US Skinpack UT

Thread: Shessi-MAV PBY-5A US Skinpack UT

Shessi-MAV PBY-5A US Skinpack UT

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

Description: Shessi-MAV PBY5A USN revision by UncleTgt

This is a collection of modifications for Shessi's PBY5A Catalina for CFS 2. It is optimised to depict the PBY5A variant as used by the US Navy's VP squadrons.

I've reduced the model shine for camoflage paints.

I've made the 2D panel bitmap WIN 7+ safe.

I developed more appropriate payload options in the DP file, see the ordnance notes for which weapon packs were used. There are a range of DP file options, depicting how the PBY's payloads evolved as the US Navy adapted & changed the aircraft's mission, from the early war search & recon, through ASW asset & into the Pacific Night strike & SAR asset. Unusually, the US Navy did not use it's PBYs for aerial minelaying, so these payload types are excluded.

A new airfile was developed, & optimised for AI & combat performance.

MAV provided a new mLOD model, improving framerates when using these in groups.

The textures supplied are:

"Who Cares" 433959 An OA-10A of 1ERS, USAAF, operating from Ajacco Corsica, August 1944. Pilot Lt. Eisman

"78" A PBY5a Blackcat of VP-33, Samarai, Papua New Guinea circa February 1944

"8" An early radar-equipped PBY5A, from VP-42 based at Kodiak Alaska. Aircraft & crew lost May 9th 1942 whilst operating out of Dutch Harbor, Aleutian Islands.

"44-P-6" An aircraft from VP-44, operating from Midway, June 1942. Pilot Lt. Hanthorn.

"3" Aircraft of VP-84, based at Reykjavik, Iceland, May 1943. One of VP-84's PBYs achieved the first U-Boat kill using the Mk24 "FIDO" acoustic homing torpedo during this month.

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to

Shessi for his undoubted skill in bringing us a wide variety of aircraft for use in this old sim.
    MAV for persevering with making this model multi-LOD, so it could be useful in CFS2, even if used in groups.
    Alphasim for the original aircraft, developed originally for FS2004.
    Allen for his DOSmdlc_2, making shine & mdl size changes possible in WIN7+
    Arno Gerretsen for ModelconverterX, such a clever & versatile tool
    Kelticheart for his prop bitmaps & exhaust effects.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt
    OCT 2021

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Shessi-MAV PBY-5A US Skinpack UT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Well done UT
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Thank you!

Thank you, sir!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22 Reply...

UncleTgt and Mav,

These are outstanding repaints and updates to Shessi's model....thank you for all of your hard work and dedication!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Wicked paint brushes , Thanks to Mav and Shessi too

Love these beautiful repaints, they are much appreciated! The load-outs are also a great addition, I need extra fuel because I could fly this plane all day!

Library Staff
    A Catalina for every sea theatre of war - thanks very much John!

Members who have read this thread: 0