Beechcraft D18S Takeoff problem

Thread: Beechcraft D18S Takeoff problem

SOH-CM-2023

Beechcraft D18S Takeoff problem

When accelerating down the runway all seems fine until the tail lifts. Then the power drops making it impossible to takeoff. I can fly from a custom altitude position just fine.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe a SU11 update problem?

SOH-CM-2023
    Having the same problem with the DC3. Can't understand what has happened in the last few hours. User error of some kind.

I think it's a general thing. I've got the same thing happening with most props. Annoying as hell.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I've been flying the DC-3 tonight, with several take-offs and landings. No problems at all.

Prop pitch lever problem maybe ?

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I think it's a general thing. I've got the same thing happening with most props. Annoying as hell.

Priller
    Thanks. Priller, for your comment. Mainly taildragger props are problems for me.
    I had difficulty taking off with the DC3, D18S, Spitfire and ASOBOS P51. The F6F took off without difficulty.

Paul K, I eventually got the DC3 to takeoff OK with some rudder sensitivity adjustments.
    Could you try the Beechcraft D18S a few times. I've tried over 20 times without success. Your results would be much appreciated. Thanks.

My problem has a few factors:

I'm using a new flightstick and sensitivities. The new stick rquires more torgue causing bigger corrections and bigger fluctuation.

The Beechcraft D18s is very sensitive to staying straight after the tail lifts. It drifts so strongly that my corrections are insufficient.

Most tail draggers tested loose power when the planes course veers right or left only a few degrees after the tail lifts. Takeoff is ok once in the air. I don't recall the on-ground handling being so sensitive before SU11. Perhaps I'm grasping at straws thinking its as an SU11 change.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    Paul K, I eventually got the DC3 to takeoff OK with some rudder sensitivity adjustments.
    Could you try the Beechcraft D18S a few times. I've tried over 20 times without success. Your results would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Sorry Jim, I don't own the Beechcraft. Regarding the DC-3, there are some threads discussing flight model and user config edits over at Avsim which have certainly helped me. Also, if you haven't got it, don't miss the DC-3 Improvement Mod: https://flightsim.to/file/43893/duckworks-dc-3-improvement-mod

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Sorry Jim, I don't own the Beechcraft. Regarding the DC-3, there are some threads discussing flight model and user config edits over at Avsim which have certainly helped me. Also, if you haven't got it, don't miss the DC-3 Improvement Mod: https://flightsim.to/file/43893/duckworks-dc-3-improvement-mod

Thanks, Paul K, for your tips. Just now downloaded the DC3 mod and will give it a try.

In the meantime, I reached the same conclusion Jim!

"We live to learn and learn everyday" (Jozef Stalin)

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

SOH-CM-2023
    A thousand pardons requested for taking up SOH space and members time.

Indeed it was SU11 and my bad memory that caused the problem. The update reset all The Assistance Options to easy including the Piloting option. And I did not remember that leaving the Piloting option on Easy causes such erratic behavior taking off. Why MSFS calls the resulting behavior Easy is a misnomer and has remained unchanged through 11 updates.

So. Jim Jones....

Always set your own Assistance Options after a System update.

They say repitition enhances learning.

Now no takeoff problems.

Members who have read this thread: 1