Deerfield Valley Airport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deerfield Valley Airport

Deerfield Valley Airport

Anyone have specific knowledge on the situation surrounding the airport? A great project for me but currently (or at least the last thing I could find) the FAA shows it as closed permanently. Really nice area and seems a shame if it is actually closed for good. I read some info from various news organizations locally that it's future was still in limbo, so it kinda sounds like there might be investors looking to possibly reopen it. . . .or. . .bulldoze it for commercial use. Not sure which. Either way I'm going to proceed with the project since I haven't done much in Vermont.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Blog Entries
    Rumor was to many deer in the field getting on the runway so they shut er down before someone got killed or even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind View Post
    Rumor was to many deer in the field getting on the runway so they shut er down before someone got killed or even worse.
    I didn't read anything about that, but what I did find was that the owner was killed while trying to land at the airport he owned in 2006. Some time later the airport was bought by a group who made some updates to the airport but it was eventually closed due to unpaid back taxes and that's where it was left.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I didn't read anything about that, but what I did find was that the owner was killed while trying to land at the airport he owned in 2006. Some time later the airport was bought by a group who made some updates to the airport but it was eventually closed due to unpaid back taxes and that's where it was left.
    I bet you didn't read anything about that and I would say your information is more genuine than mine. Never heard of the airport to be honest.

Aside from the financial woes, apparently the airport had a reputation as a dangerous place to land. With Mt. Snow Ski Resort less that 2nm from the airport, winds whipping down the slopes caused downdrafts along the runway that could easily catch an unwary pilot by surprise. Quite a few accidents over the years are attributed to that phenomenon. One pilot made this observation about Deerfield Valley. . . ."A great place to throw a football, but a terrible place to land." I wonder if weather programs would replicate that same scenario in the sim? Hmmmmmm, lol

Current System Specs:

I have done some preliminary work before I start this one. One thing that will be different is the name. Flight Sim has it as Mount Snow (4V8) which was the original name for the airport and the name of the nearby Ski Resort. Deerfield was a short-lived renaming that would just cause more trouble to change than it's worth. I have never had good luck changing something that FSX doesn't want to be changed, lol.

Current System Specs:

Renaming an Airport in FSX

I think there is some kind of a "program-glitch" as we all know there are in FSX that when it was created won't let you rename the airport. When I created 74XA Gunbarrel City Airpark last year, FSX had 6TX5 Harbor Point as the airport because it was created after MS ACES team had created FSX and probably Harbor Point was even in FS9 and just carried over. Harbor Point had been closed when Gunbarrel Airpark was created (real airport) Anyway, I opened up 6TX5 in ADEx and deleted all of its objects and then saved it which as you know becomes 6TX5_ADEX_XXX whatever you have in ADEX in my case RRL. Then I add that to the scenery library as well as 74XA and activate them both. Since there is nothing but a location for 6TX5 in FSX it does not conflict with 74XA's runway;scenery objects;etc directly adjacent to it in its proper Google Earth location which is created in SBX as a photoreal background. That worked in this case anyway. Skyvector ONLY shows Gunbarrel Airpark (PVT) and not Harbor Point any longer.

SOH-CM-2023
    One of the Vermont airports I haven't been to. Along with Springfield.

Ed if you ever want to try your hand at Middlebury (6B0) it is practically in my back yard, A former co-worker of mine now has an avionics shop there, so ramp access shouldn't be hard for photos. The Orbix freeware isn't too bad but a Falcon version from the ground up would be nice.

While I used to work at Burlington (KBTV) the airport has changed so much in the 12 years sine I was there. And needing TSA access for ramp side stuff. That is a non starter.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    One of the Vermont airports I haven't been to. Along with Springfield.

Ed if you ever want to try your hand at Middlebury (6B0) it is practically in my back yard, A former co-worker of mine now has an avionics shop there, so ramp access shouldn't be hard for photos. The Orbix freeware isn't too bad but a Falcon version from the ground up would be nice.

While I used to work at Burlington (KBTV) the airport has changed so much in the 12 years sine I was there. And needing TSA access for ramp side stuff. That is a non starter.
    Middlebury is also available for X-Plane, but unfortunately slim picking for FSX. Nice little airport.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...va-playground/
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Any interest in Franklin County State?

One of the Vermont airports I haven't been to. Along with Springfield. Ed if you ever want to try your hand at Middlebury (6B0) it is practically in my back yard, A former co-worker of mine now has an avionics shop there, so ramp access shouldn't be hard for photos. The Orbix freeware isn't too bad but a Falcon version from the ground up would be nice. While I used to work at Burlington (KBTV) the airport has changed so much in the 12 years sine I was there. And needing TSA access for ramp side stuff. That is a non starter.
    That would be lot of pictures Brian, lol. When I did Old Rhinebeck, Paul Corish (GAS) drove to the airfield and took a ton of nice close-in, straight on photos of every building as well as sides on many of them and things like fencelines, seating for the air shows and so on. Made the job of bringing that airfield to life a lot easier. I did the same for Sherman Mun. and North Texas Regional, but I had full access to those airports since they're within a few miles of where I live. Doing a lot of these sceneries is tough because, 1) I don't live near them, 2) I rarely if ever get any response from airport managers for assistance (I can think of 3 out of the 150+ I've done to this point) and 3) finding photos of the airport buildings is hit and miss and if I do find some more often than not they're ok for reference but unsuitable to use as textures because they're shot from a mile away, lol

Current System Specs:

Work is progressing: 4V8_FBO-2022-nov-29-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

Some additional Objects. . . .hangars will come next: 4V8_Objects-2022-nov-30-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

Beautiful House

Wow! What a great job, Ed. Really impressive!

Vertices limitations in MCX can really ruin an otherwise nice model (must stay within the 64,000 range) go to 70,000 and it won't compile. I was compiling the Fuel Pit and my vertices were twice what the limits allowed (I had coiled hoses in two areas). I edited out one complete hose coil and reduced the size and number of coils on the other. . .NOPE. . .74,000 which means I must delete the hoses which makes the fuel pit look stupid. . .how would anyone refuel with no hoses? So irritating!! Note: I ended up having to take the eyehooks out of each of the 7 concrete barriers which removed 20,000 vertices. I tried adding at least one hose back in but those suckers are vertice heavy, lol. . .oh well!

Current System Specs:

On a side note, has anyone else had an instance where hard returns in your posts are ignored thus bunching everything into a single paragraph?

Current System Specs:

I Never Knew Why

Back when I first started using Sketchup 2015 to make airports, I would download objects from the Sketchup Warehouse (other designers free submissions) for things like special doors; windows and like Ed, hoses or the like. Also before I learned how to use "CLEANUP" I would export the Collada (DAE) file for Model Converter X Version 1.30 and it would not compile until I found the culprit which was vertice intensive I imagine and then remove it and substitute a simple version and then I got bgl's to use in ADEx. Back then I would say that Sketchup and Model Converter X don't play nice together LOL!

As those of us on here who design; repaint or create are well aware, not everything we make works like we wanted it. (Including SODE) Every project is a learning experience. But if you try and not get too frustrated, it's fun like "Hannibal says-I love it when a plan comes together"

Hangar Row is almost complete. I just need to add doors and that will complete all the custom objects. After that I have autogen placement and homes to be placed on the hillside near the airport. Hangar_Row-2022-dec-4-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

UPDATE: My plan was to do a quick version (given that it remains a closed Airport), but now I think I'm going to do seasonal textures and a night map. More to come! 4V8_WIP-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

I guess building scenery is like making repaints. It is never finished, but somewhere you just decide it is enough.

Looks great (as always)!

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I guess building scenery is like making repaints. It is never finished, but somewhere you just decide it is enough. Looks great (as always)! Cheers, Huub
    Ha, ha. . . exactly Huub. I'm just looking over the night version in the Sim after going back to all the textures and adding night maps for everything, recompiling, etc. Considering it's location (Vermont) it only seemed right to do a hard winter version, and if I'm going to do that why not a fall and spring, lol, lol. . .and so it goes.

Current System Specs:

That's a mighty fine looking airport and setting Ed.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Ha, ha. . . exactly Huub. I'm just looking over the night version in the Sim after going back to all the textures and adding night maps for everything, recompiling, etc. Considering it's location (Vermont) it only seemed right to do a hard winter version, and if I'm going to do that why not a fall and spring, lol, lol. . .and so it goes.
    Not a speck of snow on the ground up here right now. Even though P3D thinks there is....
    You can't take the sky from me...

Not a speck of snow on the ground up here right now. Even though P3D thinks there is....
    Yep, I checked with TMFViewer to see when it "thinks" snow begins and I had to adjust the inf file to included November in the "hard winter" section.

Current System Specs:

If everything checks out I'll be uploading the project later today.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0