VR HP Reverb G2 on sale

Thread: VR HP Reverb G2 on sale

VR HP Reverb G2 on sale

Wow. Amazing price (Black Friday) if You need it for MSFS!
    https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp...qV4U#techSpecs
    I have a G2 and recommend it. US only.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Blog Entries
    At $300 this is a steal. I too, use the Reverb G2 and highly recommend the system.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Thanks for the heads up men! I have one delivering Tuesday. What additional software, if any, do I need to get the G2 set up and running in MSFS? Any special settings in MSFS or Windows 11? I'd appreciate the advice of you experienced VR users.

Thanks,
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    Thanks for the heads up men! I have one delivering Tuesday. What additional software, if any, do I need to get the G2 set up and running in MSFS? Any special settings in MSFS or Windows 11? I'd appreciate the advice of you experienced VR users.

Thanks,
    Mike
    It is pretty simple. You will need to go to MS games and download Mixed Reality Media. Running it should load Open XR. You do not need Stream or StreamVR for MSFS. You will need it for DCS or most games, however.

As for settings, there are several YouTube videos, all with different settings. The only thing I think you need to remember is that VR takes up a lot more resources than non-VR, so back off on the eye candy until you know what your system will handle. MSFS recommends ULTRA across the board on my system, listed below. However, if I run at ULTRA I get micro stutters. Buildings, clouds, and water are the biggest culprits in slowing down your system. There is very little noticeable difference between HIGH and ULTRA.

Get ready for an amazing experience. It is the closest thing to a real cockpit out there. Be careful in moving your head too quickly when you first start. Some people get headaches and nausea at first. The system can’t keep up if you move your head too quickly. You will not notice the smearing with your eyes, but your brain will.

Set a switch or button to switch back and forth from VR to 2D. You can do it under the Control VR settings of MSFS.

I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Thanks John, I appreciate the info. I'm running an i7-11700 with and RTX 3090 Ti, both water-cooled so I should be able to run VR pretty well. Hopefully I'll get things set up and operating before Thanksgiving. If not it'll have to wait until after the Holidays. I'm heading south to visit my kids. However, once I'm up and running, I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thanks again,
    Mike

This looks tempting. Maybe you guys can tell me if this is the right gear for me.

I've not owned a VR set but have tried VR demos and know I would like it, but would not use it all the time. Sometimes I'll want the super immersion, other times I'll want to be only partly immersed so that I can still reach for my coffee/scotch and hear wife/kid calling me. So this would be for sometimes and casual use.

Is this the kind of entry level thing that is going to be behind the curve in a couple of years and I'll wish I had spent more money and/or waited for the next gen to come down in price?

I've read that this thing doesn't work with a lot of USB ports for no good reason and that it's a "lottery" to see if there's a port on your computer that it will recognize. Others encountered this? Any sense of how common it is?

If you switch back and forth between VR and pancake, is it a hassle to change the MSFS settings? I don't suppose you can save graphics presets for the two channels, you have to remember which graphics settings you dialed down and dial them up again.

August

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    This looks tempting. Maybe you guys can tell me if this is the right gear for me.August
    I've not owned a VR set but have tried VR demos and know I would like it, but would not use it all the time. Sometimes I'll want the super immersion, other times I'll want to be only partly immersed so that I can still reach for my coffee/scotch and hear wife/kid calling me. So this would be for sometimes and casual use. I still have TrackIR set up. If I am programming stitches or fiddling with settings, I use the 2D or flat display on the monitor. I rarely fly 2D anymore. It just doesn’t seem the same to me.

Is this the kind of entry level thing that is going to be behind the curve in a couple of years and I'll wish I had spent more money and/or waited for the next gen to come down in price?

I am sure HP will come out with a new model early next year. Why else have they put this one on sale? It will be better with higher resolution and maybe a wider field of view. It will also be $1000 or more. While resolution could be better in the G2, I have no trouble reading the gauges and even fine print (although I sometimes have to lean forward) in the VR cockpit. I paid $800 for my headset and consider it money well spent. All I use it for is MSFS and DCS.

I've read that this thing doesn't work with a lot of USB ports for no good reason and that it's a "lottery" to see if there's a port on your computer that it will recognize. Others encountered this? Any sense of how common it is?

I have not had any problems. It does need a usb3 or the (new oval connector) port connected to the computer. I have tried to run it off a powered hub and it didn’t work. Most of the problems you have heard about are people trying to use usb hubs to power the device.

If you switch back and forth between VR and pancake, is it a hassle to change the MSFS settings? I don't suppose you can save graphics presets for the two channels, you have to remember which graphics settings you dialed down and dial them up again.

MSFS allows you to set graphic settings for VR and 2D. I use a button in my simulator cockpit to switch back and forth from VR to 2D. You can also set up a button to call up the inflight menu in VR.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Guys, on YouTube you can find many tips and how to set up. I advise to check it firstly. The first touch with VR and WMR could be a little hard and stressful but its not as black as it is painted. Now I think I know near everything about VR, tested 5 or 6 different headsets. I fly only in VR from 3-3,5 years and dont want to back to flat monitor. If you want to use translate (Google) button, you can check also this corner on my website http://yoyosims.pl/poradnik-vr-wmr-konfiguracja. Here is a tutorial how to set up Reverb G2 in Windows and in few simulators.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Thanks guys. Good info. Looks like I may take a shot at this. I'm quite sure I will not be one of the "will never go back to 2d" guys, I do love my TrackIR, but the price point has finally gotten down to "take a flyer" money and I have half a dozen games/sims that it could be used in. I do have one of the graphics cards listed on the HP site as suitable, and some USB3-C ports on my rig.

YoYo, your sig file says you also use P3Dv5 and Il-2 COD/BOX. Any issues using this unit with those?

August

YoYo,
    Thanks for the link to your site. I've read through it...very helpful. I've bookmarked it for future use.

Mike

I'm quite sure I will not be one of the "will never go back to 2d" guys, I do love my TrackIR

August
    I too was a huge fan of TrackIR but since I went VR a few years ago the only time my TIR gets a look in is on the very rare occasion that I fly FS9

VR is a game changer for flight and race sims.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure that for scenic local flying and acro I will use it all the time. Also pretty sure that when flying cross country on vatsim and constantly looking at my second monitor pulling up approach charts, airport diagrams, Simaware to check what controllers are active, vpilot to check for ATIS and DMs from ATC, sectional charts and Little Navmap to check on airspace boundaries and POIs, I will switch back to TrackIR as others have done.

Probably will store the gadget away for a month so that it can be my Xmas "present" from the kids, will report on experience then.

August

Blog Entries
    I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure that for scenic local flying and acro I will use it all the time. Also pretty sure that when flying cross country on vatsim and constantly looking at my second monitor pulling up approach charts, airport diagrams, Simaware to check what controllers are active, vpilot to check for ATIS and DMs from ATC, sectional charts and Little Navmap to check on airspace boundaries and POIs, I will switch back to TrackIR as others have done.

Probably will store the gadget away for a month so that it can be my Xmas "present" from the kids, will report on experience then.

August
    There are a few EFBs (Electronic Flight Bags) out there that allow you to dump charts, flight plans, moving maps, etc into them. You can see the various items in VR. I used one when I did an across country flight, flying a differrent leg each day. It worked fine. I had the airport layout in it and the flight plan. I also had a scratch pad with freqs.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

I've heard of those. I'm sure they work, but I haven't been so wowed by my experiences in VR that I want to use it to do paperwork. I'm sure Zuckerberg wants us to do our income taxes in VR. I'm going to be a holdout on that.

August

YoYo, your sig file says you also use P3Dv5 and Il-2 COD/BOX. Any issues using this unit with those?

August
    No issues. P3Dv5 works even better in VR than MSFS (it is less demanding and works very well). IL-2 BoX works very ok too (better than MSFS), about IL-2 CloD remember that here is beta only (for VR users, but here my feeling are mixed, sim isnt optimalized for good FPS level what is strange).

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    No issues. P3Dv5 works even better in VR than MSFS (it is less demanding and works very well). IL-2 BoX works very ok too (better than MSFS), about IL-2 CloD remember that here is beta only (for VR users, but here my feeling are mixed, sim isnt optimalized for good FPS level what is strange).
    That's strange Yoyo, on my system MSFS runs better in VR than P3Dv5 does, P3D does run acceptably though.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    That's strange Yoyo, on my system MSFS runs better in VR than P3Dv5 does, P3D does run acceptably though.
    But as I see you have Oculus. Hard to tell me about behavior of Oculus in P3Dv5. Notice that with Reverb you use Windows Mixed Reality and in P3D you can use Single Pass method which save a lot of FPS. Worked great for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0