An idea for a winter project.

Thread: An idea for a winter project.

An idea for a winter project.

I'm still finishing up the Alpha C-141 VC edits (its just tricky, I'll get it done soon) but I got to thinking, what other FS9 aircraft needs a "clean up" so updates would be easier?

My "hands down" candidate would be Kirk Olsen's F-16 Viper.
    This was/is one of the original "way ahead of its time" aircraft for FS9 and FS2002.
    There were enough MDL variations to keep things interesting and there are a large number of repaints available.

The config files need some serious work.
    The aircraft and panel cfg's are a jumbled mess, it always made me think they just kept throwing kitchen sinks into the pile to make it all work.
    Anyone want to team up, maybe next month, to get this stuff straightened out and optimized?

I've had some good results grafting in parts of the KBT Mitsubishi F-2 (you really want to borrow the F-2's sound folder for the Viper).
    The F-2 is a "sleeper" aircraft for FS9. Try it out and pull some high G's and AOA and you'll see what I mean, the darned thing shakes when you really push it.
    Not from bad dynamics, its just doing what its supposed to do. I also borrowed the F-2's .air file and it works pretty good in the Viper.
    Its just that the Viper needs more work.

If anyone's interested, let me know. There's plenty of stuff to work on.

Sounds like a great idea. I don't know how I can be of assistance though, because I'm an idiot when it comes to FDE's and such. I can barely fly most airplanes to the Glide Slope! Whatever you do, I'm behind it 100%!

Sounds like a plan! I've made a start on something like this myself, trying to make sense of the multiplicity of models, are some duplicates of others or do they all have subtle difference ..... etc.

Once I or, hopefully, we have a handle on that then it will be easier to deal with the other areas such as panels (there are so many, some better than others) and sounds. The latter is the easiest, Christoffer Petersen's "Real Deal" P & W F100 will work for the earlier models, the F-2 sound pack you're using is the F110, so great for later Block 30 models and all the Block 50/60.

I've started by roughly splitting all available models into Block 15/20 (the F-16A & B), the European MLU (AM/BM) models, Block 30 (F-16C & D) and Block 50 onwards (the big spine, CFT models); they'll have to be some fine tuning later as, for example, late Block 30s are a different beast to the earlier ones. Once the tangle of models is sorted that fine tuning can follow on, tuning FDEs appropriately, getting the right panels in the right aircraft and so on.

Kirk Olsson has done us proud with these models and Eric Marciano equally with the panels (his radar & hud gauges are well worth the expenditure of a few pennies). It'll be interesting taking all of those building blocks & seeing what we can build.
    Andy

I use Glenn Copeland's "Air Show Panel" for the C model, and the D uses a Freeware Panel I found at one of the other Sites.

I've also separated early Models from later Models, and the CFT Models as well. Same with the "Iron Eagle" variant.

I've asked this before... it'd be nice to have a back seater for the D. There isn't a Keyboard Assignment to make the back seater visible, is there?

Any way I can help... I'd be glad to.

I haven't forgotten this thread or this project. I'm just getting more and more interested in David and Mick's B-45 Tornado package.

"Oh, great. ANOTHER mid-1950's bomber..."

Anyway, my plans right now are to put the Viper in a holding pattern until the B-45 drops.
    There's a lot that needs to be addressed and I was starting to wonder if it might be too much to tackle, but I think if we give it enough time we'll wind up with something better.
    If you dig around enough (I can't remember where I bought it), you should be able to find the LAGO F-16 package.
    The Lago F-16 has a better 2D and VC panel (IMO) but the 3DO for the actual plane took a bit of a hit and the dynamics are still a little weird.

Still, between the Lago F-16, KBT's F-2, and Kirk's Vipers, I think its possible to stich together a nice FrankenViper.

Members who have read this thread: 0