Sim Update 11/40th Anniversary Edition available now - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sim Update 11/40th Anniversary Edition available now

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    HELICOPTERS: More fun than I expected. Reviewers like Into the Blue have said that the chopper physics and controls seem to be dumbed down, and I agree. I never could get the hang of the egg beaters in FSX and P3D, but here they are quite easy to control. Maybe too much so to feel realistic and challenging.
    Note there are assists on for the helicopter tail rotor and collective by default. My first flight I didn't know this and I was proud of my chopper skills and thought they were much easier to fly than FSX/P3D.

After a friend alerted me to this, I turned off the assists and could NOT put the thing down on a hospital helipad to save the life of the patient in back. Just toilet-bowled around downtown Seattle till I gave up and did an emergency landing in a parking lot.

SPRUCE GOOSE: I'm of two minds about the fact that this plane jumps off the water and flies around like any big boat, versus Hughes being barely able to pull it off the water in real life. Or was it really that underpowered? If they were going to mass produce this thing, it would have to fly at empty weight a lot more like it does in the sim than the legends we have heard. Anyway as with the Wright and Ryan, I can't help feeling that too much work has gone into this to just try it once, shrug "OK" and move on. It would be nice if there were more designated water runways around major coastal cities, which don't exist any more but once did, so that we could treat this plane like a big Clipper and fly between major destinations..
    The 15 degrees of flap "Really ballooned it off the water" according to the thin man from Culver City to his co-pilot David Grant. A huge part of the design was where the step in the hull was and how that would affect it's water handling at speed and beyond "The Hump". Hughes fought for and got it in a slightly different location and it's easy of getting on the step bears out his decision. No where in my studies is it suggested the aircraft was under powered. Her performance on paper is as follows (Quoting the 350k weight) high speed at sea level 235.5 mph High speed at normal rated power 222mph High speed at 5000ft with normal rated power 231mph Operating cruise speed at sea level with max cruising power 1675BHP/2230rpm 190mph Initial cruising speed for max range at 5000ft 141mph. We have an experimental set of cfgs that allows the plane to match those pretty closely. What's interestig is the future airplanes would be made of metal and the first one could have but Hughes declined to do so. *EDIT* And we have to remember that post flight she was eventually given an extra 4000hp with uprated engines. What might have been.
    I remembered the slew function and as long as don't run into a building at a parking space I can drop it into most any harbor I want. I have a big lake to the north of me and I've enjoyed playing there.

Having spent a few hours with the update, some further thoughts.

It doesn't seem to have broken, or be broken by, any of my scenery, add-ons, or legacy port-over planes, which is nice. However, SU11 did break Simconnect. The apps I run through Simconnect - Little Navmap, Axis & Ohs, and Where Are My Aircraft - are all broken to various degrees. In general, they work for the first flight of a session, but on subsequent flights exchange date with the sim only while in Active Pause. This is a widely experienced problem and MS will have to fix it.

As far as the aircraft:

DHC-2: This is the pick of the litter for me with the systems depth, tablet control, handling, and appearance.

DC-3: Better than expected. Performance matches the numbers quite closely. Handling lacks a little of the authentic inertia feel. I guess that's a factor of control input lag and non-linear response not being tuned quite to my liking.

GOOSE: Nice plane but only a little different, not better, compared with the Big Radials. You can get nice skins for the Big Radials. And the OZWookiee free G-21A still adds value with the retracting floats.

RYAN NYP: Surprisingly fun. If you try this plane, you might find it is not one that you'll just fly once or twice. It is great looking and the performance and handling are enjoyable. Despite the obstructed forward view and near useless periscope (which I'm sure is authentic), it is not too hard to fly looking through the side windows with TrackIR or, I imagine, VR. I wouldn't try it without one of those. But with those, I can imagine showing up at some multiplayer fly-ins with it, especially since everyone else will have the plane and be able to see what I'm flying.

JN-4: A little disappointed in this one. I find the performance more anemic and the control less coordinated than I expected. Maybe I'll get better at it, but not a favorite at the moment.

WRIGHT FLYER: Doesn't feel right. Too easy to control, for one. Also, too little power for sustained flight. I'm not sure the Wrights would be credited with the first "powered, sustained flight" if the Flyer had only enough power to stretch a glide after being catapulted into the air. I guess the point is to make it impossible to fly more than a few hundred yards, but the reason that was true of the original wasn't inadequate power, it was that the thing was too uncontrollable to fly for more than a minute or so or to handle any change in wind direction. Does anyone else remember the 2003 "First Flight" sim package which included a Wright Glider, Flyer, and Model B? That felt better than this. A Model B, something just a little more airworthy than the Flyer that could actually do circuits in Ohio or France, actually would be a nice addition to the sim. You can get a little of that feeling by spawning the Flyer 1,000 feet or so in the air and circling down to land. I wonder if you can catch a thermal in it and fly around a while.

SPRUCE GOOSE: I'm of two minds about the fact that this plane jumps off the water and flies around like any big boat, versus Hughes being barely able to pull it off the water in real life. Or was it really that underpowered? If they were going to mass produce this thing, it would have to fly at empty weight a lot more like it does in the sim than the legends we have heard. Anyway as with the Wright and Ryan, I can't help feeling that too much work has gone into this to just try it once, shrug "OK" and move on. It would be nice if there were more designated water runways around major coastal cities, which don't exist any more but once did, so that we could treat this plane like a big Clipper and fly between major destinations.

GLIDERS: Enjoyable. I had the Discus and soaring is occasional good fun. The towplane deal is cool. I can't figure out how to turn off that annoying descent-rate tone.

HELICOPTERS: More fun than I expected. Reviewers like Into the Blue have said that the chopper physics and controls seem to be dumbed down, and I agree. I never could get the hang of the egg beaters in FSX and P3D, but here they are quite easy to control. Maybe too much so to feel realistic and challenging. But it's fun to be able to fly right up to the scenery and get a good look. I tried the intro helicopter flight from lower Manhattan and enjoyed darting between the buildings and landing in Central Park. If one of the publishers were to do some of the wonderfully hideous classic piston choppers for the sim, like the Choctaw, Chickasaw, Mojave, or Flying Banana, with more realistic physics, I'd give them a try.

A310: This is the one I haven't tried yet. I'm not a tubeliner guy but I understand that this is almost a payware grade airliner, which is great for those of us who would never pay for such but might want to try one someday. I feel like I should learn the A320 with its simplified systems before I try this.

HISTORICAL AIRPORTS: Fun having Meigs and Kai Tak in the game. Lining up in a steam gauge 172 at Meigs is the ultimate "How it started / How it's going" meme for MSFS. As long as they can be disabled in CM, I have no issue with MS giving us more of these.

Love the Spruce Goose. Could be the best thing to come along for FS2020 since its launch. Can't wait to see some fantasy liveries for it. ;-D
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjones View Post
    That's pretty cool, I'll have to check it out.

Although not quite as cool there's also an Easter egg in the Spirit of St. Louis, I wont give it away but see if you can find it
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    As far back as I remember, FS98 to the present, and also in P3D, we always had the "S" key to take us to "Cockpit", "Virtual Cockpit", "Spot", "[/COLOR]Locked Spot", and "Fly-By", "Top-Down", "Nearest Tower", "Facilities Tower", "Facilities Runway", [COLOR=#3e3e3e]views.
    Yessir, those were the days, eh ?!

Also, we had another single keystroke "A" to move you to pre-defined positions inside the virtual cockpit .... Co-pilot, overhead panel, throttles, radios, GPS stations and the like. IIRC?
    Sure thing, but you can always set these up in MSFS/Controls/Camera/Cockpit Camera menu. There's already the default Ctrl/1,2,3,etc for the various instruments/peripherals views and 'Q' for left/right/etc quickviews. Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    That's because even one non-standard character will crash the edit function. In this case it was the "é" that did it. A workaround when you get a blank editor is to go back and copy the entire post, click Edit, the paste everything back in so that you can make the changes you need..
    Thanks, Tom !

Indeed ! Even your comment turned up a blank editor... Had to fumble something together using another reply from you. Hehe.

I'll try to remember this ! Thanks again!

GOOSE: Nice plane but only a little different, not better, compared with the Big Radials. You can get nice skins for the Big Radials. And the OZWookiee free G-21A still adds value with the retracting floats.
    Any reason to keep three, or even two GOOSE versions in your hangar, specially if drive space is an issue?

I think Big Radials' is by far the best one.

As for the retracting floats (whose behaviour has always been somewhat erratic, BTW), I gladly trade them for the opening doors.

If I had such an issue with disc space that a couple of gigs was a concern, just 2 years into MSFS with many years of addons continuing to flood in faster than I can try them out, my concerns would be bigger than whether to keep an extra Goose or not!

But I do like the different cockpit interpretation of the new Goose, I'll fly it sometimes. Especially in multiplayer where, because it's a base aircraft, it should be model matched properly for other players.

August

If I had such an issue with disc space that a couple of gigs was a concern, just 2 years into MSFS with many years of addons continuing to flood in faster than I can try them out
    Well, a couple gigs aren't actually a problem to me, but I do always try to keep hangar tidy (same for scenery) and just avoid using space for what I'm not really sure I will use.

But I do like the different cockpit interpretation of the new Goose, I'll fly it sometimes. Especially in multiplayer where, because it's a base aircraft, it should be model matched properly for other players.
    Now that's the interesting part, will think about it.
    Thanks for your comments.

August
    Aren't you jealous of the Beaver water take-off's and landings then ?....

Same thing again, isn't... (and i sure don't like to whine because of the fantastic gift we just got), new Goose, new (fantastic) waterspray effect. Surely you'd combine them, shouldn't you... Personally i haven't the foggiest why this didn't happen. Bit of ashame really, isn't it ..

GLIDERS: Enjoyable. I had the Discus and soaring is occasional good fun. The towplane deal is cool.
    Did you get the towplane to actually go ?...

Trying the glider towplane and winch launch training. You are supposed to move rudder left/right to signal the towplane or winch when ready but nothing is happening ?... Someone said to turn on the battery. Seems to be default Off, but turning it On doesn't wake up the pilot or winch operator neither. Initially the glider sits straight on the runway but then one wing sinks to theground. No 'helper' crew neither... Someone else said to remove all add-on scenery from Community. You know anything about that ?...

Thanks !

Waggling the rudder worked for me in the aerotow lesson

Love the Beaver and new water effects. Hate when I close the tablet and not know what to do to have it back....

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Waggling the rudder worked for me in the aerotow lesson
    Also works in 'world map' mode
    Go to external view and you will see the wing-walker (not necessary but helps)
    Full left then full right rudder, after a second or so the wing walker waves an arm over his head
    The tug plane starts to move, you move, the walker takes a few steps then disappears
    Back to cockpit view for the tow

Thank you, Keith !

So, do you have any add-on scenery in your Community folder ? I do (did) and getting the glider training going just wouldn't work. No crew man holding the wing, no towplane respons, not even a green colored objective dialog. I know now because in the mean time i thought i'd just try and remove all add-on scenery from my Community folder et voila ! All's fine now ! Crew man holds the wing and after just one time rudder left/right here we go !

I just tried putting back just one of my add-on sceneries and the whole glider training program is dead as a doornail again....

Hopefully this will be fixed sooner or later. (i assume you don't have any add-on scenery in your Comm folder neither ?.... )

Thanks again ! ;-)

I've just got Duxford at the moment, was about to add back a bunch more...will post if I find one that kills the wing-runner!

But I do like the different cockpit interpretation of the new Goose
    Yep, I've been further comparing all details in those Goose cockpits (Big Radials' and 40th Anniversary) and you were right. In your own words: "it's different, not better".

Indeed, each one has its strengths and its weaknesses, so: even if usually I don't like to keep different versions of the same aircraft, this time I will. Not for nothing the Goose has always been a favorite of mine!!

Now we need a few liveries for the MS/Asobo Goose from our talented repainters. I refuse to fly in Aviators Club colors!!

It seems that SU11 has broken several addons. Uploads to the Marketplace have been halted. There's an upcoming beta build that will at least be made available to dev's, but I'm unclear as to whether it will be a public beta.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

There's a small update out now on the main sim 1.29.30

Looks like the biggest part of the update is stuff I never use anyway.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0