My first MSFS Paint

Thread: My first MSFS Paint

SOH-CM-2024

My first MSFS Paint

Denny, you have your Blue Angels Cougar. It's up already here to the Warbird's Library. I wish there were a way to either drop the tanks or rid them altogether. Wing fold is by way of Ctrl>w. Canopy does not open and there is no way I could get a military pilot in it. I tried by altering the .cfg, but to no avail. I like to never have found that octagonal metal piece under the nose to paint it BA Blue.

Cazzie

Cazzie, that reminds me of your FS2004 work a long time ago! Brilliant job!

If you want to get rid of the tanks, when selecting the aircraft, go to the weight part of the aircraft (somewhere under liveries) and just empty the tanks. Voilą, no more external tanks!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

SOH-CM-2024
    Thanks much Priller, now that I have the layout.json thing worked out, you'll see more. I probably have done as many repaints for FSX as FS9. FSX took a while on many. MSFS is proving much easier if a decent Paint Kit is available. Rob's textures are the same as for his FSX Cougar. I had thought of using the photo recon version's fuselages and may attempt that.

Cazzie

Edited: Found them in the flight_model.cfg.

SOH-CM-2024
    Priller, that worked just dandy! The only trouble is, by doing so I remove the tanks from all other liveries, because the weight of the tanks is in the main folder. I'm thinking of making a separate flight_model.cfg just for the Blue Angels livery and see if that will take. Personally I like flying the plane clean. Thanks again mate.

Cazzie

Edited: Well: I can nix adding the flight_model.cfg with no weight in the tanks to my repaint, it still reads the main folder's flight_model.cfg and I wind up with tanks. So in order to fly the BA aircraft clean, one will have to look for these two lines in the main Grumman F8F Cougar folder's flight_model.cfg:

station_load.0 = 200, -2.30, 6.7, -2.3, tank_R (200)
    station_load.1 = 200, -2.30, -6.7, -2.3, tank_L (200)

and change this to

station_load.0 = 000, -2.30, 6.7, -2.3, tank_R (200)
    station_load.1 = 000, -2.30, -6.7, -2.3, tank_L (200)

if you wish to fly the Blue Angels livery clean. Unfortunately, this will negate the tanks on all liveries as the flight_model.cfg is in the main Grumman F9F Cougar folder and I cannot copy and paste it into my livery. Well, I can, but the sim still reads the main folder's flight_model.cfg and the BA livery still had tanks.
    Last edited by Cazzie; November 8th, 2022 at 15:25. Reason: Correction and help.

Very nice work Cazzie, first class job in the Blue Angels repaint. Looking forward to you future productions.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Awesome, Cazzie! Off to download it now. Thanks so much for doing this!

Thanks again, Cazzie! Looks great! (Er, tanks are there for a cross-country trip to an airshow. Yeah, that's it!)

paint kit

Great job I'm Italian don't look at my English, I like to simulate but since I come from modeling I like much more repainting planes could you tell me where to find the paint kit thanks

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Thanks again, Cazzie! Looks great! (Er, tanks are there for a cross-country trip to an airshow. Yeah, that's it!)
    Actually they did use tanks in long hops between shows, but all shows were flown neat. I do wish there were a way to either drop them in flight or just have a key assignment to rid them, but they are controlled in the main flight_model.cfg and cannot be incorporated in a repaint. Here's how you can fix that, but I am afraid it will eliminate the tanks on all of Rob's Cougars and any other repaint. You have to go to Rob's main Grumman F9F Cougar folder in the MSFS Community folder, open it to Sim Objects > Airplanes > robertrichardson_cougar_aircraft and open that folder. Look for the flight_model.cfg. Open the flight_model.cfg in Notepad and edit these two lines. Change

station_load.0 = 200, -2.30, 6.7, -2.3, tank_R (200)
    station_load.1 = 200, -2.30, -6.7, -2.3, tank_L (200)

to

station_load.0 = 000, -2.30, 6.7, -2.3, tank_R (200)
    station_load.1 = 000, -2.30, -6.7, -2.3, tank_L (200)

and save it replacing the original. Thank Priller for this tip.

Regards,
    Cazzie

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi54 View Post
    Great job I'm Italian don't look at my English, I like to simulate but since I come from modeling I like much more repainting planes could you tell me where to find the paint kit thanks
    Greetings Gigi, I love your country so much, I am also a modeler and a cyclist, I would not miss the Giro for anything, it's a better race than the Tour de France, tougher too. If there is one nation in Europe I would love to be in, it's yours. Most of Europe has terrible food for Americans, but even the tiniest mountain top village in Italy is going to have great food! I have got to get busy and photo many of my models again now that I have a Nikon D5500 to do so. This is the Academy 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk XIVc.

Regards,
    Cazzie

hang on, that's a pic of a plastic model? That looks real good then!

I just got back from Italy, and I agree on the food, but sorry to say this, the rest of Europe also has good food I think, compared to the US anyway..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    hang on, that's a pic of a plastic model? That looks real good then!

I just got back from Italy, and I agree on the food, but sorry to say this, the rest of Europe also has good food I think, compared to the US anyway..
    The rest of Europe, especially your country and the neighboring one has great BEER!

And that's a very small model too, about 5.5-in in length. I've been smelling styrene cement since 1956, so maybe that explains my lack of brain matter these days, LOL. You add the years I used solvent paints (no longer, only acrylics now) and that heightened the effect.

Coming at you! Same model as above.

Cazzie

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Greetings Gigi, I love your country so much, I am also a modeler and a cyclist, I would not miss the Giro for anything, it's a better race than the Tour de France, tougher too. If there is one nation in Europe I would love to be in, it's yours. Most of Europe has terrible food for Americans, but even the tiniest mountain top village in Italy is going to have great food! I have got to get busy and photo many of my models again now that I have a Nikon D5500 to do so. This is the Academy 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk XIVc.

Regards,
    Cazzie

It is a magnificent country, it is a pity that it is inhabited by Italians
    the giro d'italia will pass through my country in 2023

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi54 View Post
    It is a magnificent country, it is a pity that it is inhabited by Italians
    the giro d'italia will pass through my country in 2023
    The real pity is that my Italian is so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    The rest of Europe also has good food I think, compared to the US anyway..
    Now that is so true!!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Now that is so true!!

Priller

That is very true, particularly in my southern USA demographic, where everything is cooked in fat, even vegetables or breaded and fried in fat. But I tend to eat more Italian fare and Mexican fare, the British have terrible food and you never know what the French are eating! I like Japanese food also, but Chinese food is like French food, you never know what kind of meat you may be eating. I don't really like beef much, the meat is tough on the digestion, fish is the best, chicken broiled or grilled next. I also love rice and pasta over potatoes, an odd thing for someone who ancestry is majority Irish. We Yanks are a Heinz 57 variety of nationalities and races. I took one of the Ancestry DNA tests and it came back that I was 78.6% Irish/English, 15.6% French (all Daltons in Great Britain, Ireland, and America arrived in the British isles during the Norman invasion, the name originally being Daulton), 3% German, and 2.8% West African. So much for that Cherokee blood I'd been told I had.

Cazzie

That is very true, particularly in my southern USA demographic, where everything is cooked in fat, even vegetables or breaded and fried in fat. But I tend to eat more Italian fare and Mexican fare, the British have terrible food and you never know what the French are eating! I like Japanese food also, but Chinese food is like French food, you never know what kind of meat you may be eating. I don't really like beef much, the meat is tough on the digestion, fish is the best, chicken broiled or grilled next. I also love rice and pasta over potatoes, an odd thing for someone who ancestry is majority Irish. We Yanks are a Heinz 57 variety of nationalities and races. I took one of the Ancestry DNA tests and it came back that I was 78.6% Irish/English, 15.6% French (all Daltons in Great Britain, Ireland, and America arrived in the British isles during the Norman invasion, the name originally being Daulton), 3% German, and 2.8% West African. So much for that Cherokee blood I'd been told I had.

Cazzie
    Mate, I'm 3/4 Belgian and 1/4 English. I hear ya!!

About beef, it's all in the way it is cooked (cuisson we say in Belgium and France). It can be light on the digestion, it really can.

But we digress!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Regards,
    Cazzie
    Are you still building, Caz?

Don

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Are you still building, Caz?

Don
    Don, I still piddle on the older models I have. But the hobby has priced itself out of my meager income. Even the paints are too expensive for me. And given the fact that about everything plastic is either from a PRC concern or molded in the PRC for even USA concerns, that just grip my buttocks! I spend more time working now with MSFS doing scenery and liveries.

Cazzie

Don, I still piddle on the older models I have. But the hobby has priced itself out of my meager income. Even the paints are too expensive for me. And given the fact that about everything plastic is either from a PRC concern or molded in the PRC for even USA concerns, that just grip my buttocks! I spend more time working now with MSFS doing scenery and liveries.

Cazzie
    IF you avoid the big brands, a lot of the best stuff now is coming out of eastern Europe. Favorite makes of mine (I am also mainly a 1/72 aircraft guy) include A-Model, AZ-Model, ARMA, Eduard, KP, Kora, RS Models, Sword, and Special Hobby. My favorite supplier for good mail service to the US is super-hobby.com. The accuracy, detail, and fit precision of some of these brands is now the best in the industry, and the subject choice is excellent. Even a prolific and demanding builder could build happily all their life without needing to touch a kit from Asia if that was their choice. There are some nice acrylic paint lines coming from that region now also.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    IF you avoid the big brands, a lot of the best stuff now is coming out of eastern Europe. Favorite makes of mine (I am also mainly a 1/72 aircraft guy) include A-Model, AZ-Model, ARMA, Eduard, KP, Kora, RS Models, Sword, and Special Hobby. My favorite supplier for good mail service to the US is super-hobby.com. The accuracy, detail, and fit precision of some of these brands is now the best in the industry, and the subject choice is excellent. Even a prolific and demanding builder could build happily all their life without needing to touch a kit from Asia if that was their choice. There are some nice acrylic paint lines coming from that region now also.

August
    Agree. I LOVE Eduard kits. I have built almost every 109 they make in 1/48. I also like ICM (Ukraine) due to their subject matter. I have TONS of models from everywhere. I used to compete with Caz 30 years ago! Imagine that, Caz, THIRTY years ago! I started to stockpile over the past 20 years or so and built up a retirement stash - kits, decals, any add-ons, resin, etc. and put them all on shelves. Now retired, when I grab a box, everything is there. I still buy some currently releases just in case I live longer! LOL! I am also using acrylic lacquer and love it. Being an old lacquer man from years ago, it's good to have that nice, smelly, potent paint again! Been using Hataka Orange, but switching over more to AK paint. And I still mess with the sim naturally.

Don BP

Members who have read this thread: 0