Add On

Thread: Add On

Add On

Is it really as simple as dropping them in the Steam MSFS Community folder?

Started digging into some Flightsim.to military fields and what looks to be a great C-17 by Destroyer 121. So, dropped the C-17 folder into the community folder and nothing shows up?

Anyone by chance have this beauty working on a Steam install?

Thanks for the feedback.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Yep, you just need to unpack the download.
    In my (Steam install) community folder I have a folder called destroyer121-c17
    inside that are the mod contents.
    For it to show up there must be a manifest.json and a layout.json file
    For an aircraft or repaint there is at least a simobjects folder.

Yes I was curious and tried it too (also on Steam). First time I unpacked the entire folder and extracted the Sim objects/Airplanes/C17 folder. That doesn't work !

Just drop in the destroyer121-c17 as Keith says.

Thanks for pointing it out anyway. Nice machine !

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Yep, you just need to unpack the download.
    In my (Steam install) community folder I have a folder called destroyer121-c17
    inside that are the mod contents.
    For it to show up there must be a manifest.json and a layout.json file
    For an aircraft or repaint there is at least a simobjects folder.
    I did that too. Now, I followed those same directions per the user and your guidance and nothing appears. I found a second Community folder in the hard drive where my sim exists rather than the standard Steam default. I noticed in the Steam default I have this file and a REX utility but everything else is in the separate install in my F drive. Will it bork anything installing it there?

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Yes I was curious and tried it too (also on Steam). First time I unpacked the entire folder and extracted the Sim objects/Airplanes/C17 folder. That doesn't work !

Just drop in the destroyer121-c17 as Keith says.

Thanks for pointing it out anyway. Nice machine !
    Thank you. She's a great car!

Matt

My community folder is in the msfs install folder, alongside the 'official ' folder where all the msasobo stuff goes. The steam folder just has a stub that loads the real sim.

Here's what the entire path should look like. Note that inside the first folder within the Community folder is where the two json files sit. Also take note of the full path. If you used the default install location, yours should be the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Update.

Kinda bizarre, but I decided to install in the F:Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Community folder and it shows up. Now, I have not taken it up for a spin yet, but it does show in my hangar with the liveries available too.

I honestly tried all the variations shown above and Tom, my initial install was indeed very close to your set up, except the path went to Roaming instead of Local. I changed nothing in the set up. Now, in reflection, I initially bought the MS store version, installed it and then refunded it for the Steam version. Perhaps that changed it from Roaming to Local?

On an additional note, all of my stock MSFS, Orbx, FS Dream Team, PMDG and Miltechsim are in the F:Community folder, but my REX real global airport textures are in C:Users>mjcon>Appdata>Roamming>MSFS2020>Packages>c ommunity folder. Should I relocate it to the F: drive too?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSFS2020 setup.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	88858

By the way, I truly appreciate all the suggestions and advice. I've seen mention of the linker tool and may also look at that too, should my current setup not work.

Matt

That C: path looks odd to me, and honestly, it's getting above my paygrade. Back in the FS9 days, I could tell you what nearly every single file did, but this thing is a different animal completely. When it comes to the inner workings, I generally refer users to the official forum. They have gurus there that can tell you all about the inner workings and such.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    That C: path looks odd to me, and honestly, it's getting above my paygrade. Back in the FS9 days, I could tell you what nearly every single file did, but this thing is a different animal completely. When it comes to the inner workings, I generally refer users to the official forum. They have gurus there that can tell you all about the inner workings and such.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com

Thanks Tom and others that contributed. Seems I have gotten the C-17 to work, now playing with so many of the US military bases on the Flightsim.to website. Just going to try one scenery at a time.

Next project is getting my pedals, HOTAS and chair set up to get fully engaged back into flying on the cruddy winter days here.

Have a great day all!

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0