Wheelus_AB, Libya NA

Thread: Wheelus_AB, Libya NA

Wheelus_AB, Libya NA

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Scenery

Description: This package contains Wheelus Air Base as it was during the time I was stationed there from '66 to '68. I also included the Gunnery Range in the Sahara called El-Uotia as a destination for some of the AI. I know nobody (or almost nobody ever reads the readme but this is one time you should so that I don't get hate-mail because something isn't working (because you didn't bother to read the readme).

Enjoy!!

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Wheelus_AB, Libya NA
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Good one Falcon. Went nicely into P3DV5 for me after the usual ADE work to remove LM's stock airport buildings. Looks very authentic and more to my taste for that part of the world. Interesting how the tarmac textures are much darker in P3D and the background LC seems more correct - lack of high rise buildings. Cannot say if the flag up/down or the call to prayers works need to get the time right for that one.
    Thanks another good addition to the sim world (FSX or P3D)

BendyFlyer, who made that C-121 in your screen shot?

TARPSBIRD - It is an early M Jahn and team L749-0 this paint was included in the package. Tom Gibson did the conversion of them into FSX Native models so they work just fine for me in P3DV5 and of course they would in FSX. You can find the updated model files done by Tom at Cal Classic under the section Constellations. Just find the original Base Package for the 749 and then replace the mdl files with the new ones from Tom and your ready to go! Not all that many paints for the 749 about so very happy they put the MATS one in there.

FWIW I grafted in the JF VC from the stock P3D L049 (A JF model anyway) -works ok for me a bit more authentic for the era on some levels and I get neat interior views as a bonus. Never liked the JF Connies they were wrong it lots of aspects and never looked right. I also did the same thing with the Jahn L1049G, which Tom also upgraded to FSX Native but in that case I grafted in the newly released Virtavia L1049 (P3DV5) VC which is very nice indeed. No repaints at all on the internet for the Virtavia version and when you look at the textures you see why (12mb texture sheets and almost impossible to do - and well I could not be bothered). It was attempting a repaint on the Virtavia that I noticed that their model got the nose area all wrong and besides I have always been a great fan of the Jahn L1049s which are superb and of course my colllection of paints for the 1049G as well.

The 749 and the 1049 are the only Connies that Tom Gibson has converted over to FSX Native.

BendyFlyer, thank you for your detailed reply!

I am a little late on thanks for doing this scenery with ai. I only downloaded this a month or so ago when I ran across it here. I had just started on a retro version of Wheelus for FS9 covering 1955-62. While we have a lot of pictures many were to close up or blurry during this time period, so it was great to have your scenery to fill in gaps and all the custom stuff you have done is amazing. So thanks for doing this, I know it had to have taken a long time to get this much detail in it and as I don't hang out in FSX that much, this is now one of my favorites when I do.

At some point I do plan modify your traffic system (as you talked about in your installation notes) to handle Military style parking for my own use, just not sure when yet. I have a complete dual taxi system in my FS9 version functioning as I do with most of my sceneries, and they generally move over to FSX fine and work with some minor changes so I know it can be done with your scenery as well. If I do get around to this I will let you know via email.

Thanks again,
    Al

Falcon,

Thanks for the offer on the models. I thought about asking you in the beginning, but I did not know what it would take to convert some of your models to FS9 and I do not do modeling at all, I rely mostly on Dan French for that and in this case my partner on the project Ken Lawson who has been learning to model along the way with some of ours and his projects. We have done many buildings but not all and I just asked Dan to do the L barracks and the small hangar that is still there. You can go to the calclassic forum and see some of what we have done so far
    Wheelus AIr Force Base | CalClassic Forum (proboards.com)
    you can also see the picture album put together by John Hewson we are using as a reference. If you don't know his work there is a huge volume of albums on airports throughout the world and he is constantly adding more.

Wheelus Air Base Libya | Flickr

We are modeling the period 1955 to 62 and I know there are changes through this period but don't know how different they were from your stay. By the way I was a young kid living at RAF Upperheyford during the time you were at Wheelus. Dad was ATC there.

If you would like to communicate more on this my email is avpingel at gmail. I am in Birmingham Al.

Thanks
    Al

Members who have read this thread: 0