Automated Surface Observing Systems (ASOS via ATIS) in CFS2!

Thread: Automated Surface Observing Systems (ASOS via ATIS) in CFS2!

Exclamation Automated Surface Observing Systems (ASOS via ATIS) in CFS2!

HERE'S an interesting one:

I imported all of the FS2000 scenery into CFS2. FS2000 supported text and audio Automated Surface Observing Systems (ASOS) messages (using an airport's specific Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS) frequency). These audio files are "ASOS Voice Pack.gvi", "ASOS Voice Pack.gvr", and "ASOS Voice Pack.gvt", and are located in FS200's "SOUND" directory.

The files are in the exact same format as CFS2's radio message files (usa09.gvi/usa09.gvr/usa09.gvt/etc...). I also discovered an entry "ASOS Voice Pack" in CFS2's "main.dll" file, which is also in FS2000's "main.dll" file. Got me to thinking, hmmm...

SURE ENOUGH, I copied the three files into CFS2's "SOUND" directory, fired up CFS2, went to Merrill C. Meigs airport (KCGX), tuned in KCGX ATIS on 127.35mHz, and saw and heard the ASOS messages!

Attached is a a screenshot of the text message displayed on the screen (note that you can't actually HEAR the audio message in the screenshot LOL!), as well as the three required files.

Note that this ONLY works with communication radio equipped aircraft, and only with FS2000 scenery that includes FS2000/FS2002/FS2004 format ATIS data in the scenery files (the older FS5/FS85/FS98 scenery files format for ATIS data is different than FS2000/FS2002/FS2004).

Anyhow, QUITE COOL

CFS2_FS2000_Scenery_ASOS_ATIS_Radio_Messages.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFS2_FS2000_Scenery_ASOS_ATIS_Radio_Messages.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	938.5 KB 
ID:	88505
    Last edited by RichNagel; October 3rd, 2022 at 13:03. Reason: speeeeeeeeeeellling

Hi RichNagel,

If you want the text to scroll from right to left change or add the below to the cfs2.cfg [PREFS] section.

TEXT_SCROLL=1

Cheers
    Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Hi RichNagel,

If you want the text to scroll from right to left change or add the below to the cfs2.cfg [PREFS] section.

TEXT_SCROLL=1
    Thanks for the info! Hehe, I actually knew that, but had forgotten about it... thanks for the reminder

Lightbulb

Another little tidbit: If you copy FS2000's/FS2004's "Radio.wav" to your "CFS2\SOUND" directory, you'll hear radio static mixed in with the audible ASOS messages

Members who have read this thread: 1