Scenery Hybrid

Thread: Scenery Hybrid

SOH-CM-2020

Scenery Hybrid

In my defence it is a wet Saturday here Downunder.

I've taken my Modified Stock install, added Johno UK's v3 scenerysheet, and added his grassland landclasses textures (008, 010 and 015) to my landclasses.xml in the assets folder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Scenery.jpg   New Scenery4.jpg   New Scenery2.jpg  

Blog Entries
    I can't see the attachment for some reason David, could you email it or stick it on the FB page please!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    I can't see the attachment for some reason David, could you email it or stick it on the FB page please!
    Hi Clive, for some reason the images in this post have been included as attachments (as opposed to being embedded in the thread. Maybe you have to select something to be able to see the attachments? Anyway I'm feeling a bit "Meh" about the results thus far. Maybe my screenies just don't capture it very well.

Try something like https://imgbb.com/ (free version) to upload captured screen shots with FRAPS or I use my Nvidia screen and video capture.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Try something like https://imgbb.com/ (free version) to upload captured screen shots with FRAPS or I use my Nvidia screen and video capture.
    Hi James, it isn't technology thats the problem, its the operator

SOH-CM-2020

Chambery

There is a small town nestled in the French Alps called Chambery. It has an airbase at the base of a cliff, but a decidedly picturesque area.

CFS3 Modified Stock Upgrade, with Johnno UK's scenery added in part
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chambery3.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020

Chambery Environs

Things get rural fast outside of Chambery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chambery2.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020

London

London, in contrast, seems to have endless suburbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails London.jpg  

Looks great! Now you seem to be the guy to ask about trees just popping in unwanted places, like the middle of fields, towns, or even too close to airbases!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Looks great! Now you seem to be the guy to ask about trees just popping in unwanted places, like the middle of fields, towns, or even too close to airbases!
    Hi James, I know what you mean. I think there are several things going on there. The actual scenery object placing is fixed unless you want to work painstakingly through .lso files. However there are a few things that are more able to be addressed.
    1. "Popping" can be caused by the standard .sm models for trees. They call for a low res texture, than it changes to a high res texture when you get closer. This can have a "popping" effect. I think Jonos models for tees, and ETO, use a scenery object approach where only one texture is called for. This makes the tree image much more stable.
    2. Then of course there are the scenerybudget rings. I can never get my head around these, but there are a lot of different options available out there in the aether now. I quite like a set that came out soon after ETO, a set of performance scenery and terrain budgets for higher end computers. If the rings are not set up well, there can be some visual effects when transitioning between rings.
    3. Another thing that causes abrupt terrain changes is the meshbuilderbudgets file. I twiddle with this all the time and can never feels like I've fully smashed it. My current version provides wonderful smooth terrain for a good distance but further out the terrain is angular and triangulated. Awkward steps in this file can make hilly terrain arbitrarily move about.
    4. None of this will help the basic problem of too many trees being called in the lso for city tiles. Johno UK's and ETO's scenery simplifies the scenery object placement of grassland and forest but never really got to grips with built-up areas.
    5. Trees too close to an airbase? I have implemented a quick and rough fix which helps a lot. I increase the size of the ground plane in the airbase facility file. If I keep the increase to 100 or 150m, the circulating vehicles do not get too markedly displaced from the dirt paths that are shown around each airbase.

Not a fully satisfactory situation, maybe other people have some suggestions?

HTH,

Well, if you haven't really solved it, I guess, given my main interests are in the night time, I can live with it, and keep any daytime flying at a high altitude. I think in any case, for daytime, I might go for WOTR/WOFF, and I as really looking forward to what Dan is doing.

SOH-CM-2020
    The WOTR/WOFF scenery is the current gold standard. Hence I'm really looking forward to what Daniel is doing. A while back XJouve has doing some great stuff with terrain mesh and lcfs for WOFF. Some of his terrain mesh would slot into CFS3 nicely.

Members who have read this thread: 2