.MOS Editor

Thread: .MOS Editor

SOH-CM-2020

.MOS Editor

Yay! I finally dedicated the time to make a mos file for an aircraft. I used the Mos Editor from the Terrain SDK, because apparently it is better than the one in the aircraft SDK.

I made a mos file for the AVH_Ju88_3ZDH. A lot of the AvHistory planes do not have a mos file, but I found a generic mos named prosaically t.mos in an early 3gr AV History Ju88 file.

The main textures are about 680Kb, but the mos file does not seem to detract too much in the image sharpness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AVH_Ju88_3ZDH.jpg  

That is too cool!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm II View Post
    That is too cool!
    Just did mos files and completely revised damage profiles for the AV History Ju88 C6 and R2 as well as the 3ZDH. They sure look nice blowing up.

Currently it won't run on my Win 11 system, but I seem to recall that it was not compatible with high resolution aircraft textures.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Currently it won't run on my Win 11 system, but I seem to recall that it was not compatible with high resolution aircraft textures.
    Thus far I have not tried a file calling a high res texture. I'm on Windows 10. My ancient Asus N97 motherboard does not allow "upgrade" to Win 11.

One fascinating thing is the older 3gr AvH planes call for an awful lot of fiddly little textures - noseart, pennants and such. I am still looking for a Rams_Head.dds! I have a guide somewhere for removing stock codes and end patches because the models start to look very mangy when the stock lettering gets overlaid on a nice paint job.

MOS files generally sharpen an aircraft's appearance on-screen, whatever the resolution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Thus far I have not tried a file calling a high res texture. I'm on Windows 10. My ancient Asus N97 motherboard does not allow "upgrade" to Win 11.

One fascinating thing is the older 3gr AvH planes call for an awful lot of fiddly little textures - noseart, pennants and such. I am still looking for a Rams_Head.dds! I have a guide somewhere for removing stock codes and end patches because the models start to look very mangy when the stock lettering gets overlaid on a nice paint job.
    If you mean the GC/MAW/etc He 111, it has its textures on several sheets, and so it can't use a MOS file. Well, it can, but only on one sheet per model. The call for various nosearts and so forth is actually embedded in the model file itself. The best you can do is hack the m3d, the way one does, and substitute a blank file with no image and 100% alpha instead. That way at least, it won't reappear on subsequent versions of that model.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

If you want a MOS file without any markings on, give me a yell on the FB page. I've probably got one already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

I note hardly any of the aircraft used in TOW Pt. I and the upcoming TOW Pt. II have MOS files. Is it really an issue with aircraft mainly operating at night? I assume you are talking damage effects?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ndicki View Post
    If you want a MOS file without any markings on, give me a yell on the FB page. I've probably got one already.
    Thanks, Nigel I'll bear that in mind! With the AvH ju88s, I found that you can delete codes, pennants and noseart as layers in the .mos file, using the mos editor from the Terrain SDK. So I've been able to present cleaned-up skins just by tweaking the mos file.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I note hardly any of the aircraft used in TOW Pt. I and the upcoming TOW Pt. II have MOS files. Is it really an issue with aircraft mainly operating at night? I assume you are talking damage effects?
    Hi James, there are a series of small texture files for generic damage effects (wing tip, tail etc) found in the aircraft/shared folder. These can be called in the mos file. Also bullethole and cannon hole textures are assigned to parts of the aircraft. My variable bullethole effects package uploaded here at SOH exploits the bullet hole texture names by producing five different sets of textures for each bullet hole name. That way you get truly randomised bullet holes appearing for an aircraft, rather than the same ones every time. The GC 110s are a classic example. They use the gc_bullethole textures in the mos file, so I've randomised those as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0