Ant's DH.82 Tiger Moth ❤️ for MSFS - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ant's DH.82 Tiger Moth ❤️ for MSFS

coming soon:
    dla(006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

azf04 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Haven't made the switch over to MSFS yet. Still happy rattling around in FSX, where I spend an inordinate amount of my time flying Ant's FSX version of the Tiger Moth.

And thought I was happy!

But looking at the detail in Ant's MSFS version of the Tiger Moth I'm blown away. So too am I by the incredible detail of the landscape's shown in the various screenshots. MSFS is really a quantum leap ahead of FSX. FSX looks positively bland in comparison.

Gonna have to upgrade, no doubt about it.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

UPM03 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

UPM05 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

UPM06 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

UPM07 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

It's so good to have Ant's Tiger Moth in MSFS, and so many great repaints already. I wonder if someone could do my favourite
    British Tiger Moth, G-AHOO, in it's green livery.

Thanks - Rob

Talking about G-AHOO: I hate my nitpicking attitude towards digital aircraft models. Particularly when the're as close to my heart as can be. Which even might be an understatement.

Anyway, here's what's on my nitpicking heart regarding Ant's fabulous Tiger Moth: anyone else thinks that the pilot figures could/should be a tad bigger ? Don't they make the Tiggie look a bit too big ?...

If i didn't absolutely insanely adore Ant's Tiggie i probabely wouldn't have bothered about the size of the pilot figures (nore about if Anthony may even detail/animate them a bit more (Ooh LaLa!... Long white scarf flapping about in the propwash ?...) since the're so in the wide open for anybody to see..

Who knows, he might be listening..

( P.S. i have always heared/learned that the Tiger Moth (like the Spitfire) is an aeroplane that you 'don't step into' as such, you 'put it on !' The pilot in the first G-AHOO photo here above clearly shows that particular phrase..)

you're not wrong - the difference is slight but it's there. Brings up a point about MSFS that is baffling. Why is scaling all over the place with the 3D models in this sim?
    The Milviz F4u, The GotFriends GeeBee, and dozens of freeware offerings have had scaling problems - some having to be redone.

I don't remember this happening in FSX and can't help but wonder if there's a reference tool missing from the SDK that would prevent this from happening.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I hadn't noticed, but now you come to mention it, yes the pilot figures are slightly too small. I talked to one developer many years ago (he's no longer active), and he said it is a notoriously difficult thing to get right. I don't know why that should be, but small/large pilot figures are something I've seen a number of times over the years, so he must have been right about it. That aside, Ant's Tiger Moth is bordering on perfection - really one of the most enjoyable aircraft in MSFS at the moment. I'm really looking forward to his CAC Winjeel too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiger3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	88517

This front seat pilot was just over 6 foot tall ... I know cos it was me and I didn't quite fit...
    The rear pilot was quite snug
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiger4.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	88518
    Click on the pix to enlarge them

For anyone who wants them, my first 6 paints for Ant's wonderful Tiger Moth are in the library here. There will be a few more, I just love doing these!
    Attachment 88519

Lovely stuff, SpaceWeevil. Off to get them now.

ah, good to see someone else painting the Tiger Moth, nice work!
    Here's one more from my side:
    gato(004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

gato(005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

over the Lago di Como, I hope to be there in 3 weeks time...

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    For anyone who wants them, my first 6 paints for Ant's wonderful Tiger Moth are in the library here. There will be a few more, I just love doing these!
    On my way to OJK... thanks mate!

C

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    It's so good to have Ant's Tiger Moth in MSFS, and so many great repaints already. I wonder if someone could do my favourite
    British Tiger Moth, G-AHOO, in it's green livery.

Thanks - Rob
    Rob, I just uploaded G-AHOO to the library, should be available soon.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    Attachment 88519
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Thanks for smileys and nice comments!

SOH-CM-2023
    Yes It looks fab & I liked the FSX version, would really like to upgrade to MSFS, but not if one is having to pay to help develop the program....
    BTW...Nitpick...I have never seen so many Tigers without their anti spin strake.....
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Yes It looks fab & I liked the FSX version, would really like to upgrade to MSFS, but not if one is having to pay to help develop the program....
    BTW...Nitpick...I have never seen so many Tigers without their anti spin strake.....
    Keith
    You mean like you do with Windows and MS Office?

Take a look at the screenshots, this proggie is lightyears ahead of FSX and P3D.

Just my two cents worth.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    BTW...Nitpick...I have never seen so many Tigers without their anti spin strake.....Keith
    Google "Tiger Moth aircraft images", Keith - you'll see hundreds of them. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    you're not wrong - the difference is slight but it's there. Brings up a point about MSFS that is baffling. Why is scaling all over the place with the 3D models in this sim?
    The Milviz F4u, The GotFriends GeeBee, and dozens of freeware offerings have had scaling problems - some having to be redone.

I don't remember this happening in FSX and can't help but wonder if there's a reference tool missing from the SDK that would prevent this from happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I hadn't noticed, but now you come to mention it, yes the pilot figures are slightly too small. I talked to one developer many years ago (he's no longer active), and he said it is a notoriously difficult thing to get right. I don't know why that should be, but small/large pilot figures are something I've seen a number of times over the years, so he must have been right about it. That aside, Ant's Tiger Moth is bordering on perfection - really one of the most enjoyable aircraft in MSFS at the moment. I'm really looking forward to his CAC Winjeel too.
    I guess it must be a bit like there are devs who care about pilot figures and there are devs that can't be bothered about them that much. Creating a digital aeroplane model is one thing, creating a digital human being model is quite another. You know, apples and oranges, dead structures and living organisms. I, for one, always loved the challenge, give them something 'out of the scope', something special. The pilot figure of the Maam-Sim B-25 would show a thumbs up before closing the cockpit window, the TBM/F pilot's sleeves would start flapping about in the propwash once the engine started and the canopy was still open ( saw that in the video's with Maam boss Russ Strine at the controls ;-). The co-pilot of our R4D/DC-3/C-47 would bring his right hand to his mouth every now and them, talking into a handheld microphone. IIRC it was at the UK flightsim forum that someone said that the Dakota co-pilot shouldn't drink that much coffee.... Hehe...

Animating an FS pilot figure can be a tricky business, particularly when you want him/her to follow the stick/rudder/throttle movements. Not sure because i have to still take the first step into modeling for MSFS but i believe it's still very tricky if not even more ... Creating a pilot figure in the frist place certainly is not that easy neither. Over the years though ready made digital human figures became available also to use for FS aircraft models. You would still need to adapt the lims, do the anims and scale them. And still the important paradigm of how much does a developer care about a pilot figure is very much at hand. How much time and effort is he willing to spend on it.

With MSFS there's a new player in town too: the default pilot figure. One would think that's THE answer to all pilot figure problems ! I really have no clue though... Is it animated ? ( i don't think so...?) Is it scalable ? ( i saw a few preview screenies of AH's forthcoming, very much anticipated DC-3/C-47 with the MSFS default pilot figure in the pilot seat with his eyes way above the windshield glass...

i'm sure they'll scale him down as needed..

Sofar we can see some very good looking pilot figures in MSFS, be it vintage or modern, and some not so good looking. The few of the latter kind i personally have a problem with are those that look like they swallowed a broom stick. Then there's still the remarkable fact that out of the fair amount of pilot figures that have their heads animated only a few show the typical split second head movement as per the real thing, most of 'em move their heads like grandma is reading the morning paper. Just a matter of incorrect use of time progression in between frames.

A pilot figure that looks nice, wears suitable clothing pertaining to the type of aircraft and era, and is scaled correctly can certainly lively up a digital aircraft model and makes it more appealing particularly when it's an open cockpit aeroplane. Although preferable doesn't even have to be animated just seated in a believable and natural stance. I'd say that Ant's exceptional beautiful Tiger Moth model certainly deserves pilot models that look as gorgeous as their Tiggie itself. It should be an inseparable glorious duo/trio. (one thing that should also be avoided (IMHO of course) a pilot and passenger/student that look like identical twins, looks very unrealistic).

Let's say that, when it comes to pilot figures in MSFS, despite the quite good looking default figures, sadly it still is a bit of a 'depressed region'.

In ending, another good view of how relatively small Tiggies are compared to the pilots that fly them. Sit back and relax with this 75 minutes of Tiger Moth galore extravaganza : https://youtu.be/4BnpJCmcKGM?t=151
    Last edited by Javis; October 9th, 2022 at 04:06.

I've updated I-GATO, it should not have roundels on the wings
    IGATO07 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

IGATO06 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ANSX06 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ANSX05 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ANSX04 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

There is now an updated paint kit, if needed. Scroll about halfway down the page:

https://www.antsairplanes.com/msfstigermoth.html

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Google "Tiger Moth aircraft images", Keith - you'll see hundreds of them. :-)
    I reckon the results from a google about 50/50 have the strakes.
    Keith

More incredible paints guys! Amazing looking aircraft.

Members who have read this thread: 1