I cannot do much now

Thread: I cannot do much now

SOH-CM-2024

I cannot do much now

I enjoy all the work being done here and want to participate, but I am afraid ever since MSFS came out, I have been hindered by a system not quite up to snuff. I can do well enough to enjoy a flight, but I am afraid my old 1060 card is pushed to the max and I just cannot compete with the beautiful stuff I see here. I am saving my pennies, but being retired takes time doing so, especially when inflation outpaces your income 3 to 1. I never gripe, because many can't even afford MSFS, I have had many wants in my lifetime, but I have never been want of need. A man is blessed simply by that.

Cazzie

Cazzie, my laptop only has a 1650 mobile, but I still get useable frames. It's all about finding a balance between visuals and performance. The video below came out shortly after the initial release, and I sat down with pencil and paper and took notes. Asobo has added a few more settings since, but these are my settings as of a few weeks back:

Render Scaling > 100
    V-Sync > Off
    DX Version > 11
    Anti-Aliasing > TAA
    Terrain LOD > 100
    Off Screen Terrain Pre-caching > High
    Terrain Vector Data > Ultra
    Buildings > High
    Trees > High
    Grass/Bushes > High
    Objects LOD > 100
    Clouds > Ultra
    Texture Resolution > Low
    Anisotropic Filtering > 4x
    Texture Supersampling > 4x4
    Texture Synthesis > Low
    Water Waves > High
    Shadow Maps 2048
    Terrain Shadows 128
    Contact Shadows > Ultra
    Windshield Effects > High (no glass screen reflections)
    Ambient Occlusion > Ultra
    Cubemap Reflections > 256
    Raymarched Reflections > Ultra
    Light Shafts > Ultra
    Bloom > On
    Depth of Field > Off
    Motion Blur > Off
    Lens Correction > Off
    Lens Flare > Off
    Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate > High

Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    I enjoy all the work being done here and want to participate, but I am afraid ever since MSFS came out, I have been hindered by a system not quite up to snuff. I can do well enough to enjoy a flight, but I am afraid my old 1060 card is pushed to the max and I just cannot compete with the beautiful stuff I see here. I am saving my pennies, but being retired takes time doing so, especially when inflation outpaces your income 3 to 1. I never gripe, because many can't even afford MSFS, I have had many wants in my lifetime, but I have never been want of need. A man is blessed simply by that.

Cazzie
    Hi , there is much to adjust in graphic settings, you should be able to run it i think with everything at LOW , and Level of Detail to 75~ , road traffic 10% , DX11 , no clouds, and try again in Borrego California or another rural airfield in a Cessna, with a restarted PC.

HB

I don't know how useful the suggested Nvidia Control Panel settings in the below video may be for you, but they
    made a huge difference for my (admittedly upper middle class) system. The suggested changes to the MSFS.cfg
    I didn't find that useful, and the suggested MSFS settings are more for higher end systems.

Anyway, the suggested changes to the NCP are easy to do, and easy to change back again if they don't work.
    I certainly swear by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6ZJIUnoqg&t=3s

I hope something here might help.

PS: Of course, in a week or two, the new Sim Update 10 is scheduled to be released, which may make all this obsolete.

I was running a 1060 with MSFS and was surprised at the smoothness. I think FS had the settings on High when I first loaded it up, and so I just left it there aside from some other minor changes. It looked great and I didn't do any other tweaking. I was actually getting better performance by far than P3D with Orbx stuff. Just for reference I had an i7-6700K and 16Gb RAM. The only reason I upgraded was my system was getting a little long in the tooth and I had the cash.

SOH-CM-2024
    Tom, I have seen the video before and do have my MSFS tweaked to where I get 20-25 fps in rural areas, but big cities are a no-no. I pretty much have everything I need save a real proper card; 4-core I7 processor, 32-GB RAM, etc.. I may have a solution when my brother returns from the beach. Lightning ran in on his PC two weeks ago and popped his motherboard. He's getting an all new PC with W-11 and a top of the line card. His burned out PC has a 2060 card and if that is still good, I'm going to stick it in my PC. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the assistance fellows, I do so appreciate it,
    Caz

Members who have read this thread: 0