Flight Replicas PA-11 Cub Special released

Thread: Flight Replicas PA-11 Cub Special released

Flight Replicas PA-11 Cub Special released

Hmm, was checking out the Marketplace releases for this week (and was shocked to see W27 Woodland, an airport I drive by every time I go to Portland!) and saw Flight Replicas has a PA-11 Cub Special out on Marketplace.

It's not listed on their website...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cub.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	88349

Is Michael still hanging around these parts? I already have FR's excellent L-4 Grasshopper, so I wonder how different the cub is here. I want to support FR, but from looking at the screens it feels like the flying experience here isn't going to feel a lot different than the L-4.

(But still, nice to see a retro classic Cub with all the crazy modern versions available.)

Hi Denny,

The PA-11 is essentially and up-engined Cub, with a slightly re-designed interior and seating positions - but nothing too dramatic. It's about 25 mph faster than the L-4/J-3, which is quite a lot in a small aircraft like that. Unlike the L-4, which is essentially in war-time spec, this PA-11 represents a more modern up-to-date version of the Cub Special, with radio and transponder. Pilots found the PA-11 to be more lively than L-4/J-3, and those who know it well called it the ultimate Cub. It was pilot reception to the PA-11 that prompted Piper to take things a step further and create the PA-18 Super Cub.

The PA-11 also has removeable pilots, and if you feel like it, tie-downs for the end of the day. (The updated L-4 Grasshopper now includes these, as well).

Hope that helps!

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Sounds different enough to justify picking up as well.

Do you plan to sell it direct, or is this a Marketplace exclusive?

(I'd rather give you 100% of the $ if that's going to be an option.)

Thank you for the PA-11!

I hope we see your J-3 and Super Cubs in MSFS soon!

Peden

Thanks, Peden! Will slowly get to the Super Cub. Next up should be the Curtiss P-40N, as the learning curve grows.... There's already a J-3 available from a different developer, I believe?

Still working on the Spitfire as the first pure MSFS aircraft (eg. not a heavily updated aircraft brought forward from FSX/P3D), and it's coming along well, although haven't decided which Mk. to do yet.

Denny, the PA-11 will be a Marketplace exclusive for now, as it'll give an idea of just how many use/prefer that method outside of the other vendors and the Flight Replicas website. Having encrypted files is a nice change, too....

Mike

I'm really enjoying the PA-11. All I'm really hoping for is a redo of the prop and some point. The 2D textures detract a bit. Thankfully, can't see that when I'm flying. An option to fully remove the window so I can fly with the door down would also be neat. If the engine could be louder when I do that, that'd also be neat, but I know Wwise is a beast so I don't expect much.

Quote Originally Posted by LostPilot View Post
    I'm really enjoying the PA-11. All I'm really hoping for is a redo of the prop and some point. The 2D textures detract a bit. Thankfully, can't see that when I'm flying. An option to fully remove the window so I can fly with the door down would also be neat. If the engine could be louder when I do that, that'd also be neat, but I know Wwise is a beast so I don't expect much.
    Thanks for the feedback - always appreciated.

Not quite sure what you mean by 2D textures?

And you can fly with the doors open. Are you having trouble finding the clickspots?

Having flown a J-3 real life with the doors open (and others as a skydiver), I don't remember it getting louder (especially with headset on). It does get a lot cooler! But can't quite do that in the sim yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by 2D textures?
    When looking at the prop with the engine off, it doesn't look like the prominent rivets (bolts? not sure what those are but they look more like rivets) are modeled, or that the metal is raised from the wood at all. This might be intentional as I imagine they try to keep the prop blade as smooth as possible IRL. Again though, given that I'm usually flying with the engine on (when I can help it!) It's not something I notice often.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    And you can fly with the doors open. Are you having trouble finding the clickspots?
    Having flown a J-3 real life with the doors open (and others as a skydiver), I don't remember it getting louder (especially with headset on).
    Fair enough. I think I got the idea from a YouTuber who just yanked the top window off (I assume to prevent aerodynamic issues vs leaving it open?) and laying the door down in flight. You're right though, I can just simulate that by opening both. Also a fair point about the sound. I doubt that door/window are doing much at all to muffle the engine to begin with!

Thanks again for this addon. I noticed in the manual it says it's Flight Replicas first addon for MSFS, but of course the Grasshopper was the first out of the gate. Was this the first one planned and it got hung up with Microsoft's Marketplace ingestion team forever, or was that just written into the manual before the decision to release the Grasshopper? Doesn't matter of course, just got curious when I read that.

Looking forward to more from you all!

Edit: Adding for anyone thinking about buying this, the flight model is superb. Having watched dozens of videos of patterns in the PA-11, this behaves very much as I expected. I can't attest to comparing it to the real thing as I've not flown this one IRL, but I don't think it'll disappoint.

Members who have read this thread: 4