Software questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Software questions

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    You can also grab otya128/winevdm. This lets old 16-bit Windows programs runs. It will NOT make MDLC works as it looks like MDLC is 16 bit DOS program.
    https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases/tag/v0.8.0
    Thank you! Again!

Mick; Don't be thanking me yet, its very easy to get lost in them thar fields.
    Don't forget those odd ball serial numbers, for example using a leading "0" to designate an airplane that's over ten years old/obsolete.

A couple other sources I use:

https://www.caracalmodels.com/

Caracal has great illustrations of their decals, just avoid the temptation of taking screen shots. They are a great source for confirming what the art work looked like and what colors (RGB) were used.

https://www.markstyling.com/f15c1.htm

Another great source for research. Be very careful if you try to "borrow" any of the art work. You'll get an automatic "ban" from the web site if you try to use the "save as" trick.
    I learned this by mistake. Also keep in mind, Mark creates his paintings as commissions. You're relying more on what people tell him or on whatever photos they had. The source material is limited in a way by how much people can remember. Likewise, never trust a color photograph. Especially if the plane is painted gray.

I’ve been reluctant to use decals as reference after decades of plastic modeling grumbling about how some decal artists or printers seemed to be convinced that the American national colors were red, white and black. And I’ve seen decals from respected publishers that color photos showed to have color mistakes. That said, decals have sent me on fruitful searches for photos, preferably in color since colors given in photo captions are sometimes incorrect.

Knowing official standards helps but standards are not always followed to the letter.

One of the most enjoyable parts of every project is the research, searching for clues and following them in the hope of pinning down some color or other detail. I did that for decades of plastic modeling before I ever got into FS. And before we had an interweb to search for references.

Of course it’s always nice to have an excuse to peruse scads of airplane pictures!

Mick

I am not sure where you got with Office 2010 but you can pretty much scrap it. You can buy Office off of MS Market place for $99 / year. A lot less than you would have paid for 2010 if you bought it retail.

Yes it is a subscription.

If you want to go the absolutely free route then use Open Office or Libreoffice either is an acceptable substitute.

https://www.openoffice.org/

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I run Open Office with my copy of Word 02 on my Win10.

Word 97 to Word 03 are more or less the same layout. Word 07 change to the ****ty UI.

Here is Word 02 and Open Office side by side. Open Office can read and write the Word .doc format. It can read Word 07 .docx files but not write them.

Open Office also has an Excel. Looks like it can read up to 2007 and write up to 2003 formats. It also uses the same UI as Excel 97 to 03 did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open Off Word 02.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	88372
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Mick
    I am not sure where you got with Office 2010 but you can pretty much scrap it. You can buy Office off of MS Market place for $99 / year. A lot less than you would have paid for 2010 if you bought it retail.
    Yes it is a subscription.
    If you want to go the absolutely free route then use Open Office or Libreoffice either is an acceptable substitute.
    Thanks Dave.

I would try Open Office before I’d buy a new version of Office. But the replies I got tell me that versions older than mine work in Win10, except for Outlook. I had to get a newer version of Outlook the last time I moved to a newer operating system but my old Word and Excel worked. I don’t know about Access or PowerPoint and I don’t care since I’ve never had any use for them.

I’ll find out pretty soon whether my Word, Excel and Outlook work. If not I’ll try Open Office.

My ancient Office 2007 works fine in Win10. Never used Outlook, so have not tried it.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KC013 View Post
    My ancient Office 2007 works fine in Win10. Never used Outlook, so have not tried it.
    My stuff is mostly even more ancient than that!

On my Win7pro rig I was running Word and Excel from Office 97. Outlook wouldn’t work so I had to get Outlook 2010.

I manage my life with Outlook; I’ve been lost and dazed without it. It was in my Start folder so it was the first thing I saw when I booted up in the morning. But after decades of use I still don’t know anything about many of its features.

I’ve never had any use or tolerance for PowerPoint. People who subject others to PowerPoint presentations should be…. Well, never mind.

Before I retired we used an Access ap at work that I hated and thought I could’ve done better than that with an automated form in Word. But they didn’t ask me. I wish they had.

Members who have read this thread: 0