Cfs2 Abandonware????

Thread: Cfs2 Abandonware????

Icon5 Cfs2 Abandonware????

Just a quick question before i post any links.... but is cfs2 now ABANDONWARE, if it ok i'll post link to site, with more than just the CFS2 iso.

Cheers mav

Thumbs up

Nope...you do realise that M$ will descend on you like a ton of ^&%$*, just for saying that!!, and you may be getting a knock at the door soonish...ha ha..

M$ have and never will 'abandon' any of their software, they hold onto every copyright they have, it's a policy of thiers. And it could only become abandonware if the copyright runs out in that country.

I think you may be getting some PM's though...

Cheers

Shessi

Icon28

Oh no!!!! Do you mean they're going to sue me for the millions i haven't got???

Lol

Cheers mav

If they do, I'll send you a postal order (remember those?!) to help out...

S

Lightbulb My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    Just a quick question before i post any links.... but is cfs2 now ABANDONWARE, if it ok i'll post link to site, with more than just the CFS2 iso.
    Cheers mav
    Thanks Mav .. the site was easy enough to find.
    Their claim is false, CFS2 is not freeware.

To the best of my knowledge: MS sold the copy & distribution rights for CFS2 to UBISOFT; 10+ years ago.

Therefore: UBISOFT not MS would be coming after you.
    - and they don't have nearly as much $$$ as MS! LOL!!!

But seriously ... WHO is gonna sue ANYONE, across International Jurisdictions, for $50 worth of ancient software?

Never gonna happen my friend !

BTW, the UBISOFT versions do not include the "CFS2 Book" .pdf (manual) & have UBISOFT trademark & copyright markings.

The plot thickens....

I also noticed the file size is way too small at ABANDONWARE when compared to the original MS version.
    Listed @ 676 MB this would indicate a "stripped down" version missing approx. 175 MB that the original has - indicating the UBISOFT version.

Originally CFS2 would be around 850 MB. Too big for 1 CD which is why it uses 2.
    I expect UBISOFT realized this & reduced the size to 1 CD as it's cheaper to produce. (single CD, single CD case)

I know from experience (back in 2006) in making an "stripped down" basic CFS2 install to use as a base for future "theatre specific" installs.
    Removing the CFS2Book (25MB), and ALL the "Multiplayer" screens, missions & support; would get the size down to around 676MB (1 CD)
    - I used to remove all the "Training" stuff too - dunno if UBISOFT retained it? I imagine they would.

That's pretty much the whole poop as I understand it.
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Thanks Dirtman,

So basically what they're saying is " it's ok to download.... just don't get caught"!!!! Lol

Cheers mav

Lightbulb More info - guns loaded now

EXACTLY Mav

I do allot of P2P torrents. Same issue.
    Use a quality VPN (NOT A FREE ONE) and "Bob's yer Uncle"

Never got another "copyright infringement" notice from my ISP since I started using Bitdefender & their VPN.

Just for fun I looked around to BUY a copy of CFS2. (sh*ts & giggles)
    Surprisingly ... it was not listed @ UBISOFT games!
    Nothing, nada, zip, zilch & dick.
    - although it appears that they moved their Head Office from Montreal to Toronto.

Found 3 "new" copies for sale on Amazon ... $15 each. Appeared to be the 2 disk MS versions.

I even trolled the Abandonware site looking for more info.
    All I found was a post by Brother Shadow Wolf 07 from 2019, praising CFS2.
    Hey Wolfman ... Brother Durt don't miss nuthin' !!! ROTF-LMFAO !!!!

The bottom line seems to show that YOU ARE MOST LIKELY CORRECT CFS2 has become Abandonware
    OUCH!

At $15 a copy; only someone like Donald Trump would try to sue you over it.

If UBISOFT has walked away from CFS2 it would indicate it has little value in today's marketplace.

Again ... the truth hurts ... but those turkeys have NO IDEA of what they are missing & the enjoyment we all still get on every boot!

Mav - check yer PM's ... I've got something for you, if'n yer want "them".
    Rami did!

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Members who have read this thread: 0