Gamescom 2022 Announcements and Discussion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamescom 2022 Announcements and Discussion

Lightbulb Gamescom 2022 Announcements and Discussion

Gamescom 2022 kicked off earlier this week and the Microsoft show featuring Flight Simulator and other games starts tomorrow, Thursday, August 25th, 2:00pm CEST - 8:00pm CEST/8:00am EDT - 2:00pm EDT.

Where to watch:

What to expect:
    • Local Legend 6 Announcement/Trailer
    • Trailer 2 for the 40th Anniversary Edition
    • "CU1" Update - This has been revealed to be "City Update 1" focusing on Cologne, more details tomorrow
    • Surprise Announcements?

I'll be watching live and will update this thread as announcements are made for those unable to watch.

Local Legend 6 is Junker F13

• millimeter perfect 3d scan of both cockpit and exterior
    • developed in collaboration with Oliver Moser

City Update 1

• Hannover
    • Dortmund
    • Düssedorf
    • Bonn
    • Köln

Helicopters

• Transitional lift
    • Ground Effect
    • Vortex Ring State
    • Blade Chop
    • Phase Lag

Gliders

• Tow Planes
    • Thermals

40th Anniversary Edition

• Curtis Jenny
    • Grumman Goose
    • Hughes H4 Hercules

12 planes
    14 heliports
    4 classic airports
    missions are returning

Trailers coming when available online.

And finally, the official press release. Apologies for the incorrect information above, I can't edit that post. The correct information is:

• 4 classic commercial airports
    • 10 glider airports
    • 12 new aircraft
    • 14 heliports
    • 20 classic missions from the franchise’s past

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/08/...ates-gamescom/

Interesting times.
    Thanks for he updates.
    T43

I'm looking forward to the 'what-if' repaints for the Spruce Goose. The mind boggles!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I'm looking forward to the 'what-if' repaints for the Spruce Goose. The mind boggles!
    Wow, Spruce Goose!!! Hard to tell its a good or not idea .

Junkers F13 - great idea! We had it few.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Thanks for putting this thread together! Did not expect to see the Hercules in the announced aircraft list but keen to give it a try. Excited for the DHC-2, DC-3 and Jenny.

The Jenny and Spruce Goose were the big surprises, no pun intended, to me. Also, the helo drivers have to be excited about the update as well.

Looking forward to the Jenny, that is a great surprise. I am also not sure about the H4 Spruce Goose, while it exists it never really had a proper flight so any flight characteristics are purely speculative and I would almost consider it a fictional aircraft.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    while it exists it never really had a proper flight so any flight characteristics are purely speculative and I would almost consider it a fictional aircraft.
    I'd like to say that we've achieved a high enough standard of computing and aeronautical knowledge to know within a pretty fair margin of how the actual aircraft would have flown. I'm pretty excited for it, fiction or not
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Very interesting developments! I'm very excited about the Jenny, as I have been for the Spirit of St. Louis, and it will be fantastic to give the Hughes H4 a go as well! I can only imagine now how stunning that cockpit is going to look.

I've never been a fan of the design, but it is neat to see that the Junkers F13 will be the next "Local Legend". That aircraft has actually started to have a whole new life now, with Rimowa and Junkers Flugzeugwerke AG re-manufacturing a few in recent years.

Jorg mentioned that they worked with the Evergreen Museum in Oregon on the Spruce Goose and that they (the museum) were "so happy because this will be the first time the Spruce Goose really flys".

You can watch the full presentation here:

Is the Grumman Goose shown in the video the same one as that produced by Big Radials ?

Spruce Goose...

Eight engines... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there still a limit of four in the sim? I can understand positioning thrust between pairs, but what about manual startup?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Spruce Goose...

Eight engines... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there still a limit of four in the sim? I can understand positioning thrust between pairs, but what about manual startup?
    You'll have to read the POH Tom...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Spruce Goose...

Jorg Neumann announced earlier this year that more than four engines was now possible. It gave rise to speculation at Avsim about what the next Local Legend would be - the An-225 and Do.X were favourites, but the H-4 also got a mention. So, based on that, individual start-ups and throttles for each engine.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    You'll have to read the POH Tom...
    hmmm... perhaps a clue to who's making it for MS?

I'm guessing they'll have a way for those of us (probably everyone) who don't have 8 engine/propeller controls to run this beast. And perhaps this is a lead-in for MS' next game: Microsoft Congressional Hearing Simulator....

I think this is a great use of a simulator -- to explore what might have been. Having seen the real thing a few times, I'm looking forward to this one.

- dcc
    - -

seeing the Spruce Goose in MSFS is triggering my Boeing 314 jones...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Is the Grumman Goose shown in the video the same one as that produced by Big Radials ?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    seeing the Spruce Goose in MSFS is triggering my Boeing 314 jones...
    That was my first thought as well. It would make a good candidate for one of the Legend releases.

It's rather weird that the Grumman Goose shown as part of the 40th anniversary addon isn't the Big Radials one, as it has the same inaccurate leading edges to the cowls. However, the carb intake for the starboard engine is positioned on the correct side of the cowling on this new one. You would think though too that they would at least have built the retractable float version, as at least then we would have two different versions of the Goose.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 25th, 2022 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    That was my first thought as well. It would make a good candidate for one of the Legend releases.
    the world has forgotten the flying boat era completely and how crucial they were to global air travel - making use of existing seaports in countries where airports didn't yet exist.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Wish they'd at least done the Albatross, since that's not available for the sim. Really annoying they did the Goose, since Big Radials and OzWookie have both freeware and payware versions available now. Unlike the PC-6, where MS didn't know MilViz and the Ukranian developer both had it coming too, the Goose was available before they decided to add it.

The 40th Anniversary Goose is being done by Inibuilds.

Members who have read this thread: 0