Multiple Installs Of FS2004

Thread: Multiple Installs Of FS2004

Multiple Installs Of FS2004

Hello everyone. I've been gone from flight siming for a while. I'm not sure if I will ever be able to get a machine that will run the newest flight sims but I still really enjoy both FS2004 and FSX not to mention some other combat sims.

Now that I'm back I have been setting up my multiple installs of FS2004. So far I have a clean (no add-ons), Golden Wings, and Silver Wings. I was curious how many other folks had and which ones.

Thanks,

Rob

I have four.

First, in terms of time frame, is Golden Wings, covering the period from the beginning of flight to the end of WW2, depending on what part of the world. In various parts of the US it’s the twenties or thirties, except WW2 in a few spots like Muroc. In the UK it’s the twenties, thirties, or WW2, depending on where you are, and in the Pacific it’s 1941 in Hawaii but WW2 is raging further west.

Next comes FS1954, A Half Century of Flight, covering the period from the end of the war through the fifties. It’s heavily developed in the US and UK, fairly so elsewhere. Lately it’s been my primary area of interest but the Golden Age still appeals strongly.

Both of those are very heavily developed with period correct scenery and AI.

After that comes FsJetAge, covering most of the sixties. It’s almost as developed as the others in the US and UK, not so much elsewhere. I’m mainly interested in the Golden Age and the Classic Era, with just enough interest in jets that are just a little too modern to fit into FS54, so I have JetAge with its early sixties-ish AI and static models on the airports.

Finally there’s Fs2004, developed only in my local region of western and southern New England, and that I’ve never actually flown in that I can remember, which is why it’s development stalled and will possibly never resume. I started it so I’d have a sim to fly modern planes in, but I have little interest in modern planes and because I spend all my limited hobby time fiddling with models, scenery and AI, I never even get time to fly the planes I’m more interested in, in the time periods that appeal to me more. If I have to install from scratch on a new computer I probably won’t bother with this one.

Rob,

I have two (2) on mine.

One is Classic and is dedicated to the late 50s and early 60s, though I have some jets in there as well. Most of those are HJG 707's and CaptainSim 707's, but I also have a few 737-200s in there as well. It's basically everything from the CalClassic website as far as the scenery goes and is the largest as far as disk space goes.

The other is what I call "Platinum Wings" which is basically a stripped down version of Golden Wings which I then put on steroids. It's basically for everything up to and including WW2 and is primarily everything from SOH along with vintage aircraft from some other websites and CFS2 conversions (when possible).

I also have the executable as "fs9.exe" on both. I have a registry program that lets me switch between the two in order to let the computer "know" which "exe" is the sim in use. This is more to allow for design software to operate properly, more than anything else. It also allows me to fly in either one with online weather, which is nice. Well, until you ground-loop because of cross winds, that is.

Also, I have the directory structure straight in the "C:" drive, so the Classic one is "C:\FS9_Classic" and PW is currently in "C:\FS9_GW3" until I can come up with a set of instructions for installation so that others can follow my steps and tests and have their own version of Platinum Wings. It may also be a good "base" for use to "retro" FSX, though several things on that version may not be too easy to retro from past tests.

Regards,

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Thank you both. I'm interested doing similar installs that you both described.

My GW3 install covers up to WWII. I think I may also do separate installs for the 50's and 60's to include appropriate props, jets, and helos. I think I would like to include the Korean war for the 50's install and a Vietnam for the 60's. Not sure how that is going to play out.

I like the idea of a separate FSJetAge as Mick described.

Jorge, I think we spoke a little bit about your "Platinum Wings" install during my FSX GW3 discussion. I would be interested in seeing how that looks.

Thanks again,

Rob

Vietnam for the sixties sim and Korea for jet age are on my to do list but still not done.

Ian’s Suwon should get me started on Korea. Once I get a real confutor and some hobby time.

Members +
    Prior to my laptop being 'liberated', I had the following unique installs:
    Golden Wings
    Ford Tri-Motor Project - the late Garry Smith did outstanding themed scenery & aircraft textures.
    Vintage install (prior to GW, beginning of flight
    Space yep with space craft & space scenery
    Alaska - with an overlap into North America
    Heritage - post GW & including WWII

All have different themed startup & splash screens.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Robin that sounds very interesting. You all have given me some food for thought. Once I figure it out I'm going to have to report back here on the different installs I finally came up with.

As some of you I also use FS9 in different configurations.

Depending which era I like to be, I just rename the corresponding scenery file. It means f.i. 'scenery62' to 'scenery'. Doing this way it allows to use the same tools like AFX, IS, Meteo and others installed only once. The different scenery.cfg activate the addons folders needed.

Bernard

I'm working on getting some pics done. There's been some interest in PW, so I'm putting some of the dev work on hold for now to see how I can get some pics done with some notes.

I'm almost done with some CNAC textures for the two Commodores they operated.

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Thank you leunen and Jorge.

The different scenery folders looks interesting. I would like to understand that a little better. Does each folder have a different scenery.cfg file?

Jorge, looking forward to your pics.

Thanks,

Rob

I have a few sceneries in Golden Wings with alternate versions. One is the Cleveland air races, my enhanced versions of the stock GW airport. The planes that were there in the early and late thirties were very different and I have a vast selection of models that fit into both periods. So I have two scenery folders, one early and one late thirties, with different static planes and AI.

One folder is named Cleveland 32 and the other Cleveland 39. In the scenery.cfg I just have one Cleveland entry, and I just change the last digit in the title line to determine which version comes up in the sim. It’s quick and easy, and no chance of accidentally loading them both at the same time. I have a couple other scenery areas where I’ve done that sort of thing.

I did that with my local Air Guard base in FS1954, with different static models and AI, so depending on my mood of the moment I can have it display as it looked in the F-47, F-51, F-94 or F-84F years.

if only I had the hobby time to actually fly from those places in the sims once in a while…

Quote Originally Posted by SgtT View Post
    Does each folder have a different scenery.cfg file?
    My Addon Scenery folders contain the scenery subfolders to be used with the particular eras. They also include traffic and Afcad folders. The different scenery.cfg activate the needed folders. A problem is to manage the different years of the Fities / beginning Sixties. These have their own traffic and in some cases use time specifically created airports.

Bernard

Thank you all. I've got to carve out some time where I can start setting up my different eras in FS2004. Would it be OK in the future to PM if I have any questions?

Thanks,

Rob

Members +
    Yep.. Give a shout anytime..
    For me, I preferred separate installs. So all my installs were self contained with themed splash screens.
    I found this out the hard way by having coastline conflicts with 2 sceneries.
    I also have a clean install with no addons, in case something bombs out and a copy & paste will sort things out.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I also have a clean install with no addons, in case something bombs out and a copy & paste will sort things out.
    A clever tip that cannot be be mentioned often enough!

Bernard

Members who have read this thread: 1