My accident
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My accident

Members +

My accident

I must apologise for my lack of posts this year.
    I was a victim of a hit & run accident in March, and today is my Day 143 in hospital.
    I ended up lying in the middle of the road, then waking up in ICU. My injuries were 20 stitches in my forehead, 4 broken ribs, pelvis broken in 3 places,
    And both my fibia & tibia broken in an open wound. (Skin graft sorted that out)..Oh..also I had both bones in my right arm broken, I've a metal plate in
    My wrist as well as a broken baby finger. Oh.. 4 ribs as well!
    So my right leg has been in a metal frame since 3 months ago, with pins going from the frame, through the bones to stabilise the bones together.
    The big issue is, since Sunday my leg has become seriously infected, to the extent that I'll probably loose my leg from just below my knee.
    The big red flags are the infection, the tibia & fibia bones not knitting (it's been 3 months since the frame).. Plus since the accident, I have no feeling in my foot, from ankle down.. Anyway, I'm alive and hopefully I'll be getting back to normal
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Robin,

Take care of yourself. We're all pulling for you!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Robin, very sorry to hear of your accident and your injuries, especially the situation with your leg. Prayers and positive vibes going out for your full recovery.

Geeez Robin, so sorry to hear of these horrific injuries.

Hope you recover

I'm out of words for this! I hope you'll recover. Hang in there, Robin!

Atb

Cees

Members +
    Thanks so much guys.
    Over the years, SOH has become my second home and I have met (virtually) some amazing and supportive people. This hit n run accident follows my 2 months in hospital Covid stay, with Covid pneumonia and acute kidney failure.

I got through that, I'll get through this.
    Anyway, I'm due to loose my leg, from below the knee, hopefully tomorrow, depending on operating theatre business.

Thanks once again, for all your support.

By the way, wait for some interesting downloads. Over the past year, I've been beta testing some very new 'aircraft' that will be freeware & payware. That's all I can say.
    I'm off to snooze.. it's 09:37 here in Cape Town.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Robin,
    So, so sorry to hear what you've been, and are going through. I hope you get on the mend soon.

Very best of wishes

Shessi

Hi Robbie, sorry to hear about your accident, and recovery woes, I was wondering, as a 'long covid' sufferer myself , have your medics considered that covid changes to your blood chemistrymight be behind things not healing properly,

I'm 18 months past covid, still on a barrage of tablets to keep things stable.

The British Heart Foundation ( bhf) have published a few papers on it, this is one

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...lood%20vessels.

Ttfn

Pete

Robin hang in there brother. I've been dealing with a lot of health issues myself.

Wish you all the best and hoping you'll turn the corner soon.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Hello Robin, Sorry to hear about your injuries. Best wishes for a fast recovery.
    Always good to hear from you. Please keep in contact with us when you feel like it.

Take care,
    John

Hey Robin,

I can’t find the words to properly express my sympathy and good wishes.

I hope your healing will progress more smoothly and that your leg won’t turn out as badly as you expect.

Best wishes!

Mick

That is really sad news Robin. It is good you try to look at the positive side as you indeed could have been dead.

I hope they will be able to save your leg. But I'm afraid the fact you tibia and fibula bones don't knit is most probably age related. Our bodies are simply not the same we had when we were in our twenties. Broken bones do become a problem at our age. (I have some experience....).

But the good news is you are back and hopefully enjoy being among us again.

And I'm sure we will all tease you with some nice screenshots and perhaps a few new items once in a while, which you hopefully can enjoy as soon as you are home again.

Take care,
    Huub

Members +
    It never rains but it pours...
    A few days ago, my laptop & 5 portable drives in a backpack, was stolen out of a friend of mines car.
    She was keeping it for me whilst I'm in hospital.
    6 installs of FS2004 & years of collecting planes & scenery (some stuff from sites that have long disappeared.
    Oh well.. I'll have to start all over again.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Robin
    I suppose in common with many others on here, I have 20 odd years of downloads stored on external drives so, if I can help with restoring your FS installs just shout out.
    Very best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
    David

Ouch, I think this is one of the worst nightmares from most of use here. Over the years we all must have a big collection of models not longer available, unfinished prototypes of models which are irreplaceable, long disappeared scenery, unique repaints, etc.

Try to look at it from the bright side. Like most of us you must also have though: "I really should clean this install a bit".
    And most of us here have quite a backup with older or rare models, so hopefully most of what has been stolen can be replaced.

And all is relative, as I personally worry more about your leg.

Take care,
    Huub

I dont know why people have to be such a***holes in life

Im sure some of us can help you get back some stuff Robin. We're a pretty good community over here at SOH and tend to look out for one another

I also have a gazillion models and sceneries collected since the earliest days of FS9 and before. Even though I’m currently without a real computer I can access my online backup storage site where I have all the downloaded zip files and send a download link to any item. I can only do one item at a time, but if there’s anything you need that you can’t get more quickly elsewhere, chances are that I have it.

Well, if it’s a plane I probably have it. My scenery stash is not nearly as comprehensive as my aircraft collection, but I do have a lot of scenery.

I sympathize with your need to rebuild your FS installs. I have four, threes of them very developed, and if it turns out that I have to go to a newer operating system to get a real computer going, I’ll also probably have to start from scratch.

Members +
    Thanks SO much everyone.
    When I get back on my feet, actually foot, I'll sort my hardware and give a shout out.

At the moment, it's 20:00 local time & I'm in the hospital Ward, awaiting the operation call..
    I'll be baaack!!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

SOH-CM-2023
    Robbie, Very much OUCH having just caught your tale of woe for 2022. Hope your latest op has gone OK. Wishing your luck changes very soon. I've been lucky so far as regards Covid & his (her?) offspring although the heat currently in UK saps my strength on top of my Parkinson's weakness.
    Having moved house again I am getting back into modelmaking for FS9 with an aircraft I was lucky enough to be allowed to fly & with the part owner being an instructor and a Flight Sim user, we have got the flight characteristics (I think) spot on - just got to find a way of disabling the springs in the joystick because in the real world one can control her with just a finger & thumb!
    Good Luck
    Keith

Members +
    My op was done yesterday morning. All went well and now I can understand that phantom pains are all about.
    Thanks,guys for all the wishes. Much appreciated.
    Im lying here in the thinking about rebuilding my multiple FS2004 installs and where to find all the unique addons I had.. Carl Reddin, Garry Smith, Bill Lyons, Golden Wings.. The list goes on...
    But I gotta get me a laptop first.

Anyway... (My dark sense of humour)
    🪚+🦵🦵=🦵
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Glad to hear that you surgery went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Bloody hell Rob !!!,thought you'd been quiet for a while.

As everyone else says,hopefully it'll go well and I've also got a ton of Fs stuff saved so shout up.

Glad to know that the operation went well.

I wish you a speedy recovery and a highly functional peg leg. They have some pretty nifty pegs these days.

Robin, get yourself sorted then get a new rig and I'm sure the rest of us will do what we can to help you track down your files.

I also left some posts over at FS.com and I'm trying to not repeat myself.

Rob,

Glad all our prayers were answered. Told you we were pulling for you!

Don't worry about the files. We've got you covered. I've been going through my files for a project I've been doing, and if there are things in there that are out of the ordinary I'll definately put them here.

With files going back 20 years, there may be something there that isn't available anymore.

Regards,

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Members who have read this thread: 0