FSX Has Stalled!

Thread: FSX Has Stalled!

FSX Has Stalled!

Not sure yet what could have caused this, but I'm searching for an answer. Everything was fine until I started the Sim to check a livery I did. After 10 minutes I still only had the FSX startup screen and it was going nowhere. I checked the Task Manager and although it did not indicate the Flight Simulator was not responding it did have a notation I had not seen before. (See the screen shot below).

The number 2 in Parenthesis was new as well as the Power Usage indication far right shows Very High, something else I rarely if ever saw from the Sim.

I tried starting with a fresh config file but that didn't work so I'm looking to see what else it could be before having to do a fresh install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FSX_Fault.jpg  
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

You stated "FSX startup screen"....Splash Screen? Did something muck up your logbook.bin?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Are you on the boxed version of FSX Ed or the Steam version?

I sometimes used to get a frozen start-up screen on FSX-SE where the boot up would freeze or I would get the initial selection screen but it would freeze when I went to actually start the selected flight (whether it was a saved flight or a new selection). Closing the sim AND closing Steam and restarting both would usually fix the issue.

The fact that you have a (2) in the manager window would seem to indicate that you have a second instance of the sim active. You didn't accidentally triple or quad click the start button did you? Two simultaneous instances could eat up resources real fast. If it was caused by the latter scenario you might want to check the mouse button repeat status.

I recently had to replace an expensive Logitech Trackball after the left mouse button became unreliable and I was never sure if I was going to get a single click, a double click, a triple click or no click at all when I pressed it!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Are you on the boxed version of FSX Ed or the Steam version?

I sometimes used to get a frozen start-up screen on FSX-SE where the boot up would freeze or I would get the initial selection screen but it would freeze when I went to actually start the selected flight (whether it was a saved flight or a new selection). Closing the sim AND closing Steam and restarting both would usually fix the issue.

The fact that you have a (2) in the manager window would seem to indicate that you have a second instance of the sim active. You didn't accidentally triple or quad click the start button did you? Two simultaneous instances could eat up resources real fast. If it was caused by the latter scenario you might want to check the mouse button repeat status.

I recently had to replace an expensive Logitech Trackball after the left mouse button became unreliable and I was never sure if I was going to get a single click, a double click, a triple click or no click at all when I pressed it!
    Hi Larry, I'm on FSX/Accel (boxed versions).
    I've closed and reopened a dozen times now. . .each time removing a line or two from the original Config file (like the startup situation or the TRUSTED items that were added last), none of that has made any difference. Then I put the last airplane I've been working on (Cessna 206 Stationair) in a separate hangar so it wouldn't load. . .no joy there either.

I went to task manager again and right clicked on the Flight Sim line to "Expand" and the number corresponds to other programs that are starting along with the Sim. . .all fine I suppose but included in that list were these:
    as_audio (32bit)
    SODE for FSX/P3D (32bit)
    DOS window (Host)

First of all I've never had any of that before in the Task Manager. . .and why would the DOS window be doing anything with FSX?

Current System Specs:

Maybe this has pushed me to doing something I've considered for awhile now. . . .moving FSX/Acel to an external SSD. Any comments welcome. (ADATA SE800 1TB)

Current System Specs:

Any windows errors? Any new modules (dlls) recently added?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I had a problem similar to this once which turned out to be caused by a faulty scenery config. I renamed the scenery.cfg file to force a re-index and it came back to life.

Where the scenery.cfg file hides in your system is another matter! I think I used a program called TreeSize to find it. It will search hidden folders as well as public ones.

TreeSize is free and a great way to keep track of what files are bloating up your hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Maybe this has pushed me to doing something I've considered for awhile now. . . .moving FSX/Acel to an external SSD. Any comments welcome. (ADATA SE800 1TB)
    If that external SSD connects using USB, then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. Transfer speeds just aren't sufficient to have a flightsim function normally.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    If that external SSD connects using USB, then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. Transfer speeds just aren't sufficient to have a flightsim function normally.
    Priller
    Thanks! I ordered this one instead:

GIGABYTE AORUS Gen4 7000s SSD
    1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2,
    Nanocarbon Coated Aluminum Heatsink,
    3D TLC NAND, SSD
    GP-AG70S1TB

Current System Specs:

It seems that it was one or several sceneries I activated a few days ago. Not sure which one but I'll figure that out soon enough. I only had one region (Texas) active so it shouldn't be too difficult to narrow it down. I'll install the new SSD tomorrow and move Flight Sim to that drive.

Current System Specs:

Wasn't there also a bug that would prevent the sim to start if there was anything wrong in the logbook entries, and that required you to edit the logbook to remove the last, or last few entries ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Wasn't there also a bug that would prevent the sim to start if there was anything wrong in the logbook entries, and that required you to edit the logbook to remove the last, or last few entries ?
    Yes Sir. . .this from FSDeveloper Website:

Corrupted Logbook, (do not edit any entry, other than the latest).
    Subsequently FSX refuses to start, only loading to the initial title screen.
    Solution - Corrupted Logbook
    Look for the file - Logbook.BIN in -
    Filename OS Location Editor Download
    Logbook.BIN XP C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ FSX Log Book Editor Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb)
    Logbook.BIN Vista C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ FSX Log Book Editor Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb)
    Rename Logbook.BIN to - Logbook_DATE.BIN
    Now fire up FSX.
    Does FSX now load properly ?
    If so, you had a corrupted logbook.
    There are a number of Logbook Editors available.
    Example - http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/software.html
    FSX will have created a new - Logbook.BIN
    Rename it to - Logbook_Empty.BIN
    Copy - Logbook_DATE.BIN
    Rename the copy as - Logbook.BIN
    Open the logbook in the editor.
    Delete the last entry.
    Save the file & close the editor.
    Fire up FSX.
    Hopefully that should work,
    and you'll have all, but your very last flight, logged.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Think I said that way back in post #2
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Well, in my haste to move to an SSD I failed to check if my Mobo even had an M.2 slot. . .NOPE! So I've had to purchase an adapter to use the last PCIe slot so it'll be Thursday before I can get it installed.

Current System Specs:

Going back to what ailed my FSX originally. . .turns out, after some detective work that it was "Alliance Airport", something had gotten corrupted apparently. Deleted that file and downloaded the file again from flightsim dot com. This installation works fine now.

Current System Specs:

Glad you got it worked out!
    Greenhouse357

Members who have read this thread: 0