VF-6B USS Saratoga (CV-3) 1936

Thread: VF-6B USS Saratoga (CV-3) 1936

VF-6B USS Saratoga (CV-3) 1936

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military skins - General

Description: These textures are meant to represent VF-6B aboard the USS Saratoga (CV-3) during her 1936 cruise. They are for the F4B-4 model for FS2004 by Paul Clawson available at all major flightsim sites.

These are all 18 aircraft along with serialization, full codes, and colors.

Part 1 of a series dedicated to the Saratoga Air Group and the work of Paul Clawson.

For Golden Wings or FS2004. May work in FSX and CFS2 with the usual modifications, but have not been tested.

Installation instructions included.

Jorge

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit VF-6B USS Saratoga (CV-3) 1936
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks Jorge. I will try to add the planes as AI to the Lexington World Cruise. Some several months ago I created a small F4B traffic for Lexington and Saratoga mooring at Montauk. With copy / paste of the ADE to some other locations it could be done in a reasonable time. Just where it makes really sense.

Bernard

Thanks, Bernard. If this helps, it's where I've gotten the info for the makeup of the air goup:

http://www.wings-aviation.ch/24-Naval-Wings/Airgroup-Basis-en.htm

Just click on the F3F pic and it will take you to the page with all the prewar air groups and where they were and when. Much clearer than the PDF's from the US Naval History website.

Regards,

Jorge

I painted all the section leaders for all the F4B operating squadrons and some other units many years ago. Long enough ago that they surely are not up to my current standards, partly in the accuracy of the proper shades of a couple colors. Your new skins are probably better but alas, I can’t check them out in the absence of a real computer.

Anyway, if there’s anything on my skins that you can use on future work, like squadron insignia or whatever, feel free to copy and use them.

I can suggest a couple references if you don’t have them already. One is William T Larkins books, combines into one volume, U.S. Navy Aircraft 1921 - 1941 and U.S. Marine Corps Aircraft 1914 - 1959. It’s a picture book with three photos with captions on each page. Larkins’ goal was to include a photo of every aircraft used or tested by the naval services in the markings of every unit that ever flew it. He didn’t miss by much! Aside from a very few caption errors the book’s only weakness is that the photos are all black and white, which makes it tricky to tell whether metal parts are painted silver or light gray, and sometimes makes it hard to be sure of trim colors. Knowing the time frames for color usage and markings specs helps with such questions. The book is readily available through Amazon and other on line book sellers.

Less easily available is Volume One 1908 - 1941 of Major John Elliott’s four volume set of The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide. It’s the ultimate reference for pre-WW2 US Navy and Marine aircraft, with detailed information on markings and colors. It even includes big color chips of all the colors matched to the actual colorfast ceramic reference samples in storage at the National Bureau of Standards. Everything anyone could ever need when painting models is there. The only flaw is that it’s been out of print for years and if you can find a copy you might have to mortgage your house to afford it. But maybe a determined search through sites like Thriftbooks and others that consolidate offerings from many dealers in used books might turn up an affordable copy.

As a poor substitute for the Elliott book, you might be interested in this perhaps overly detailed file I made on interwar naval and marine aircraft colors and markings, with information taken largely from the Elliott book. I put a copy of this in with my skin sets of appropriate models (when I think of it.). You can grab a copy of the most updated version from my A-Drive backup site:

https://www.adrive.com/public/9kdqtm...20Markings.txt

It always warms my heart when someone takes a real interest in these aircraft, which are one of my very top interests.

Mick,

Check your PM's.

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Bernard, I certainly hope to see a nice pictorial of this on the CC forum vintage page is coming. Can any of you tell me where these planes home ports where when not on the cruise? Would be nice to have an ai traffic file for that. Jorge, I have downloaded all this and the VS-2b you just released but will be a little bit before I can get to it due to all the scenery work going on in the Classic world, but I am sure looking forward to it as this era is my other favorite. I have all of Micks repaints doing ai duty somewhere in my GW install and looking foreward to adding these.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    … Can any of you tell me where these planes home ports where when not on the cruise?…Al
    The Scouting Force was based at Norfolk and the Battle Force was based at San Diego in 1937. I’m pretty certain they were in those places in 1936 too.

Al,

Here are a few links. They are for a few of the sites I have used.

http://www.wings-aviation.ch/27-USNa...y-Basis-en.htm

https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...2/fy-1936.html

http://www.fleetorganization.com/index.html

https://www.naval-history.net/xGW-RN...n1919-39.htm#1

Hope these help.

Can't wait to see the screenshots!

At least the BFC-2 (F11C) should be easier/simpler since there's a good paint kit by Caz Dalton for the Eduardo Fadul model. I already did the flight model with the aircraft.cfg, so I won't have to make the paint kit first.

Regards,

Jorge
    Miami, FL
    Last edited by Jorge; July 28th, 2022 at 07:50. Reason: Format checking and fixing.

Thanks Mick/Jorge. Nice to have this info published here so I can come back to it later.

Members who have read this thread: 1