Italian evolution

Thread: Italian evolution

Hybrid View

Italian evolution

The Fiat G50 Freccia (arrow) became the Fiat G55 Centauro (centaur)

The Macchi C.200 Seatta (Lightning) became the Macchi C.205 Veltro (Greyhound)

The Reggiane Re2001 Falco II (Falcon) became the Reggiane R.2005 Sagittario (Archer)

Cheers,
    Huub

Interesting how a cockpit canopy and an in-line engine can transform a clunky looking plane into a sleek beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Interesting how a cockpit canopy and an in-line engine can transform a clunky looking plane into a sleek beauty.
    That is exactly what I thought Mick. The early aircraft looked a bit "primitive", but the Italian series 5 fighter are definitely among the best looking aircraft from WWII.

I cheated a bit with the Reggiane as the first in line was of course the Re.2000 Falco I , however the only model available is aged CFS2 model by Corrado La Posta.
    The Re.2005 was an absolute beauty and the model by Luca Festari (Sky unlimited payware), really shows its beauty very well.

And the images show that the Italians really loved long nosed aircraft!

Cheers,
    Huub

Does anybody else still fly the Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario by Luca Festari & others, which was published by Skyunlimited (jesse Lambert)?

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    Yes. Over the last week, I've mostly been flying the Re.2005, along with the Macchi C.205V for comparison.
    Currently a visitor at the Ancona Aero club, LIPY Falconara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-2022-jul-27-002.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	910.0 KB 
ID:	88044

Nice to see the model is still in use despite its age. I was just curious. The aircraft is often referred to as the most beautiful Axis aircraft and I can fully understand why people did put this label on it. For me personally the Macchi C.202 Folgore could be labelled as most beautiful as well. But as often said "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

Long ago I understood from Luca that the model wasn't very well sold. Most likely too exotic for the Bf.109, Spitifire and Mustang lovers . Which is really a pity as the model is very nicely done.

Those with sharp eyes might have noticed I have been playing with the textures. The original ones by Alessandro Biaggi are quite nice, but I wanted to add a bit more detail. And there are (too) many opinions how the colour "Verde Oliva Scuro 2" actually looked. Or were they actually painted Verde Mimetico 2? There are also difference in opinion about the lower surfaces. And how grey or blue is "Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1".

And I think a flying Re2005 would draw quite some spectators at the Ancona Aero club!

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 2