C-60

Thread: C-60

C-60

There is a C-60 currently parked on the tarmac outside my office. You don't often get a good look at the Lockheed wing slot detail in vintage photos.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Interesting!! (And a much better view than from 'my' workplace) Do you happen to know what the things on top of the vertical stabilizers are? They look like stretched Slinkys or a row of nails to prevent birds from perching.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Yes, they're actually spike strips to the keep the birds from preferentially perching there. Their accumulated poops on the horizontal stabilizer below tends to eat through the aluminum skin.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

office view

Want to trade jobs!!! Your view looks like fun! Where is it exactly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the NMUSAF?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Yes, they're actually spike strips to the keep the birds from preferentially perching there. Their accumulated poops on the horizontal stabilizer below tends to eat through the aluminum skin.
    Haha, really? Who would have thought! I 've seen them used on buildings but I never would 've thought they are also used on aircraft...

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Yes, that is the NMUSAF in the distance of the first shot. I don't work over there, but I have been known to give a world class tour to out-of-town distinguished visitors.

In addition to the selective use of spike strips, they put wire mesh over the engine intakes to prevent nesting in the aircraft they have temporarily stored outdoors.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0