MR PI GSL Update - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MR PI GSL Update

MR's PI_Lingayen Field in GSL

I followed Captain Kurt's recipe and with some great assistance from Kdriver, placed a layout of objects as close to the originals as possible, created a layout and gob and this is the result. The process IS much easier and quicker than creating the base from scratch. Thanks for the tips, guys:

Cheers:

Greg

PS: I have also finished Del Carmen Strip. I'm going to get some sleep and post screenshots when I wake up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_E080.jpg   grab_E081.jpg   grab_E083.jpg   grab_E084.jpg  
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; July 5th, 2022 at 01:07.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

As Promised:

Del Carmen Strip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_E089.jpg   grab_E086.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Great work Shadow Wolf!

Using the method you are now you'll have the PI finished in no time, well done!

Cheers
    Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Great work Shadow Wolf!

Using the method you are now you'll have the PI finished in no time, well done!

Cheers
    Aussie
    Thank you for the complement Aussie! I Just followed Chris' guide. I am stumped on how to do a base like Iba (screenshot), where the runways and cleared areas extend into the sea. I tried moving the runway and poly it sits on ~500 ft. east and north from the original location, , attaching the original texture file to the .sca file. After recompiling the resulting .bgl, I found in an overhead view that the runway had moved, butt the ground texture had not. I'll try again but I will probably need some help with the "beach-side property" bases.

At any rate, Captain Kurt has already asked for the Leyte area and Rami wants to contribute to this project as well. Both have said they would start in earnest when they get back from vacation. It is not my project. It is a tribute to Maskrider from all of us. So far, I've only been concentrating on the Luzon bases in MRs Philippines pack #1. There are quite a few remaining and then there is pack #2 to be done. So I don't get bored, I still have about 3/5 of my Kursk VVS campaign to work on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_E090.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Hi Greg,

It looks like you have Rhumba's water masks activated. If you turn them off, Iba should be high and dry. All MR's PI airfields were made for stock coastlines.

Otherwise it looks like you're forging ahead - good work!

Cheers,
    Kevin

Hi Greg,

I'll take a look and see what I can come up with to fix it. Even if I have to take to it with a big stick I'll work something out

Cheers
    Aussie

Library Staff
    Here is Iba without Rhumba's water masks but with his earlier coast and water files installed. Those files add beaches, roads and rivers to the stock coastline.

The ground textures are Pactex2 by Otis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iba.jpg  

Yo Greg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oh_yeah_baby.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	87873

Loooking GREAT Wolfman!!!

The new pics all seem to have the right "feel" for the area. (realistic)

It does a heart good to see all of you, working together on MR's legacy.

I'm certain Chris would be pleased!

Keep up the GREAT WORK Bro(s)!!
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

I think we will need to consider repositioning the airfields that are submerged using rhumba’s mesh so the user will have a choice of using which mesh. I believe Chris would approve of that.

What do you all think about it?
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Library Staff
    Hi Kurt,

I had a look at that. It's the water masks, not the mesh, which submerge the coastal airfields. Rhumba's mesh works well with the existing airfields.

If you activate the water masks and move the airfields, you will lose the beaches, roads and rivers. It would possibly affect some of the Philippine airfields made by Talon and John Applegate as well. The GSL scenery for Manila city and port will be inundated.

There are quite a lot of missions made for the Philippines. Missions using moved airfields would have to adjusted.

Cheers,
    Kevin

I found it was easier to remove the rhumba coastlines than to move the bases - no need to use FSSC. I completed Iba Strip. Thanks for your input Captain and Kdriver. On to PI_Mariveles...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_E099.jpg   grab_E097.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I have finished the 8 bases on Luzon and Lubang Strip as a bonus. Where to next? I dunno. I want to leave some bases for the rest of the "project crew" and my Kursk campaign is calling in the distance. Perhaps I can move south to Mindanao and continue to work the Maskrider PI-Set 1 bases, avoiding those around Leyte?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PI Coord.JPG  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    MaskRider didn't make AFD BGLs for his seaplane bases. In order to access them you have to use the "advanced go to" function.

Would you like me to add those take off points to the AFD file?

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    MaskRider didn't make AFD BGLs for his seaplane bases. In order to access them you have to use the "advanced go to" function.

Would you like me to add those take off points to the AFD file?
    If you can, please do!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

For want of something to do, I did the GSL for Del Monte Strip. I'll contiueto do what I can, despite my "Rhumbs" coastlines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_E000.jpg   grab_E001.jpg   grab_E002.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    If you can, please do!
    Wilco, I'll email the amended PI_AFD.bgl. You'll probably find more APIs to replace at the seaplane bases.

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Wilco, I'll email the amended PI_AFD.bgl. You'll probably find more APIs to replace at the seaplane bases.
    Hi. Kevin:

That's great! I haven't done any seaplanes yet, but they are coming up. I finished PI_San_Jose this AM and Ubay remains of all the MR PI-1, except those left for Captain Kurt. Below are a few screenshots from Dumaguete and San Jose.

Cheers:

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_E007A.jpg   grab_E008A.jpg   grab_E009A.jpg   grab_E010A.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I completed Leyte today (1& 2). I'm going to take a break and finish up the F6F-5 so I can post it soon. Looks like Ubay, Dumaguete, and Medellin are left for No. 1 - I'll take those once I have the Hellcats finished.

BTW I know of a nice Hellcat you can fly for your update pics.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    I completed Leyte today (1& 2). I'm going to take a break and finish up the F6F-5 so I can post it soon. Looks like Ubay, Dumaguete, and Medellin are left for No. 1 - I'll take those once I have the Hellcats finished.

BTW I know of a nice Hellcat you can fly for your update pics.
    Excellent Captain Kurt! Ive already don Dumgeuete but left Ubay, Medellin, Tacloban and Dulag for you. Also the Part 2 bases remain to be done. Check the map above for both Part1 and Part 2 locations.

Yes, I downloaded your F6F and will install it once I post this. Did I read correctly, you are also working on an F6F-5 and 5N? Looking forward to the end produts.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I took some screenshots with one of Captain Kurt's new F6Fs over MR's PI Calapan Strip, which I just filled in with GSL objects:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calapan-2.jpg   Calapan-1.jpg   Calapan-3.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

..and Mamburao is completed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mamburao-1.jpg   Mamburao-2.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

So far, I've completed --

all of Leyte (1 & 2):
    Tacloban
    Dulag
    Buri
    Hinundayan

all of Samar (2):
    Catarman
    Borongan
    Guiuan

Bohol (1):
    Ubay

Visayan (1):
    Medellin
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Add Tagbilaran. That completes Bohol (1 & 2).
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Great Captain! Not much more to do... I'll do Cuyo Island next.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    I was looking at Rhumba's older water and coast files in relation to the Philippines.

The water files don't appear to do anything, although I haven't checked all the bases. CFS2wawa504088.bgl in fact creates a double coastline at Cebu. You could either remove that file or deactivate the AsiaS/Africa Water layer in the Scenery Library.

Rhumba's later water masks recommend deleting or renaming the file extensions for the default Pacific coastline BGLs to avoid conflicts. Those defaults are located in the SCENEDB\world\scenery folder and are named as "pac****p.bgl". If you've done that, you will find you have no beaches, roads and rivers in the Philippines.

I recommend moving those files into Rhumba's older Pacific Coast scenery layer folder so that they can be activated/deactivated via the Scenery Library when you're switching from watermask scenery to pre-watermask scenery or vice versa.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0