Battleships in MSFS

Thread: Battleships in MSFS

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs

Battleships in MSFS

Hi all,

I was surprised with WU X that Asobo updated the model of the USS ALABAMA (BB-60) and put it on the POI (points of interest). Why? Proof of concept or design? What does this have to do with a flying sim? Another thing is who wants to come to Alabama?

Well, I do, I live here and I'm proud and have misgivings about some facts of our state's history. That is another discussion entirely. Moving on.

I started my flight from KBFM and headed out into Mobile Bay, flew past our ports and over to where she is berthed. Look for the yellow arrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALABAMA_# 1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	87651

Name:	ALABAMA_# 2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	87652

Now that is much better!

This is how she looked in Sept. 2020, a post-apocalyptic nuclear war melt down

Name:	ALABAMA.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	87653

The point of this post is that it got me thinking about all of the other Battleships depicted in MSFS. Who says you cannot learn something from MSFS and have a blast while doing it.

Make sure you go to Assistant options and tick on the POI option.

Here is the list of the battleships that are afloat:

NEW YORK-class USS TEXAS (BB-35)[WWI ERA BATTLESHIP] SAN JACINTO,TEXAS ... search POI for San Jacinto monument unless you live in the area and know of it well.

NORTH CAROLINA-class USS NORTH CAROLINA (BB-55) WILLMINGTON,NORTH CAROLINA

SOUTH DAKOTA-class USS MASSACHUSETTS (BB-59) FALL RIVER,MASSACHUSETTS, USS ALABAMA (BB-60) MOBILE,ALABAMA

IOWA-class USS IOWA (BB-61) PORT OF LOS ANGELES,CALIFORNIA, USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) CAMDEN,NEW JERSEY, USS MISSOURI (BB-63) PEARL HARBOR,HAWAII, USS WISCONSIN (BB-64) NORFOLK, VIRGINIA

I hope I got those correct.

I just started using MSFS default flight planning map and went to those cities and started searching the harbors by zooming down to cities as close as I could get and scrolling around. I would then click on the map to create a custom point of navigation and fly from there.

Those of you not familiar with US cities here is a list of local airports you can fly out of.

BB-35 SAN JACINTO search in POI
    BB-55 Wilmington KILM
    BB-59 Massachusetts KEWB totally sunken no 3D model at all, I'll interrupt here with screenshots from the flight planning map and an in game screenshot. Sorry for the overexposure HDR10 is turned on.

Name:	USS MASSACHUSETTS_2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	87654

Name:	USS MASSACHUSETTS.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	87655

BB-60 Mobile, Alabama, KBFM
    BB-61 Port of Los Angeles,California KTOA rwy11R or 11L ....... KLGB rwy 26R or 26L then turn left ........ KSLI 22R or 22L turn right about 240*
    BB-62 Camden,New Jersy across from KPHL turn left and go upriver towards downtown Philly(Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) past 1st. bridge but do not pass 2nd bridge
    BB-63 NPS Ford Island NALF totally sunken no 3D model at all
    BB-64 Norfolk KORF rwy 23 turn right hidden very well( this one is going to take you all day to find)

You can find all of the Battleships in MSFS. All of them have 3d models in various states of deterioration. The BB-59 Massachusetts and BB-63 Missouri have no 3d model.

Anyways, some fun facts about Mobile Bay:

1. not counting low and high tides the average depth Mobile Bay is just 3 meters with the shipping channels up to 24 meters( assuming dredging of channels is maintained)

2. "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" supposedly uttered by Rear Admiral David G. Farragut of the Union fleet on August 5, 1864 during the Battle of Mobile Bay.
    Fort Morgan is on the Eastern shore at the entrance into Mobile Bay, look for it. It is built in the typical 5-point star layout of Civil War coastal forts.

3. Fatalities and losses: Union forces: 1 ironclad, 151 KIA, 177 wounded. Confederate forces: 1 ironclad, 2 gunboats, 13KIA, 22 wounded. When Fort Morgan surrendered 1,500 men captured

Closing out the post, here's a picture of my older brother on the USS Alabama around 1965-1966. My twin brother and I were there also but I've lost those photos. We were prolly about 7yo.

Name:	alabama_66_2 (4).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	87656
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alabama_66.jpg  

I haven't tried to find it yet, but I'm glad the North Carolina got some love. I've toured her a couple of times.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I haven't tried to find it yet, but I'm glad the North Carolina got some love. I've toured her a couple of times.
    Tom,If you have not downloaded her from the Warbirds Library yet, my Scenery addition of the USS North Carolina (BB 55) moored at Wilmington is up. I plan on Google scoping all the others except BB 60, USS Alabama. I know that BB 59, USS Massachusetts, is flat in Google Earth Pro, but 3D online. I am going to use either the North Carolina or Alabama textures (if I can find the Alabama textures, I do have North Carolina's textures). But any listed here that I can do, I shall eventually do. The only problem one runs into is that the flat Bing and Google Images are of the deck, where as when one does a 3D model, the keel is small and the larger flat deck texture is slightly shown. If one tries to scale the boat to fill it ion, the boat is too big for its mooring and not to scale with the Earth image. Cazziehttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/132288-USS-North-Carolina-battleship

Did someone say Battleships?!

I'm sure this will be seen as anathema to a 'flight sim' but as an avid simmer of all sorts, and especially one who loves the sea [first served in USN before switching to, and retiring from, USAF), I have found great delight in bringing ships over from older games into MSFS for my own enjoyment of the amazing visual the game offers.

My current project is bringing Dave Carroll's elegant set of the final battleship designs in the United States into the game. I still have some bugs to work through (as I'm not very knowledgeable about the many nuances of the updated SDK and flight physics) but I'm pleased to get them first in the game and then work on sailing them.

Anyway, here's a few shots of BB-61 USS Iowa, as she appeared in her final days following the 1984 refit.

Cheers.

KevinB

jk9657 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Tom,If you have not downloaded her from the Warbirds Library yet, my Scenery addition of the USS North Carolina (BB 55) moored at Wilmington is up.
    It's already in my Community folder!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I have the downtown Wilmington scenery loaded, the Battleship looks very good. Far better than the stock scenery where it was underwater.

Name:	Screenshot (8311).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	404.7 KB 
ID:	90310

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scharnhorst ?

I was thinking of Prinz Eugen.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

My first thought was BELFAST but not really a battleship, I suppose.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I have the downtown Wilmington scenery loaded, the Battleship looks very good. Far better than the stock scenery where it was underwater.
    Thanks Storm. I wish there had been na way to remove the flat image of the deck , et al, that's due to whichever map one uses, the Bing or Google Maps both have it. The reason being is because said flat image still appears under my 3-D model due to the deck being larger than the keel, which is at waterline. I got the Hawaii Islands - Vessels package, but cannot find the textures for the USS Missouri, which is included in said package from ORBX? Jankees, where did you get that screenshot?

Cazzie

SOH-CM-2024
    [QUOTE=Bookman1960;1310702]Did someone say Battleships?!

I'm sure this will be seen as anathema to a 'flight sim' but as an avid simmer of all sorts, and especially one who loves the sea [first served in USN before switching to, and retiring from, USAF), I have found great delight in bringing ships over from older games into MSFS for my own enjoyment of the amazing visual the game offers.

My current project is bringing Dave Carroll's elegant set of the final battleship designs in the United States into the game. I still have some bugs to work through (as I'm not very knowledgeable about the many nuances of the updated SDK and flight physics) but I'm pleased to get them first in the game and then work on sailing them.

Anyway, here's a few shots of BB-61 USS Iowa, as she appeared in her final days following the 1984 refit.

Cheers.

KevinB

/QUOTE]

Amazing, cannot wait. I have places for every one, make sure the textures can be had to place them in their respective museums today, those that are in museums.

Cazzie

I remember reading that Asobo/Microsoft wouldn't allow aircraft in the Marketplace that had weapons attached, yet here we are with a battleship and all it's many guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    Scharnhorst ?
    Scharnhorst indeed. I never got it to sail, but it looked nice, hiding in fjords in screenshots I think

jk9654 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk9660 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Beautiful detail for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0