Local Legends #5 Available Now - Beechcraft Model 18
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Local Legends #5 Available Now - Beechcraft Model 18

Local Legends #5 Available Now - Beechcraft Model 18

Nice, Carenado?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

The marketplace description says it's Carenado.

Some initial observations:

- The 3d and 2d visuals are absolutely top-of-the-line stunning (as usual from Carenado).
    - The flight model seems quite believable.
    - In drone mode, you can open the rear entry/exit door as well as unfold the tables in the passenger cabin.
    - The sound of the engines, inside and out, sound little to nothing at all like a real Beech 18, especially with power on (the only aspect that I've found disappointing).
    - There is a three-way left engine/center off/right engine selector switch for controlling the start procedure. When loading the aircraft into the sim cold & dark on the ramp, that switch is pointed in the left engine position, even though functionally it is not. So when you go to manually-start the engines, you have to center the switch first and then put it back to either the left or right engine selection.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Some initial observations:- The 3d and 2d visuals are absolutely top-of-the-line stunning (as usual from Carenado).- The flight model seems quite believable.- In drone mode, you can open the rear entry/exit door as well as unfold the tables in the passenger cabin.- The sound of the engines, inside and out, sound little to nothing at all like a real Beech 18, especially with power on (the only aspect that I've found disappointing).- There is a three-way left engine/center off/right engine selector switch for controlling the start procedure. When loading the aircraft into the sim cold & dark on the ramp, that switch is pointed in the left engine position, even though functionally it is not. So when you go to manually-start the engines, you have to center the switch first and then put it back to either the left or right engine selection.
    Been wanting this, but the Halo dropshop is so compelling, nothing else can compare. LOL
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Some initial observations:

- The 3d and 2d visuals are absolutely top-of-the-line stunning (as usual from Carenado).
    - The flight model seems quite believable.
    - In drone mode, you can open the rear entry/exit door as well as unfold the tables in the passenger cabin.
    - The sound of the engines, inside and out, sound little to nothing at all like a real Beech 18, especially with power on (the only aspect that I've found disappointing).
    - There is a three-way left engine/center off/right engine selector switch for controlling the start procedure. When loading the aircraft into the sim cold & dark on the ramp, that switch is pointed in the left engine position, even though functionally it is not. So when you go to manually-start the engines, you have to center the switch first and then put it back to either the left or right engine selection.
    John-----can you do something with the sound?
    Mike

Seems a little too twitchy for a beech 18 to me. Going to experiment with some of the input curves today to see if that helps.

LouP

Loaded up & now scratching my head over the GPS/AP set up.
    Can't find any documentation.
    Can't find where to turn the AP ON. [ or is it that Autopilot Roll/Hold rocker switch hidden behind the Pilot's yoke? Currently my switch won't move.]
    T43

Oh gawd the sound is horrible. It appears and disappears randomly for me. Oh wait..is that the DC-6 idle bleeding through...never mind it just disappeared, but yes it was. If we could alias the sound to those engines, it would be more convincing. I don't like how you are not given an option where to place the downloads from the marketplace and once they're in the official folder, can't move, copy or paste. Some permissions roadblock thingy. I wish I was able to move some airports and aircraft out of the Official and over to my Addons folder so I get to choose what to load at startup.

I have no pilot for some reason, maybe it has something to do with my repaints, but how?
    d18-03 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

d18-07 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    Oh gawd the sound is horrible. It appears and disappears randomly for me. Oh wait..is that the DC-6 idle bleeding through...never mind it just disappeared, but yes it was. If we could alias the sound to those engines, it would be more convincing. I don't like how you are not given an option where to place the downloads from the marketplace and once they're in the official folder, can't move, copy or paste. Some permissions roadblock thingy. I wish I was able to move some airports and aircraft out of the Official and over to my Addons folder so I get to choose what to load at startup.
    I recall for the FSX version, I aliased the radials from Milton's DC3.

A real Beech 18 sort of sounds like you're sandwiched between two BT-13's, and the buzz from the props spinning at full RPM is incredibly loud.

This is what a Beech 18 actually sounds like, inside and out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qSzCnzXvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vphgvw1ns1U

With regard to the pilot figure - the first time I loaded the aircraft, it was cold & dark on the ramp and no matter what I did the pilot figure never showed up. Reloading the aircraft from the runway, with the engines already running, the pilot figure did display. After restarting the sim, the pilot figure has loaded every time since.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 15th, 2022 at 12:47.

For anyone interested, if you want to replace the soundset, do as follows:

1. Locate the folder titled "microsoft-aircraft-d18s" found in the MSFS\Official\OneStore folder location.
    2. Open the "microsoft-aircraft-d18s" folder and continue navigating through the "SimObjects" folder, the "Airplanes" folder, and then the "MSCarenado_D18S" folder.
    3. Within the "MSCarenado_D18S" folder, rename the "Sound" folder to something like "SoundBak", so that you can easily return to using the original sound pack in the future, if desired.
    4. Copy and paste the Sound folder with files of your choosing into the "MSCarenado_D18S". I have chosen, for now, to use the Gary Jones sound pack included with Milton Schupe's Beech AT-11 and Model 18: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...E-quot-Version
    5. Using one of the free .JSON generator tools, create a new .JSON file for the "microsoft-aircraft-d18s" folder.

I am now using the Gary Jones Beech 18/AT-11 sound pack as I've linked to, and it sounds quite good. Of course it lacks the atmospheric sounds of the switches/levers/open windows/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    Loaded up & now scratching my head over the GPS/AP set up.
    Can't find any documentation.
    Can't find where to turn the AP ON. [ or is it that Autopilot Roll/Hold rocker switch hidden behind the Pilot's yoke? Currently my switch won't move.]
    T43
    After a reload I found the AP On/Off works & is the far left rocker switch in the set behind the Pilot's Yoke.
    The D18 will also follow NAV & can do an ILS.
    To follow NAV you need to have the AP ON & the GNS 530 showing GPS above the CDI button, plus turn the AP Mode dial [tucked behind the Mixture levers, to NAV] [Do that last, if you do it out of sequence it won't take.] Set the ALT rocker at the Altitude you want to hold.

To do an ILS off an AP approach you need to have The Nav1 button pushed On in the set above the GNS 530, & Nav 1 tuned to the ILS frequ. for your approach Rwy.
    When you enter the approach feathers, turn the AP Mode dial to LOC NORM, click the GNS 530 CDI button to get VLOC in green above the button.
    If you have it set correctly & engage the Glideslope, a GS Test Button will grow green as you descend. It is located above the speedo.
    I found when I went to take over from the AP during the final stages of the ILS landing that pushing the Z key doesn't cancel the AP.

With a bit more rasp & grunt in the engine sounds, for the price the D18 is a bargain.
    T43

Of course it lacks the atmospheric sounds of the switches/levers/open windows/etc.
    I wonder if Wing42's 247d sound package would translate well, if at all. I know there are some issues swapping out packages made in Wwise due to developers using different simvars for different things, but I think you can change that in the .xml file? Well, not if it's from the Marketplace I guess. I'd be so much less hesitant to buy on the Marketplace if they left files like that unencrypted. Still could be worth trying anyways, I'd do it but a Beech 18 with bad audio is a hard pass for me so I haven't bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    I wonder if Wing42's 247d sound package would translate well, if at all. I know there are some issues swapping out packages made in Wwise due to developers using different simvars for different things, but I think you can change that in the .xml file? Well, not if it's from the Marketplace I guess. I'd be so much less hesitant to buy on the Marketplace if they left files like that unencrypted. Still could be worth trying anyways, I'd do it but a Beech 18 with bad audio is a hard pass for me so I haven't bought it.
    I shot over to the 247D to compare the sound and that one is also just as poor. The raidials are not in sync and the audio sounds aliased at various throttle settings and visual angles. Waiting for an update on that one which I do not belive has ever come.

Not a E or a G but it's an 18!!!!! All I need now is an AZtec and a 500 Commander and I'll be happy. (for a while!) I do not have and cannot make the pilot appear.

Don BP

EDIT - I agree with the sounds - furthest thing from a Beech 18, inside and out. I see some fixes here. Hope there are a few more or a drop in package for them. Handling needs some tweaks too.
    Last edited by Bushpounder; June 15th, 2022 at 19:04.

A real Beech 18 sort of sounds like you're sandwiched between two BT-13's, and the buzz from the props spinning at full RPM is incredibly loud.

This is what a Beech 18 actually sounds like, inside and out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qSzCnzXvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vphgvw1ns1U

With regard to the pilot figure - the first time I loaded the aircraft, it was cold & dark on the ramp and no matter what I did the pilot figure never showed up. Reloading the aircraft from the runway, with the engines already running, the pilot figure did display. After restarting the sim, the pilot figure has loaded every time since.
    That's my hometown airshow! I'm there with my son. Matt has some real skills man...his night show is pretty spectacular too.

Is there a variant with the old gauges like in the bigradials goose?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I shot over to the 247D to compare the sound and that one is also just as poor. The raidials are not in sync and the audio sounds aliased at various throttle settings and visual angles. Waiting for an update on that one which I do not belive has ever come.
    Well, that's a shame, I remember it having issues but I could have sworn they addressed them. Though, now that I'm giving it some thought that may have been the AH Electra.

You would think that after 2 years of working with Wwise and working closely with Asobo that a developer like Carenado would be able to deliver a half decent soundpack...

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Well, that's a shame, I remember it having issues but I could have sworn they addressed them. Though, now that I'm giving it some thought that may have been the AH Electra.

You would think that after 2 years of working with Wwise and working closely with Asobo that a developer like Carenado would be able to deliver a half decent soundpack...
    It really starts with getting quality audio recorded from the real plane, and having an audio engineer fluent in gaming audio production to produce the samples. If there is no budget for that service, bits and pieces from other planes is unfortunately the only option. I'd say audio production for MSFS is still in it's infancy, there is so much to learn about Wwise, we will get there eventually.

Don't wanna toot our own horn (to stay on topic) but personally i never loved a radial engine soundsuite as much as Tufun created for our freeware C-47 in FSX/P3D. He 'just' used his 110% enthusiasm, dedication and skill and YT. No fancy equipment at all. He did keep on tweaking and perfecting the files for some time. No clue how much more of a challenge it is to create a decent soundsuite for MSFS. I do hear the dreaded flanging/phasing effect in engine soundsuits for quite a few MSFS aircraft (caused by using the exact same wav file for 2 or more engines). So when it comes to that nothing much has changed.

Did not get the Model 18 yet but playing the various vids en comparing the soundsuite with vids of the real aeroplane i think i have heard way worse soundsuites in MSFS...

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    It really starts with getting quality audio recorded from the real plane, and having an audio engineer fluent in gaming audio production to produce the samples. If there is no budget for that service, bits and pieces from other planes is unfortunately the only option. I'd say audio production for MSFS is still in it's infancy, there is so much to learn about Wwise, we will get there eventually.
    Sure, I see what you mean. It's disappointing as some Famous Flyers/Local Legends have real recordings and 3d scanned models while others don't and the discrepancy in quality is quite jarring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

i think i have heard way worse soundsuites in MSFS...
    You can say that again. Anyone remember what the Cri Cri sounded like when it first came out?

WARNING: Loud and obnoxious audio, listen at your own risk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQaTr71Zbu8

The sound set really isn't bad at all, it just doesn't fully capture the sound of a Beech 18 when at full power (lacking bass, volume, and the buzz of the prop tips going super sonic at full RPM). After having tried a couple FSX sound sets, I have reverted back to the original product sound set, and I quite like it, especially the idle and low power sounds, as well as all of the atmospheric and immersive sounds that add so greatly to the experience.

Members who have read this thread: 1