Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Announcement

Thread: Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Announcement

Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Announcement

Gliders, helicopters, DC3, Beaver and more coming this November.

Full details here

Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition: coming FREE to all existing MSFS players in November 2022, this update will include helicopters and gliders, two aircraft types that have been long-requested by the community. Additionally, several fan-favorite planes are making their return from Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight. These planes include the Douglas DC-3, the Ryan NYP ("Spirit of St. Louis), the Wright Flyer, de Havilland Canada Beaver, and Airbus A310.

Halo Pelican: in partnership with 343 Studios and available NOW as a free download from the Marketplace, Microsoft Flight Simulator pilots can now fly the iconic dropship from the Halo franchise.
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06/...h-anniversary/

And here about the IniBuild Airbus 310: https://forum.inibuilds.com/topic/51...ght-simulator/

Wonder is the DC-3 the one from Aeroplane Heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    And here about the IniBuild Airbus 310: https://forum.inibuilds.com/topic/51...ght-simulator/

Wonder is the DC-3 the one from Aeroplane Heaven?
    It says in the announcement that one of the collaborators for this is Aeroplane Heaven so I guess yes it is, Milviz are on the list too so its probably their Beaver.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Fingers crossed Asobo does the sound packs and 3d scans for these aircraft, but I won't get my hopes up..

The iniBuilds A310-300 is quite a freebie, I must say. The DHC2 is very welcome too. How generous of Asobo and M'soft.

I wonder who is making the Bell and Robinson helo's featured...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

It's a Guimbal not a Robbie... wonder if the 407 is from Milviz?

Wait, does that mean we now have a Halo drop ship in flight sim? I'm all over that! Update: Now that I've flown it, meh. It just uses a simple helo flight model. I would have preferred something more like the flight model for Dino's F-35B. If somebody comes out with a helo trim command I might enjoy it more, but a joystick designed to maintain center isn't great for flying a helo.
    Last edited by Sundog; June 12th, 2022 at 14:27.

Yes, the Halo Pelican is now available for free from the MSFS Marketplace.

Interesting thing about the Halo Infinite tie-in...my son works for 343 Studios. He never said a thing to me about the Pelican coming to MSFS. I'll have to have a discussion with him about that .
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

The Pelican thing flys poorly once you find the switch between drone mode and flight mode. Nothing much else seems to function. Totally lacking in animations, no fun at all. I could only get 2 of the 4 engines to shut down. I get that it's free. Need a Pro version of MSFS. Oh that must be XPlane. ;-)
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    The Pelican thing flys poorly once you find the switch between drone mode and flight mode. Nothing much else seems to function. Totally lacking in animations, no fun at all. I could only get 2 of the 4 engines to shut down. I get that it's free. Need a Pro version of MSFS. Oh that must be XPlane. ;-)
    So there is a flight mode! Thanks, I didn't find it. I'll have to check for a manual later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    So there is a flight mode! Thanks, I didn't find it. I'll have to check for a manual later.
    If there is a manual. Not found yet.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    Milviz are on the list too so its probably their Beaver.
    Better be, I can't imagine Milviz's position otherwise (see this thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t-of-St-Louis))

Could be their 407 too, or instead...

Some more information from today's Extended Showcase

Jorg visits the Smithsonian

- "millimeter perfect" 3d scan of the Spirit of St. Louis
    - Smithsonian Air and Space Museum POI
    - Smithsonian Director "we're hoping that if everyone has as much fun in the community with the content that we initially collaborated on.... maybe we can jump in with both feet and do more in the years to come. Maybe even, who knows, we'll go crazy, we'll get the Space Shuttle in there"
    - World Update 10 coming today, United States revisited.
    - a dozen new cities (I am assuming he means in photogrammetry)
    - new height field
    - new aerial imagery
    - Famous Flyer launching alongside it, Beech 18

Sorry for the poor formatting, the WYSIWYG editor isn't working for me

What´s the point of this so called Pelican? how do you control/fly it? no need for a vehicle like this. No fun at all, useless. Just like advertising the maverick movie. Arcade

Some people question including military planes in MSFS, because it's a civilian sim.

Some people question including historic planes that aren't flying anymore, because it's a sim of the modern world.

Some people question including a Pelican, because the idea of a futuristic VTOL fantasy craft isn't to their tastes.

Some people question including Airbuses, because If It Ain't Boeing, I'm not going.

Some people question including Reno Air Races, because they don't even realize air racing is a real thing. (This one blew my mind.)

TL;DR: People are interested in different things, and have different priorities, and even some of us who do enjoy doing a real IFR flight using real procedures also enjoy jumping in a fantasy hypersonic plane and visiting the stratosphere at Mach 10. A sim that can make all of those people happy to some degree is a good thing, not a problem. Microsoft helping keep some third-party developer's doors open by tossing them some money to build a fantasy plane doesn't affect Asobo's work on core sim features at all. (And it helps open up new flight envelopes for, say, a future realistic X-15.)

If you don't like it, don't fly it. :-) As a die-hard aviation fan who grew up on Star Trek, I'm absolutely delighted that I'll be able to fly a DC-3, a Beaver, an F-15D, and a Pelican, all over an incredible recreation of an entire populated planet.

The purpose of vehicles like this (Pelican, Dark Star) is to show what MSFS is capable of creating. I love this stuff. It's one of the reasons I like simulators so much; you can fly what isn't real. I don't need to pretend everything is super real. If I want that I'll just go actual get my pilot's license. Not everyone needs to like what I like or what anyone else likes. I don't buy the tube liner releases because it isn't what I'm into. And that's perfectly alright. I'm glad someone is making them for those who like them and that Asobo is releasing more. I hope there is a huge choice of vehicles to fly of any kind to draw in as many people to the platform as possible. The more the merrier, IMHO. I want this to be a wildly huge success, so that everything keeps getting better and better. Just enjoy what you enjoy. I do.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    @ DennyA & Sundog:ditto + some more.

I want our franchise of the flight sim community to survive.

I read Jorg Neumman's response to questions about the 40th. Anniversary release coming in November, and I was really amazed at his responses!

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...h-anniversary/ (posted an hour ago)

I want to buy from the MSFS Marketplace because I want this to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Could be their 407 too, or instead...
    Just to correct my own post, the Beaver is Milviz but the 407 Nemeth (thought they were defunct as a developer?)

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Some people question including military planes in MSFS, because it's a civilian sim.

If you don't like it, don't fly it. :-) As a die-hard aviation fan who grew up on Star Trek, I'm absolutely delighted that I'll be able to fly a DC-3, a Beaver, an F-15D, and a Pelican, all over an incredible recreation of an entire populated planet.
    Agreed. But all the same...need a manual or a hint to teach people how to fly it. This way trying right/wrong, no joy. Useless to me and I speak only for myself gf course...
    regards

- More helicopters planned, of course
    - Seb and the other developer coding the flight model were visiting Guimbal at the time of recording meeting with test pilots
    - Guimbal wants to ensure the helicopters are done "right"
    - 10 or so helipads coming in November, researchers on the team are currently looking for a global database of helipads. If you can help, get in contact with Jorg
    - landing on moving platforms; discussions happening, work has not started yet
    - looking at adding "all of the oil rigs in the world", "we're going to do it, there's no question. it's just time"
    - historical helicopters, nothing planned but Jorg is open to it
    - "looking into" sling loading
    - in regards to the "10 year life cycle", "we aren't just leaving once the ten years is up", development will continue as long as its profitible
    - "right this moment, I think we have 4 times the audience then when we launched" (To put that into perspective, here is an image that the team shared 1 month after release in 2020 https://i0.wp.com/news.xbox.com/en-u...nal_HERO-1.jpg)

Members who have read this thread: 0