Scenery Model Tools and Guides

Thread: Scenery Model Tools and Guides

SOH-CM-2020

Scenery Model Tools and Guides

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 3 Other Add-Ons - Scenery

Description: A variety of tools, models for people trying to come to grips with making .sm scenery models for CFS3.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Scenery Model Tools and Guides
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

SOH-CM-2020
    thanks, Daniel. I really hope that someone can make use of the tools. Would be great for soomeone to produce buildings a bit like Airfighter55 single-handedly provided a swathe of vehicles for the CFS3 community.

However, given the tedium of making new lsos, one cunning plan would be to make new buildings and use the same names as the stock sm models, providing an upgrade without having to get bogged down in RGN, lso files etc.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon4 Buildings and such

Making buildings is a tedius job, while not as encompassing as making vehicles you need to make three versions - normal, damaged, rubble. In each an LOD to save frame rates. For each damage a texture that shows degrees of damage. You can make a series of boxes with roofs etc for houses and buildings I guess, map and texture them. But I am afraid that higher resolution textures (larger sizes) may kill frames rates. You could experiment by increasing the current size of the texture files and see what happens. I know there is a way to increase the size and preserve the mapping, just never did it. I think James has done it for AI vs piloted planes. Have the WOFF folks worked on this, could sneak a peak at their texture maps for buildings and take a look see.

I think the auto-generated scenery is not destroyable so that's at least one less step.

of course one could make a destroyable version to place around target areas.

I am curious about auto generated scenery damage. It is calculated, at least in a basic way. If you drop a very large bomb on a forest or city, and you will see trees and houses disappear. I wonder if the sm model did have a damage model if it would display instead of the whole thing disappearing.

Exactly my thoughts when reading the above posts; was this by design of did the devs simply omit damage models and associated files for the autogen models to keep things lean and clean?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

figures, I only tried hitting them with 4 cannon without result

Members who have read this thread: 1