New Landclasses.xml - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Landclasses.xml

Clive,

I like where you're going. When I tried your landclass file the building density immediately crashed my system if I tried to fly over a very large city like Paris or London. I have to use higher DIM values to get it to run. Even then I'm seeing some persistent stuttering if I'm at low altitude.

I tried reducing the tree texture file back to 2048x2048, and it helped some. (see attached)

a_largecitytrees01.zip
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Getting back to this. having looked at recent close ups over towns or cities, how do the number of houses effect frame rates? Are the individual houses as simple as they can be without effecting the outside appearance? Given that most European cities and towns have close terrace rows of houses, what we see in CFS3 looks weird.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Getting back to this. having looked at recent close ups over towns or cities, how do the number of houses effect frame rates? Are the individual houses as simple as they can be without effecting the outside appearance? Given that most European cities and towns have close terrace rows of houses, what we see in CFS3 looks weird.
    Hi James, I wonder if you experiment with the scenery density and LOD settings in the scenerybudgets file, this might have an appreciable effect? My 8 year old computer is rapidly brought to its knees with increases in scenery density.

SOH-CM-2020
    Update on 034 scenery tiles. I had hoped that the _fields.dds texture would be amenable to editing, but the 034 prefixed tiles don't seem to have very much at all in the way of fields to improve. Possibly the only improvement available is to darken the roads, as Clive has done with the 031 prefixed tiles.

Doesn't the alpha layer of Fields control where the houses are excluded for parks and such?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Doesn't the alpha layer of Fields control where the houses are excluded for parks and such?
    Yes, but it seems to me that the 034 fields tile is densely populated with very few parks and open areas to sharpen up? I will take a closer look at the alpha layer. On a casual observation basis, the 031 Fields tile seems to have more green on it, so more amenable to sharpening up.

SOH-CM-2020

City Streets package by MAX_devil

Wowee. I've just had a rootle around in my backups, and found a package by MAX_devil, a City Streets package with the roads redrawn and tiles sharpened up. Dated 12 August 2004. The tiles are fairly modest in size, only increased to 683kb each.

I will install in my stock testbed install and see what's what. At first blush it looks like roads, fields and trees tiles are all sharpened up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Wowee. I've just had a rootle around in my backups, and found a package by MAX_devil, a City Streets package with the roads redrawn and tiles sharpened up. Dated 12 August 2004. The tiles are fairly modest in size, only increased to 683kb each.

I will install in my stock testbed install and see what's what. At first blush it looks like roads, fields and trees tiles are all sharpened up a bit.
    How did that go?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    How did that go?
    Hi James, I've been steadily trying different textures and combinations for the past few months. I'm pretty happy where I am at the moment, as far as making the best of existing texture options. I have been using a blended landclasses.xml, with grassland and fields using Johno_UK's V3 scenery, and all the urban and periurban textures and lsos and mos files being stock. You will find it when I release Modified Stock Upgrade V3. That's a bit iffy at the moment because of health issues.

What is needed is new base textures for urban area which follow the pattern of the existing lso files, but much sharper. I've played around with a couple of road textures but the results are poor - I get a grey smeary road pattern its hard to get it sharp and I've been working with a texture file of about 1Mb so you'd think it would be possible to get a sharp fine road pattern. It's harder than it looks!

Well, looking after yourself is #1 priority!

Members who have read this thread: 5