Top Gun Update is out - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Gun Update is out

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    jmig, if you have a Dolby or IMAX auditorium, I'd highly suggest catching this one on the big screen! No matter how good your home system is, the production on the movie is awesome and it's so cool to have rumbling audio and F/A-18s filling your view...
    I'm waiting for the movie to come out in VHS before seeing it. Give it that 80's look and feel. But I have been told that Beta is better.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Decending 70K at Mack 5. Have to admit this rocket is the best part of the TG DCS. Now I'm off to watch the movie "Hot Shots".
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post

(maybe I have to exit the sim. & restart)

.... anyways fella's, thanks for everyone's input. I'll get the hang of it eventually and not overstress the airframe in that inverted dive.
    You do have to restart the sim for it to take effect, if I remember correctly (I went through the same thing when Reno and the F-18 were released).

As far as not over-stressing the aircraft goes, I found it much easier to practice in free flight with crash damage turned off and just keeping my eye on the amount of G's I'm pulling to get a better feel for what kind of input is required. I failed during the inverted dive 3 or 4 times in the mission, did some practice with crash detection off and found that I had to use a very light touch while pitching up into the climb after the dive, it was very easy to over-stress at that point.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    ... while pitching up into the climb after the dive, it was very easy to over-stress at that point.
    That is exactly where I "crack up". I'll keep at it, thanks.

Oh, all of my flights are in free flight mode. I have not taken on but only 1 or 2 of all the challenges, bush trips, discover flights etc. Heck, I have not done the Reno races yet!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    I'm waiting for the movie to come out in VHS before seeing it. Give it that 80's look and feel. But I have been told that Beta is better.
    I saw the movie yesterday. It is well worth going see. I thought it was better than the first TopGun movie. I listened to a discussion of the movie on Fighter Pilot Podcast, while exercising. There was a panel discussion on the movie by five former TopGun IPs. Every one of them gave the movie a 9 or 10 out of 10 rating. The only negativity mentioned by any of the former F/A-18 pilots was, "Remember it is a movie not a documentary." One said that he personally has done every maneuver in a F/A-18 that is done in the movie.

Besides the flying scenes, it actually has a story line and a plot. The drama between some of the characters is very realistic and well done. My wife even liked it. Of course, this is Tom Cruise.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Of course, this is Tom Cruise.
    This is the same reason so many women suddenly because comic book fans when the Aquaman movie was released!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I think I know what I was doing wrong.

To paraphrase Carl from "Sling Blade", ".... does it have any gas in it?"

How can you get anywhere without filling it up? I was always topping off the tanks with the beginning of each flight. I now start with the default amount of 50%. I've made 3 hypersonic flights yesterday and today. Thank goodness those air to air refueling boys can keep up with me... (cheat).

I also like the effort they put in to simulating the external plasma discharge outside the window. I spotted it while making a turn to keep on track with my GPS magenta line (look through the upward facing window). I'm just wondering what color it is supposed to be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DarkStar_EGXC_4.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	87496

- Don

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    jmig, if you have a Dolby or IMAX auditorium, I'd highly suggest catching this one on the big screen! No matter how good your home system is, the production on the movie is awesome and it's so cool to have rumbling audio and F/A-18s filling your view...
    Exactly what movie are you guys talking about ?.....

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Exactly what movie are you guys talking about ?.....

Thanks!
    TopGun Maverick The new TopGun movie.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

TopGun Maverick The new TopGun movie.
    Ahh! Ok!

And i see even with good ol' Tom at the controls, unlike Captain Kilmer (must've had other things to do..)

Will it be on any streaming services, you think ?

Just saw Tom Hanks' 'Greyhound' on AppleTV. I was mainly interested in the CGI which turned out unbelievable ! (each shot only 3 seconds or so, they need to work on that...;-) There is no commonality between the CGI sea scenes and what's going on on the bridge of the ship. They need to work on that too. (build the whole bridge on a movable platform like they did with "Das Boot" ). Seeing the CGI sea sequenes on a huge movietheater screen would be awesome but that's not going to happen so it seems.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Ahh! Ok!

And i see even with good ol' Tom at the controls, unlike Captain Kilmer (must've had other things to do..)

1. Will it be on any streaming services, you think ?

Just saw Tom Hanks' 'Greyhound' on AppleTV. 2. I was mainly interested in the CGI which turned out unbelievable ! (each shot only 3 seconds or so, they need to work on that...;-) There is no commonality between the CGI sea scenes and what's going on on the bridge of the ship. They need to work on that too. (build the whole bridge on a movable platform like they did with "Das Boot" ). Seeing the CGI sea sequenes on a huge movietheater screen would be awesome but that's not going to happen so it seems.

Thanks!
    1. Not for a while. It is making fist full of money on the silver screen.

2. Then you will like this movie, although, you will not know they are CGI. SPOILER ALERT There are flying sceens of a F-14. That was actually a F-18 that CGI turned into a F-14.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Iceman is in it - he's an admiral.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

1. Not for a while. It is making fist full of money on the silver screen.
    No doubt!

2. Then you will like this movie, although, you will not know they are CGI. SPOILER ALERT There are flying sceens of a F-14. That was actually a F-18 that CGI turned into a F-14.
    Link please

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Iceman is in it - he's an admiral.
    Yes, saw that but unlike TC, who looks to be the best client of his own workout facility, Mr.K seems to have been practising hard to fly a desk instead of an F-14.. The ice sorta melted on him, he turned into the Puddleman now..

To go supersonic, I do it like real life, I just use a shallow dive from about 33K ft to punch through mach unity and then pull up. I know the training flight doesn't allow that. I now need to figure out how to add autopilot to it. IRL, you wouldn't hand fly it at Mach 9 and I'm tired having to use pitch trim to fly it at MACH 9.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    To go supersonic, I do it like real life, I just use a shallow dive from about 33K ft to punch through mach unity and then pull up. I know the training flight doesn't allow that. I now need to figure out how to add autopilot to it. IRL, you wouldn't hand fly it at Mach 9 and I'm tired having to use pitch trim to fly it at MACH 9.
    If you figure it out, please let us know. I agree. This bird would have an autopilot in real life.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Blog Entries
    Link please
    No can do, G.I. The above mentioned scenes are in the movie, not the trailers. Although, I am sure you can find the movie on at Torrent site by now.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

This one is a very nice real life documentary. The story of a young girl and a young guy who were inspired by the first Top Gun movie and realized their dream to fly Tomcats for the Navy even during the cat’s last action in Iraq:

Speed & Angels:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1112756/

Today is the day to try the F/A-18E
    How can the baseball cap pilot be change?
    Nose wheel, which button assignment steering?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

To change the pilot figure, go to the MSFS "OPTIONS" window and select "GENERAL OPTIONS", and then select the "MISC" menu. If you set the pilot figure to "DEFAULT", it will place a modern fighter pilot dressed figure in the cockpit. You also have to have it set to DEFAULT in order to have the pilot displayed with Maverick's helmet when using the Top Gun movie paint scheme. Alternatively, no matter which aircraft you are flying, you can also now select a modern fighter pilot figure (male/female), as shown below.

For nose wheel steering in the F/A-18, there is a key assignment called "SET NOSE WHEEL STEERING TO LIMIT" (easy to find by just using the search function) and I have it assigned to a pinky switch on my CH Fighterstick. I don't know if it is required, but I also have my rudder pedals assigned to the "NOSE WHEEL STEERING AXIS" assignment, in addition to the regular rudder pedal axis assignments.

You don't have to have the nose wheel steering axis assigned, I don't think. I want to say that's for tillers in airliners (for the default planes anyways) but I don't have mine mapped for the F-18.

I would add that you should set a keybind for SET G LIMITER so you can toggle NWS off before takeoff.

1. Bind “SET NOSE WHEEL STEERING TO LIMIT” in your control options

2. Bind “SET G LIMITER” in your control options

3. When ready to taxi, press the “SET NOSE WHEEL STEERING TO LIMIT” button that you just assigned. You should see “NWS” in the center right of your HUD. This button is a toggle, it toggles between “NWS”, regular Nose Wheel Steering, and “NWS HI”, Nose Wheel Steering High which allows your nose wheel to turn to a higher degree.

4. When you are lined up on the runway and ready to begin your takeoff roll, press the “SET G LIMITER” to disable Nose Wheel Steering.

Yes, saw that but unlike TC, who looks to be the best client of his own workout facility, Mr.K seems to have been practising hard to fly a desk instead of an F-14.. The ice sorta melted on him, he turned into the Puddleman now..
    To be fair Val Kilmer is recovering from throat cancer in real life. I like that even though they were extremely competitive in the first film, they became life long friends. I guess they were on the same side after all.

I’ve got terrible graphics problems. This is what my add-on looks like… https://youtu.be/bEzbim8peGU?t=28

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    To change the pilot figure, go to the MSFS "OPTIONS" window and select "GENERAL OPTIONS", and then select the "MISC" menu. If you set the pilot figure to "DEFAULT", it will place a modern fighter pilot dressed figure in the cockpit. You also have to have it set to DEFAULT in order to have the pilot displayed with Maverick's helmet when using the Top Gun movie paint scheme. Alternatively, no matter which aircraft you are flying, you can also now select a modern fighter pilot figure (male/female), as shown below.

For nose wheel steering in the F/A-18, there is a key assignment called "SET NOSE WHEEL STEERING TO LIMIT" (easy to find by just using the search function) and I have it assigned to a pinky switch on my CH Fighterstick. I don't know if it is required, but I also have my rudder pedals assigned to the "NOSE WHEEL STEERING AXIS" assignment, in addition to the regular rudder pedal axis assignments.

One more question
    Can fuel tanks be added,and open canopy?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Members who have read this thread: 0