Which P-38

Thread: Which P-38

Icon5 Which P-38

Hi guys,

A small question which P-38 are you flying?

Are you flying the payware JustFlight/Aeroplane Heaven one?

Perhaps you are flying the payware Sky Unlimited one?

Or are you flying the freeware one by David C. Copley?

The reason I ask is because I'm working on a P-38 repaint to go with Ian's Ft Glenn scenery. As I prefer the VC from the JF/AH one, I started to do the repaint for this one. However I realised that you might not have this payware model.
    The repaint is in a very early stage, however as it is an early AH model, I need to check whether the odd texture lay-out, common for early AH models, actually allows me to do this repaint.

(I already encountered some "challenging" surprises!)

Cheers,
    Huub

David C. Copley's P-38J for me Hub.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

I'm using David C. Copley's Definitive Lightning For Fs9!

Christopher Tarana

Because I have it, the JF-AH one huub

Blog Entries
    I am flying David C. Copley's P-38s.

Probably know this already... but you can d/l a fully functional AH P38 Demo from justflight... worth gettin the rest!!Cheers mav

Bit sad here, got them all. Happy with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Bit sad here, got them all. Happy with whatever you decide.
    Me too...

Ttfn

Pete

Does anyone know how I can purchase the sky version?

Quote Originally Posted by anels9 View Post
    Does anyone know how I can purchase the sky version?
    It is still available at PC Aviator: https://www.pcaviator.com/store/prod...cat=608&page=1

Cheers,
    Huub

Cheers huub. For some reason only the link to the Aussie pc aviator came up and said was out of stock. But thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by anels9 View Post
    Cheers huub. For some reason only the link to the Aussie pc aviator came up and said was out of stock. But thanks for that
    Hopefully this page is not out dated and its not out of stock here.....

The texture lay-out from the Sky Unlimited P-38 is very similar to the lay-out used by David Copley. (I think the models are actually close relatives...) The complete external textures are on one single 1024 x 1024 file. Which makes them relatively easy to repaint, but due to the low resolution, it is hard/impossible to do a very detailed repaint. The JF/AH uses 8 files for the external model, due to which the nose art will be sharper, but the lay-out is "quite complex" (to say it (very) mildly). Texture parts are repeated. There are unclear "jumps" and "gaps". There is also a difference in scale between some textures. And when I add the unit logo on the radiator, it will appear at 4 places!

The "Spirit of 76" was an P38-E model, but there is no "E" model available for FS2004. The F model looked quite similar, which means the Sky Unlimited P-38 isn't a real option as the "Legacy of the Sky: P-38 Lightnings of WWII Vol.1" only contains the later P-38J, P-38K, P-38L, and F-5E models and I'm not aware the announced package with the earlier versions was ever released.

So to serve as many I can, I will try to finish the JF/AH repaint (for various reasons I'm actually not making much progress) and will do a version for Dave Copley's P38-F, based on the paintkit by Dan Swart afterwards.

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    Probably know this already... but you can d/l a fully functional AH P38 Demo from justflight... worth gettin the rest!!Cheers mav
    Thank you for posting the link Mav. I tried out the demo and it is a very nice flying airplane with many features and details.

Icon4

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hopefully this page is not out dated and its not out of stock here.....

The texture lay-out from the Sky Unlimited P-38 is very similar to the lay-out used by David Copley. (I think the models are actually close relatives...) The complete external textures are on one single 1024 x 1024 file. Which makes them relatively easy to repaint, but due to the low resolution, it is hard/impossible to do a very detailed repaint. The JF/AH uses 8 files for the external model, due to which the nose art will be sharper, but the lay-out is "quite complex" (to say it (very) mildly). Texture parts are repeated. There are unclear "jumps" and "gaps". There is also a difference in scale between some textures. And when I add the unit logo on the radiator, it will appear at 4 places!

The "Spirit of 76" was an P38-E model, but there is no "E" model available for FS2004. The F model looked quite similar, which means the Sky Unlimited P-38 isn't a real option as the "Legacy of the Sky: P-38 Lightnings of WWII Vol.1" only contains the later P-38J, P-38K, P-38L, and F-5E models and I'm not aware the announced package with the earlier versions was ever released.

So to serve as many I can, I will try to finish the JF/AH repaint (for various reasons I'm actually not making much progress) and will do a version for Dave Copley's P38-F, based on the paintkit by Dan Swart afterwards.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub,

Skyunlimited does have a volume 2, which contains the E,F,G&H.

Hurricane91,
    No problemo....

Cheers mav

Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    Huub,

Skyunlimited does have a volume 2, which contains the E,F,G&H.

Cheers mav
    Mav,

As said, I was not aware. Do you know whether is it still available somewhere? The closest thing which pops up when I do a search is the volume 1 set with the late models, or the set by Bazzar (JF/.AH).

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,

Only site i know is www.skyunlimited.net..... and that's gone.

Cheers mav

Try this:

Download the Flight1 installer from here (click on the purchase after download link):
    https://web.archive.org/web/20101224....net/p38v2.htm

Purchase Legacy of the Sky P-38 Lightnings Vol. 2 (Early Lightnings) as you would have previously any other Flight1 installer product; details of your flight1 purchase should come up in your active flight1 account

cheers!

Thanks for the tip Wolfenbee. personally I wasn't a huge fan of the Flight1 wrapper system. So I was pleased to see they had abandoned it. However I can't say I really like the new Flight1-Agent system, which in place now. When I purchase something I like to be in control over it. With digital products I understand some verification is needed. But the current Flight1 Agent is overdone in my opinion.

Now you are required to install a software package, which is mainly used to distribute advertising, to enable you to activate your purchase. And even worse all purchases I made under the "wrapper" system, are not in it.

ORBX scenery can also only be installed with their tools, but at least their software works as advertised and is quite functional.

So I have shared enough frustration for one day

Cheers,
    Huub

The "Spirit of 76" livery for the JF/AH is slowly coming together.....

Still a lot to do!

Cheers,
    Huub

For me, i go for the DCC model, more variants, inc photo birds and its at a price you cant beat

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    For me, i go for the DCC model, more variants, inc photo birds and its at a price you cant beat
    ....and there's a version with proper engines, even if it is fictional.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    I know.....

Cheers,
    Huub

To illustrate how fast you can repaint the DCC P-38. It took me less than 40 minutes to produce this from Dan Swart's paintkit.

The subject of this repaint is a Lightning F-5E serial 42-8624, of 34th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 10th PG, Chalgrove, England, June, 1944. (Ouch give me 5 minutes extra to correct the numbers!)

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0