Some basic setups

Thread: Some basic setups

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Some basic setups

Hey guys,

Here is some basics on setting up XP9.

INSTALLATION
    First, if you have the latest 6CD version, realise that installation can take an entire day if you install all CD's. Basically its one CD, (CD1) and the rest are all sections of the world in terrain and textures. If you fly mainly Canada, America and Europe, then you will only need 2 of those 5 CD's.

You can install onto another drive. I have mine on an external drive, along with FSX and FS2004. Just place the proper location in the destination bar before hitting the 'Install' button.

If you already have XP9 in C drive and wish to move it, its terribly easy. Transfer the sections of the sim over to a new location Drive into a new X-Plane folder. Then boot it up from that location with your CD1 in the CD drive and it should run fine.

FULL SCREEN MODE / RESOLUTION
    After you install it, you will note that there is now 'full screen mode'. XP9 has a 'resolution setting' in its Setting section that you tune for this. Thus you will have 'one' screen size most of the time, unless you wish to change it. The change doesnt happen immediately. Restart the sim after making a change.

For those who have a 24 inch monitor, try 1920 X 1200 resolution setting.

A quick way to find out your monitor setting is to right click your screen and select properties (in Windows) and check your screen resolution there. Then enter that or 'less' for your XP9 screen resolution. Less so you can have your Windows toolbar at the bottom.

VC RESOLUTION AND PANEL DISTANCE PRESET
    Next, and this one I think is extremely important.. VC view in XP9 seems to be very 'close' to the panel. They call this 'Lateral Field of View in XP9. In FS, its called Zoom. In XP9, to adjust this to be farther away from the panel (in default zoom), simply go to Settings, go to Lateral Field of View, and plug in something like 70 (for 70 degrees of Lat Field of View), and you should be good to go. Less for closer to the panel effect, more for a zoomed out view.

The change will occur after you reboot the sim. Might as well make all settings changes now, then reboot the sim.

On mine, I also put Texture Resolution (also found in Settings selection center) and set this to 'Extreme' setting. This is your overall textures resolution in the sim, just like in FS.

CHANGING KEYBOARD ASSIGNMENTS
    You can also set the regular keyboard selections to FS settings. I found this to be a must for things like VC view (S key) and other such key selections.

To change your Keyboard selections, go to Settings (top toolbar), select Joystick and Equipment, select Keys tab at top, and there you will find all of your keyboard settings entries. Just go through and set which ever you wish to activate what you want in XP9.

There is alot of cross wiring if you wish to change most all of the keys, and XP9 has some cool views and tools (like flight path types shown in 3D for observing your flight, kind of like what students use to see how they are doing in pattern flights), etc, so you will need to write down those keys if you overwrite them with standard FS keys so you can program the XP9 keys back in for them to be useable again. (Taking a key away from an existing command will nullify them until you give them a replacement key, of course).

If you wish to do a LOT of the Keys conversions all at once, you 'might' try using the 'manual' route of programming them. This is similar to going into the FS config file. XP9 has a keyboard config file found here;
    XP9 folder/Resources/Preferences and look for the file 'Keys X-Plane.PRF'. Open the PRF file with Notepad. You will see all your keyboard option commands. Just go through that if you like and manually program in the keys into the 'first' points on each line string. If a zone/string/command doesnt have a key, then it will say 'none' in the first section of a string.

Here is a section from the Keys file;

S <none> sim/view/3d_cockpit_toggle
    S CTRL sim/view/3d_cockpit_mouse_look
    ; CTRL sim/view/free_view_toggle
    <none> <none> sim/view/show_physics_model
    O <none> sim/view/3d_path_toggle
    <none> <none> sim/view/mouse_click_regions_toggle
    <none> <none> sim/view/instrument_descriptions_toggle
    F5 <none> sim/flight_controls/flaps_up
    F8 <none> sim/flight_controls/flaps_down
    U CTRL sim/flight_controls/landing_gear_up
    D CTRL sim/flight_controls/landing_gear_down

Note the top one uses S key to get to VC view, and F5 is the Flaps Up command, etc. This might be faster for you to do a high speed FS key layout conversion. I highly recommend though that you save a copy of this file so that you can change back, fix, copy/paste/repair sections if you mess things up.

I hope that helps.. :d

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

SOH-CM-2014
    Here is my personal 'Keys X-Plane' file if you want to try it out. Just remember to backup your own to change yours back.

Mine has alot of the FS standard keys plugged in. However, note that you will have some issues, like S key will not bounce you through all views, but instead will only take you to VC view. This is because XP9 is wired differently then FS. FS S key rotates through views, XP9 has keys that take you to a view instead, one key per view, not one key for all views.

Try at your own risk.

Note, I converted the file to TXT format. When you go to install this, backup/rename your original to Key-XPlane.PRFbackup and then rename the format of mine to PRF format, then drop it in the folder.

My list isnt completely finished either. Ive been so busy with making planes lately that I havent had a chance to fully redo the list to FS layouts..

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Bill,

Have you tried the "Pg Up" and "Pg Dn" keys for zooming in the 3-D cockpit? I changed my lateral view to about 60, and then I can use those keys to fine tune it.

Jim

SOH-CM-2014
    I did, but my farthest Zoom Out view point was still too close to the panel. I guess I like to be far away from it, lol...

harleyman
    Nice Bill....

After this gets more info in it can I add all to the end of yours and chop it and stick it?

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Nice Bill....

After this gets more info in it can I add all to the end of yours and chop it and stick it?
    Yep!

:d

Charter Member 2015
    How is the ATC?

David :typing:

Quote Originally Posted by Pepere View Post
    How is the ATC?

David :typing:
    Horrible. It's one of XP's biggest downfalls, along with lack of AI and detailed airports.

Jim

SOH-CM-2014
    Jim's on it.. Horrible.. It uses an electronic voice.

They really need to redo that with voices..

Bill

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
    Horrible. It's one of XP's biggest downfalls, along with lack of AI and detailed airports.

Jim
    Yuck! Well maybe it will improve? I wish someone would up grade/date FSX's ATC...

David

Thanks mate, didn't know how to alter that VC view yet! Glad I found it! Now I just need to get a stutterless TrackIR setup and I'm happy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Just a idea i have. Some of us have the X-52 setup. Is there any profiles available for X-plane and can a x-plane profile be made to some what match the default fsx with some minor tweeks needed for x-plane. It would give a building block for a user to work out his or her control specs and assignment of keys and buttons.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Trans_1007 View Post
    Just a idea i have. Some of us have the X-52 setup. Is there any profiles available for X-plane and can a x-plane profile be made to some what match the default fsx with some minor tweeks needed for x-plane. It would give a building block for a user to work out his or her control specs and assignment of keys and buttons.

Hey Trans_1007,

I have never created a Saitek profile. However, I have alot of my buttons that I use for FS set up in XP9 to be the same (as much as possible), such as AP on/off, S, W, heading bug increment, heading bug decrement, elevator trim up, elevator trim down, gear, flaps, etc. Can you click a 'save as profile' button somewhere to create a Profile?

EDIT: I have the Saitek X-45... (now a classic I suppose, lol).

Bill

Retired SOH Administrator
    Thanks Mr. Lionheart,

... I appreciate it, man! ... It is really stressful to find out how the sim works-from keys to TrackIr to everything! especially for a beginner like me... where i want to fly to relax and ending up more stressed (than relaxed) discovering what i need to learn myself comes complicated!

Being a computer challenged myself, a post like this is really helpful considering I understood 65% of what really it is all about! Overall my simming with XP9 is better than the days I started!

Eli

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did some experimenting with some settings last night and I think it improved things. By default, stabilization is set at 25% on pitch, roll, and yaw. I set those to 0. The sliders for linear to non-linear were also set at 25%. I slid those right to 100%. It gives much more of a feeling of weight and GA planes don't feel like fighters. 100% might be too much, and I'll experiment with it but I think it's a lot better than default.

Jim

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chacha View Post
    Thanks Mr. Lionheart,

... I appreciate it, man! ... It is really stressful to find out how the sim works-from keys to TrackIr to everything! especially for a beginner like me... where i want to fly to relax and ending up more stressed (than relaxed) discovering what i need to learn myself comes complicated!

Being a computer challenged myself, a post like this is really helpful considering I understood 65% of what really it is all about! Overall my simming with XP9 is better than the days I started!

Eli

Hey Eli,

Glad its working smoother for you. The difficult part of this is finding out where the keys are and how to set things up. Once you get past that, you simply fly and relax.

:d

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
    I did some experimenting with some settings last night and I think it improved things. By default, stabilization is set at 25% on pitch, roll, and yaw. I set those to 0. The sliders for linear to non-linear were also set at 25%. I slid those right to 100%. It gives much more of a feeling of weight and GA planes don't feel like fighters. 100% might be too much, and I'll experiment with it but I think it's a lot better than default.

Jim

Thanks Jim for sharing that! I am going to check that out tonight. I think the 172 is just too touchy and have wanted to figure out how to adjust that.

Bill

PS: Thanks for the Clouds adjusting advice. They are really looking good now.

Bill

SOH-CM-2014

Selecting Liveries (repaints) in an aircraft

Hey guys (and gals)

To select the various paint schemes that a plane may come with (such as the stock Cissna 172), you would select 'Aircraft' (top menu bar) and select Open Livery. There you will see what all livery (paint schemes) the plane will come with. Select away until you find one you like.

:ernae:

(just discovered this myself, lol.. So much to learn).

Bill

hobofat
    Thanks for this thread Lionheart, I was stumped on how to zoom back on the panel and here's the answer! XP9...very different, better in some ways, not as good in others. I like having all three main sims (XP9, FS9, FSX). I will say a HUGE plus to XP9 is being able to load whatever scenery you want...I mainly in Hawaii, I currently only have Hawaii loaded. Saves disk space!

Hey Bill any way to get you text file with the key settings back up here. Would really love to have it.

Chris